MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Minor power steering fluid leak.. (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/223555-minor-power-steering-fluid-leak.html)

mihir_d 12-22-2007 02:49 PM

Minor power steering fluid leak..
 
I was diagnosed with a very minor power steering fluid leak last year through my 100K mile service.

The leak was so little, my SA advised just to ignore it for now & worry about it only when it gets a little bigger..

Its been a year now, and although the leak doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, it is a steady annoyance...2-3 drops over night...a small puddle if left parked for a week and so on. Replenishing needed every 3-4 months.

I was at the local autozone today, and just happened to discuss this issue with one of their reps. They first confirmed that the power steering fluid that the ML uses is of non-mineral type and then recommended, I try this product from Hi-Performance Lucas - it is power steering fluid that when put in the reservoir is supposed to plug minor leaks. I bought the bottle because it was only about $10, but am sceptical of putting non-MB fluids in the vehicle.

Here's link at the lucas website about their product:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Does anyone have any experiences with putting non-MB power steering fluid in the truck, that they might want to share?

ruey220 12-22-2007 11:07 PM

my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.

SLR199 12-23-2007 12:11 AM

Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.

mihir_d 12-23-2007 12:32 AM

Thanks for your pointer..
 

Originally Posted by SLR199 (Post 2564381)
Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.

There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.

ruey220 12-23-2007 01:56 AM


Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2564400)
There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.


great golly that SA said it is a $180 job and told you not to worry about it when it is leaking at a rate of refill every 3-4 months? That fluid is making a mess in the environment, your undercarriage, the garage (hope nobody slips and breaks a bone from that leaked fluid)

that is why i said he probably wants your pump to break if you forget to put the fluid. my SA was the worse, he knows my pump doesn't need replacement then went on to quote me a $1k job to have the leaking just like yours stopped.

ruey220 12-23-2007 02:00 AM


Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2564400)
There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.


i'm glad you didn't go with the lucas fluid approach. I think that's more for the mechanical old design 1960's-1970's leaking power steering pumps that were very primitive in design and had the wear and tear meat of a construction vs today's mass produced fabricated save every penny, every ounce of material to maximize a buck type of design.

golfman1966 12-23-2007 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by SLR199 (Post 2564381)
Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.

Or it could be the o-ring between the pump and the reservoir. I've had to replace mine once.

bettyboop 12-24-2007 01:38 AM

Scary that your power steering fluid is leaking. I went to start my '03 ML350 this afternoon, heard a strange noise, and then the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I got out and looked and there was fluid streaming out. Unfortunately, the service dept is closed until Wed so the ML will have to stay parked on the hill. It'll be interesting how we're going to tow it to the dealership. I'm pretty sure this will be covered under warranty as I bought my ML350 as a CPO in Sept and I've barely driven 3000 miles since.

ruey220 12-24-2007 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by bettyboop (Post 2565461)
Scary that your power steering fluid is leaking. I went to start my '03 ML350 this afternoon, heard a strange noise, and then the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I got out and looked and there was fluid streaming out. Unfortunately, the service dept is closed until Wed so the ML will have to stay parked on the hill. It'll be interesting how we're going to tow it to the dealership. I'm pretty sure this will be covered under warranty as I bought my ML350 as a CPO in Sept and I've barely driven 3000 miles since.

that's just the hose that came off. put another one and you'll be fine.

mihir_d 12-24-2007 09:11 PM

It was the O-ring between the reservior and pump in my case..
 
Took it to the dealer today...they opened up the service history...it was documented as a leak between the reservoir and the pump.

$180 to replace the reservoir and refill new fluid.

I asked, why replace the whole reservoir when only O ring can be replaced? Was given 2 reasons.

1. Cost of reservoir is a mere $32
2. Reservoir has an irreplaceable power steering fluid filter which is probably clogged enough at 100K miles to justify a replacement.

Just got it done today...nice to be at peace of mind...

Mr_Biggles 01-17-2008 12:14 PM

Hi all

The top hose has just come off on our 2000 ML at 220K KM. This is the 2nd time for sure, possibly the third. The previous owner had the recall performed once, maybe twice but he can't remember. He did add a second hose clamp. So does anyone have an opinion as to what the problem is? Poor hose design, poor clamps, no bead on the hose barb on the cooler? Combination of these?

Would roughing up the hose barb with emery cloth and using two clamps help keep it on there?

Thanks. Derek.

cmitch 01-19-2008 12:41 AM


Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2566350)
Took it to the dealer today...they opened up the service history...it was documented as a leak between the reservoir and the pump.

$180 to replace the reservoir and refill new fluid.

I asked, why replace the whole reservoir when only O ring can be replaced? Was given 2 reasons.

1. Cost of reservoir is a mere $32
2. Reservoir has an irreplaceable power steering fluid filter which is probably clogged enough at 100K miles to justify a replacement.

Just got it done today...nice to be at peace of mind...

$180? Whew! Both ML's had reservoirs that are/were leaking. I still need to do the 99ML430 but I replaced the 2002ML320 about 2 months ago. The reservoir was cracked on it but I believe it's just the o-ring on the 99. It's about a 45 minute job.

mihir_d 01-20-2008 12:11 PM

Yep, its exactly about a 45 minute job...
 
1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 2606193)
$180? Whew! Both ML's had reservoirs that are/were leaking. I still need to do the 99ML430 but I replaced the 2002ML320 about 2 months ago. The reservoir was cracked on it but I believe it's just the o-ring on the 99. It's about a 45 minute job.

They charged me 1 hour labor for it. Here's the part you cannot DIY though, unless you have a lift.

Wipe the undercarriage, and inspect it with a flashlight to ensure, the reservoir & O-ring were the only source of the leak...and there are no more drippings..

Attachment 407644

lcabre55 01-18-2011 05:27 PM

lucas power steering fluid works!
 
my 2001 ml 320 had a small leak as well. i took it to my mechanic and they told me to buy the lucas power steering fluid that you were talking about, and this fluid defenetly fix the problem. i no longer have any more noise from my pump. i dont think it cause any damages to your vehicle. after u have no more leaks u can replace the fluid with ur regular mercedes fluid.

Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2563750)
I was diagnosed with a very minor power steering fluid leak last year through my 100K mile service.

The leak was so little, my SA advised just to ignore it for now & worry about it only when it gets a little bigger..

Its been a year now, and although the leak doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, it is a steady annoyance...2-3 drops over night...a small puddle if left parked for a week and so on. Replenishing needed every 3-4 months.

I was at the local autozone today, and just happened to discuss this issue with one of their reps. They first confirmed that the power steering fluid that the ML uses is of non-mineral type and then recommended, I try this product from Hi-Performance Lucas - it is power steering fluid that when put in the reservoir is supposed to plug minor leaks. I bought the bottle because it was only about $10, but am sceptical of putting non-MB fluids in the vehicle.

Here's link at the lucas website about their product:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Does anyone have any experiences with putting non-MB power steering fluid in the truck, that they might want to share?


lcabre55 01-18-2011 05:32 PM

using a fluid that stops leaks is not like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. when the car heats up to its noral temperture the fluid actually works as a regular power steering fluid. although it is not an MB fluid, it does not cause any damages to the pump or the racks. i have used it and it does works.

Originally Posted by ruey220 (Post 2564319)
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.


Marshall_K 01-19-2011 01:20 AM

How long
 
How long have you been running your truck with this fix?

Redwingedfreak 02-11-2011 02:42 PM

I had the same problem, did what you were told and then took it in when the problem got worse... several hunderds later i drive home with new power steering pump.

2 days later the hose flies off when I start it and I've got a puddle of fluid in my driveway...

c3212571 02-11-2011 08:22 PM

Factory recall.

benzeboy 02-17-2011 03:08 PM

Using a fluid to stop a leak is only a temporary fix.I had leaks both at the reservoir and the hose. I put a new reservoir in and a second hose clamp on the hose. Simple job no more leaks.:zoom:

drdoruk 11-08-2013 12:35 PM

hello,
2006 ML 350 75,000miles
At several oil changes, I've been told before that "the power steering fluid tank is leaking from top". I have moved to a new condo, and they are a bit meticulous about leaks in the parking lot. I had no leaking issues, however, since I have had a new oil change and they topped off the fluids, I got a warning to fix it from the condo management.

I tried to wait it our until it leaks the excess, but it's not stopping :( One thing comes to my mind is to lower the level of power steering fluid. Or the wise way might be just getting it fixed. I have taken a price from the highly rated oil change place and they quoted me $80 for the parts + $150 for labor. I called the mercedes service and I was told there was an update to the part so I have to change both the tank and the pump totaling something close to $1000.

I was thinking maybe it's just the seal or the o-ring that causes the leak. but I coudln't get to open the tank, it doesn't simply unscrew, and I was late for work didn't want to get my hands dirty trying to figure it out.

I believe prices on amazon would be way cheaper. But this call to service threw in a monkey wrench :(
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

art_arev 11-13-2013 04:57 PM


Originally Posted by drdoruk (Post 5837154)
hello,
2006 ML 350 75,000miles
At several oil changes, I've been told before that "the power steering fluid tank is leaking from top". I have moved to a new condo, and they are a bit meticulous about leaks in the parking lot. I had no leaking issues, however, since I have had a new oil change and they topped off the fluids, I got a warning to fix it from the condo management.

I tried to wait it our until it leaks the excess, but it's not stopping :( One thing comes to my mind is to lower the level of power steering fluid. Or the wise way might be just getting it fixed. I have taken a price from the highly rated oil change place and they quoted me $80 for the parts + $150 for labor. I called the mercedes service and I was told there was an update to the part so I have to change both the tank and the pump totaling something close to $1000.

I was thinking maybe it's just the seal or the o-ring that causes the leak. but I coudln't get to open the tank, it doesn't simply unscrew, and I was late for work didn't want to get my hands dirty trying to figure it out.

I believe prices on amazon would be way cheaper. But this call to service threw in a monkey wrench :(
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!

Sorry but you are in the wrong forum. This is W163 yours is W164

michael3158030 01-06-2016 03:43 PM


Originally Posted by ruey220 (Post 2564319)
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.

Lol! You are so rite about that bro!
I have power steering leak 08 R350 can't find where it coming from yet?
Dealer, just like you sad, told me not to worry about it till it will cost me $4000! WTF? Forget about it, don't know what I 'm going to do, but for now just adding more fluid thats all I guess.

mihir_d 01-06-2016 03:56 PM

If it is the steering rack..look for a rebuilt one...
 
I eventually ended up working with a steering rack rebuilder online, who exchanged my core for a rebuilt one (for around $600)...and I spent another $400ish getting it installed.

A rebuilt rack does not restore the steering feel to 100% factory, but works just well. I have had the rebuilt rack for 2.5 years now...no problems..and no more leaks.

Steering rack rubber seals wear out in about 8-10 years time...not much that can be done about it. Best approach is to go with rebuilt parts to keep the cost low.

Good luck!

nebo 08-30-2018 10:29 PM

Other possibilities
 

Originally Posted by ruey220 (Post 2564319)
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.

You might consider the possibility that the consumer misunderstood the sales pitch. I have found Auto Zone to be the MB owner's best friend when it comes to avoiding the dealership rates; might point out I voted the local MB dealership has the best service manager and staff in the entire nation). I had a minor leak in the area of the power steering and the local oil change store that I once went to pointed out to me that it was dangerous for me to even drive home (4 blocks away). Now for $611 they will replace my power steering pump, not counting fluid. So I wanted a second opinion, Auto Zone technician showed me a can of additive that softens the seal on the pump. It didn't work at first, two months later it had stopped leaking altogether.I save $508 dollars. Now, 5000 miles later, I have a minor leak again, but it's 105 degree summer here on the desert. I will continue to add fluid and put a mat under the front end of the car. Problem solved.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands