MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   MB has stopped supporting 2000-2002 model years CD based Nav. systems (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/228454-mb-has-stopped-supporting-2000-2002-model-years-cd-based-nav-systems.html)

mihir_d 01-28-2008 08:16 PM

MB has stopped supporting 2000-2002 model years CD based Nav. systems

This is confirmed news now.

I just got off the parts rep. at the dealer. The last update for the CD based system was in 2004.

The only option to getting the updated maps to the Nav system for the 2000-2002 owners is to upgrade to the DVD based system.

2000-2002 are less than 10 year old model years and there is no support...I guess, the 1999 model year folks who got the nav. are in the same boat too...the 1999 folks are worse off because there was no MCS in 1999 - the option to upgrade the drive isn't even there for them.

Hate to say it, but MB has certainly put me off with this...I bought MB with keeping it for 15 years in mind...I am only half way through..and the support from MB is already going away..

----
On another note, a friend of mine with a 2001 C class just had his fuel pump go bad...$1000 fix at just about 100K miles...apart from the $2000 for the transmission flush, spark plugs and new rotors/pads.

He is selling his C class for a mere $7000 (KBB value) after paying $40+K for it new and all these expensive repairs.

He too had plans to keep it for 15 years...but his love affair with the MB was even short lived then mine..
----

I probably will not buy an MB again...

jfamondone 02-12-2008 07:07 PM

MBZ NAV NO Support

Hello All,
I have a 2002 ML 320,(just over 5 years old) Yes, I have to agree, that after doing everything to keep my Mercedes - Benz ML 320 looking good and as close to showroom condition as I can, the dealer says that my "system" is outdated and that there will be no further Navigation Updates. The last update I purchased was 2004.1 CD version. I believe that MBZ should continue the CD & DVD nav updates for at minimum 10 years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002 ML 320, Everest Green Metallic / Java Leather,
MCS Navigation System,Trip Computer,OEM Mercedes ML Series Chrome Rear Gate Trim, Chrome Door Handle Covers, Locking Safebox, Mercedes "STAR" Chrome License Plate Frame, Rear Cargo Net, CD Changer, Mercedes Benz Windshield Decal, Armrest Wood / Java Cap, Chrome Grill Strips, MBZ Logo OEM Floor Mats.

2003 E320, Brilliant Silver / Charcoal Leather, Star Grill, Telephone Package, Wood & Leather Steering Wheel

SLR199 02-12-2008 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2622836)
On another note, a friend of mine with a 2001 C class just had his fuel pump go bad...$1000 fix at just about 100K miles...apart from the $2000 for the transmission flush, spark plugs and new rotors/pads.

He is selling his C class for a mere $7000 (KBB value) after paying $40+K for it new and all these expensive repairs.

He too had plans to keep it for 15 years...but his love affair with the MB was even short lived then mine..
----

I probably will not buy an MB again...

Trust me, they will not be hurting. I could imagine why you would be upset about it, but there is just no sense in producing that anymore. Its much cheaper for them to produce a DVD based navigation disc that can be used for several model years than to keep producing CD based nav discs for only 2 model years. They probably arent making the sales they need to make for them to consider producing them anymore. And about your friends situation, thats just stupid to complain about. He bought a Mercedes, the car was expensive, so why wouldnt the parts an repairs be expensive. He knew what he was getting himself into before he bought it.

JohnCL 02-12-2008 10:24 PM

Glad I have the DVD nav. I just called on a new DVD and it was quoted at $285.

Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2622836)
----
On another note, a friend of mine with a 2001 C class just had his fuel pump go bad...$1000 fix at just about 100K miles...apart from the $2000 for the transmission flush, spark plugs and new rotors/pads.----

Did he at least get dinner before that screwing?? :D

Mike's ML 02-13-2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 2651074)
Glad I have the DVD nav. I just called on a new DVD and it was quoted at $285.
Did he at least get dinner before that screwing?? :D

Latest DVD Nav Disc directly from Navteq.com is $199 + shipping.
Mike

Mike's ML 02-13-2008 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SLR199 (Post 2651002)
Trust me, they will not be hurting. I could imagine why you would be upset about it, but there is just no sense in producing that anymore. Its much cheaper for them to produce a DVD based navigation disc that can be used for several model years than to keep producing CD based nav discs for only 2 model years. They probably arent making the sales they need to make for them to consider producing them anymore. And about your friends situation, thats just stupid to complain about. He bought a Mercedes, the car was expensive, so why wouldnt the parts an repairs be expensive. He knew what he was getting himself into before he bought it.

I disagree with just about everything you stated.
Mike

JohnCL 02-13-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mike's ML (Post 2651735)
Latest DVD Nav Disc directly from Navteq.com is $199 + shipping.
Mike

Cool, thanks. I will have to go check it out. :y

Porschenut 02-13-2008 12:04 PM

This is a very sad situation that's BS really. No OEM hitch available and now this? I called my dealer looking for the Canadian Nav CD for my area was told that they weren't individually available anymore. My only option was to buy the Canadian box set which was something around $500.

mihir_d 02-13-2008 08:06 PM

Trust me, they will not be hurting. I could imagine why you would be upset about it, but there is just no sense in producing that anymore. Its much cheaper for them to produce a DVD based navigation disc that can be used for several model years than to keep producing CD based nav discs for only 2 model years. They probably arent making the sales they need to make for them to consider producing them anymore.

It would make a lot of economic sense for Mercedes to stop supporting MBs that are 20+ years old, but there is a reason they continue to support them.

Its the MB brand - MBs are supposed to be driven forever.....at least that's the brand image...

"Some 76% of MBs ever produced are still on the road"..."MB is the only company that provides lifetime roadside assistance because of what the company thinks about their car's longitivity and reliability" - these were some of the sales pitches thrown at me when I was at the dealership shopping for the ML.

I purchased the ML with the idea of keeping it for 15+ years...I am only at 7 and the company thinks, I need not be supported anymore...I have been eyeing the GL class for replacing my 2000 ML in the year 2012. But, now it seriously needs a second thought.

Being a tech. buff, I tend to load the technology aspect of the car I purchase heavily. But, how long before the technology stuff of the 2012 GL goes obsolete.

For all those DVD drive owners, how long will it be before MB puts in a HD-DVD or a blueray drive. People who purchase new MLs with the DVD drives in the last 2 years before the switch will suffer the same way as we CD drive owners are suffering now.

Past the HD-DVD & Blueray, in site is the HVD format (storage capacity 4.2 tera bytes)...and this story will go on and on..

And about your friends situation, thats just stupid to complain about. He bought a Mercedes, the car was expensive, so why wouldnt the parts an repairs be expensive. He knew what he was getting himself into before he bought it.

I don't think, my friend is complaining about the expensive repairs...its the fact that the fuel pump had to die at 110K miles..I just traded in a 1995 Maxima with 190K miles on it...

Unlike my ML, the dashboard bulbs never blew on it, the CPS never had to be replaced, the CATs never cracked, same with the fuel pump, the wiper motor, the door lock actuators and the list can go on and on....

It was another story if the fuel pump on the C class had failed at 250K miles...the Japanese have figured out how to make the car's major components last for so long. Why can't the german cars do the same, or last even longer as they should with the higher price points?

When one buys an expensive car, the expectation is to get a certain value out of the purchase. My friend is complaining about the fact that after spending $40K on the purchase of his C Class, he is getting only half the life of what a $20K Civic, Corolla or an Altima would have easily given him without needing multiple major repairs..

That's the point!

BeachAssault 03-02-2008 03:01 PM

My 430 came with NAV and I hardly ever used it, not because it didn't work - but because it was basically inferior from day one. I have always had a Garmin - since before they had maps in them. Anyway, a Garmin portable unit with FAR better performance, ease of use, etc - has ALWAYS cost about the same as one MB NAV CD update - never mind the base cost of the unit. Garmin can put half the country on ONE CD, but MB limits coverage to just a few states per CD - and for some states like Delware - that coverage is just about useless (don't brake down there!). At least the OEM CDs copy just fine on a PC. It's past time to pull the thing and put in something from BestBuy.

Oh and another thing; now my OEM TelAid unit is useless. Why should the replacement unit cost any more than a high quality digital phone?:slap:

mihir_d 03-05-2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by BeachAssault (Post 2685604)
My 430 came with NAV and I hardly ever used it, not because it didn't work - but because it was basically inferior from day one. I have always had a Garmin - since before they had maps in them. Anyway, a Garmin portable unit with FAR better performance, ease of use, etc - has ALWAYS cost about the same as one MB NAV CD update - never mind the base cost of the unit. Garmin can put half the country on ONE CD, but MB limits coverage to just a few states per CD - and for some states like Delware - that coverage is just about useless (don't brake down there!). At least the OEM CDs copy just fine on a PC. It's past time to pull the thing and put in something from BestBuy.

Oh and another thing; now my OEM TelAid unit is useless. Why should the replacement unit cost any more than a high quality digital phone?:slap:

You still didn't get my point. Whether the MB tech. stuff is outdated compared to what after market stuff you can get is another point.

I am disappointed about the fact that MB has simply stopped supporting relatively older products. The 2000-2002 MBs are just about 6-8 years old...and the support is gone.

As someone pointed out, MB should at least support their products for 10 years...

BryanW203 03-06-2008 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mihir_d (Post 2692468)
You still didn't get my point. Whether the MB tech. stuff is outdated compared to what after market stuff you can get is another point.

I am disappointed about the fact that MB has simply stopped supporting relatively older products. The 2000-2002 MBs are just about 6-8 years old...and the support is gone.

As someone pointed out, MB should at least support their products for 10 years...

I don't see why they should support the NAV system. I also don't see why you care. It has to be the most unfriendly, hard to work, hard to read NAV system out there. Save the $300 you'll spend on cd update and buy a Garmin that you can use anywhere.

BeachAssault 03-08-2008 06:19 PM

Your argument re: coverage - is weak. They do still cover it by replacing it with a more modern unit. It would be completely different if they did not offer an alternative, but they do - so they cover it.

Perhaps you are displeased with the mode at which they chose to support it? I'm not particularly happy with the CD based NAV system in my car either, but I would just as soon see them put their efforts into a (better) replacment then waste time 'supporting' a clear POS.

Buy a Garmin and stick it to the front of the Command Unit display. You'll be much happier with that then any update CD NAV disk - if you could even buy one.

steepjimmy 12-06-2011 12:39 AM

IM SICK... I thought I bought a nice clean Low mile 2000 Ml 320 with a Bose system with Nav.
The guy put in a new Battery and told me I could get the radio code at Taffel MB
Of Louisville Ky. They have given me 4 codes in 4 days that dont work and and they say they dont know why . Are they lying?? Is This unsuported usless audio system that will never except a radio code or play music common knowledge? Should I take a screwdriver to it... Yank it out and stomp it just to get some satisfaction from it?
Or is there any way to get FM out of it. Forget navigation.

mihir_d 12-06-2011 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by steepjimmy (Post 4947962)
IM SICK... I thought I bought a nice clean Low mile 2000 Ml 320 with a Bose system with Nav.
The guy put in a new Battery and told me I could get the radio code at Taffel MB
Of Louisville Ky. They have given me 4 codes in 4 days that dont work and and they say they dont know why . Are they lying?? Is This unsuported usless audio system that will never except a radio code or play music common knowledge? Should I take a screwdriver to it... Yank it out and stomp it just to get some satisfaction from it?
Or is there any way to get FM out of it. Forget navigation.

MB should be able to look up the radio code by the VIN no. of the vehicle. If they can't get the radio code to work, you will get nothing out of it - no FM, no CD - nada..

Mike's ML 12-06-2011 09:43 AM

Another option is to pull the MCS and get the code from the MCS's serial number. The dealer should be able to do this. If they have given you 4 codes already they don't know what they are doing. There should be only one code on file. Sounds they are just giving you random numbers from other vehicles.
Mike

steepjimmy 12-06-2011 11:13 AM

Rabio codes... Louisville.

Well... They gave me a code per the VIN... wouldnt take... I pulled the unit, they gave me a code per the serial #... wouldnt take... They gave me what I suspect was a universal code Because they guarenteed it to work.... It didnt take, They gave me a 4 digit # and told me to put a 0 at the front.. didnt take. I made sure I was entering it correctly. I left my key on till the WAIT went to enter security code...I entered the code... as soon as I entered the last digit the first one starts flashing. I hit the soft key under the OK on the screen... After it goes back to enter code the third time...WAIT... WAIT...WAIT... WAIT. I also tried hitting the seek arrow with the joystick per the web. NO JOY..... Thanks Jim.:nix: