MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   2003 ML500 - need new tires (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/250112-2003-ml500-need-new-tires.html)

mkoechel 06-26-2008 06:55 PM

2003 ML500 - need new tires

Hi Folks!

Time to replace the tires on our 2003 ML500. We have Michelin Cross Terrain's now on the stock rims (275/55/R17) and have been pleased with the ride and wear.

Now the fun part... I was planning to go to my local Sam's Club and take advantage of Michelin's $60 instant rebate -- should be able to do all 4 with mounting for $825.

But... The guy behind the counter says they are only H rated (yep -- the ones I have are H), but his "book" is saying I need a V rated tire.

Can anyone confirm that the H's will be fine or am I playing with fire? We're in the Northeast so I rely on these tires for year round town/highway driving - dry/rain/snow. If It get beyond 90mph it's rare...

Took a spin into Town Fair Tire and they directed me to Yokohama Geolander HT-S at what feels like a ridiculous price ($981) -- felt like I was talking to a used car salesman...

So -- are the Michelin's still the tire of choice, despite being "H" rated, not V?

Thanks,
Martin in NH

azinn 06-26-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mkoechel (Post 2906519)
Hi Folks!

Time to replace the tires on our 2003 ML500. We have Michelin Cross Terrain's now on the stock rims (275/55/R17) and have been pleased with the ride and wear.

Now the fun part... I was planning to go to my local Sam's Club and take advantage of Michelin's $60 instant rebate -- should be able to do all 4 with mounting for $825.

But... The guy behind the counter says they are only H rated (yep -- the ones I have are H), but his "book" is saying I need a V rated tire.

Can anyone confirm that the H's will be fine or am I playing with fire? We're in the Northeast so I rely on these tires for year round town/highway driving - dry/rain/snow. If It get beyond 90mph it's rare...

Took a spin into Town Fair Tire and they directed me to Yokohama Geolander HT-S at what feels like a ridiculous price ($981) -- felt like I was talking to a used car salesman...

So -- are the Michelin's still the tire of choice, despite being "H" rated, not V?

Thanks,
Martin in NH

Yes, unless your planning on driving over 130 MPH. :y

RAFFIE55 06-27-2008 02:41 PM

I am getting Hankook RH07. All 4 out the door for $520.00. I am sick of pay high prices for tires:)

Marshall_K 06-30-2008 12:55 AM

Go to Tirerack

I bought the Dueler H/L Alenza. $688 for four
They are not sporty by any means but the ride is comfortyable and the tread is amazing. No problems in rain or snow and they are quiet.

ruey220 06-30-2008 11:07 AM

manufacturer had to go with the capabilities of the car, not the driver. H is fine for regular driving, but they wanted to put some performance into the equation when they put V on the stock tires. V will not only get better top end, but have some better cornering ability with the softer compound and stiffer sidewalls.

I did notice when I had H rated for awhile, the comfort was much better both on the road and in the wallet.

Originally Posted by mkoechel (Post 2906519)
Hi Folks!

Thanks,
Martin in NH

LoanWolf 07-29-2008 08:27 PM

Due to an alignment issue last year, I had to replace two tires with Conti's rated V. Now the other two are due and I can't find any Contis. The ones I like best now are Goodyears rated H. I am not quite comfortable mixing H rated and V rated tires...What do the experts here recommend??

TIA

Marshall_K 07-30-2008 03:59 PM

IMO

I think that you'll be fine with the H's.
You 'll only see a difference if you put different rated tires on the same axle.

As an aside I've had my Dueler Alenza's up to 100mph w/ no problem.
Not suggested on twisty stuff though

TuneTime 07-30-2008 04:08 PM

i have a set of ML350 take offs for $500... rims and tires brand new... they have mich's....

edit: oops my bad.. they are for a 164!! wrong size!

MissMyBenz 08-17-2008 12:48 AM

I had two sets of Yokohama Geolanders on my old Explorer. The first set was great so despite warnings of noise issues I bought a second set. After less than 10K they were so noisy my wife refused to drive it. Absolutely horrible. I'll be looking for a set for our 03 ML500 in the next year so I'm curious what people have to say.

mkoechel 08-17-2008 10:39 AM

Stuck with the Michelins...

We opted to stay with the Michelin Cross-Terrains again. Got a good deal at our local Sam's Club.

Had a chance to drive them on a long road trip and they felt great. Very comfortable ride and handled the bursts of downpours we seem to be getting in New England lately.

Very satisfied!

Martin in NH

MissMyBenz 09-06-2009 12:52 AM

Any new input? I'm sure I'll need tires soon. It goes in next week to check a dead CD changer and I'm sure they'll tell me it needs new tires before winter and despite not having any excess cash I'm not willing to risk the safety. Just spent 800 on front brakes for the E and looking for new tires for that. Wear bars are very near flush on rear and front isn't much better. When it rains, it pours, so to speak. Thanks for any advice.

Mike's ML 09-06-2009 10:06 AM

Unfortunately the Michelin CrossTerrain’s are no longer available in the SUV sizes. After having 4 sets of Michelin X-Terrains on 3 vehicles I wanted another set for my 05 ML500. TownFair Tire and Sears both had a set of 275/55-17’s for the ML500 but I I went through the V vs H rated argument at Sears and TownFair Tire. They both wanted to sell me the Michelin Latitude Tour XP’s which are V rated. I refused and demanded the X-Terrains or No Sale. I got the X-Terrain H rated tires. I just need to insure that I don’t go over 130 MPH for any length of time. I informed these tire experts that the X-Terrains have the proper load capacity (109) for the ML500. The V & H ratings are Speed ratings not load capacity ratings.
Mike

MissMyBenz 09-11-2009 01:46 AM

The verdict is I'm ready for tires. 22K on the Dunlop SP 5000s from CPO purchase. As I get older, I appreciate quiet and comfort more, but I don't want to give up the performance, as I do drive it fairly hard. Last year's rainstorms did not inspire much confidence with these and sadly I've never had it in the snow. Any other input is appreciated.

mkoechel 09-11-2009 07:35 AM

General Grabber HTS ??

Turns out we're BACK in the market for tires before the winter sets in. This last of set of Michelin Cross Terrains were either mounted wrong, or we had a really bad alignment. So 2 tires have 50% tread left and the other 2 will make it through the summer/fall.

Thought I'd look now with the seasonal rebates hitting...

Tirerack and Tirewarehouse both are recommending the General Grabber HTS.

Looks pretty good; but I'm not familiar with General or this particular tire -- anyone here use them??

Thanks,
Martin in NH

MissMyBenz 09-13-2009 09:44 PM

If I switch to Michelin Latitude Tour HP, am I going to sacrifice dry handling? Realizing it's still a truck, will the comfort and noise improvements be noticeable and how much? Wet performance? The Dunlop SP Sport 5000 doesn't seem to be fantastic but it is about half the cost of the Michelin. Bringing the E in for new tires this week and asked my tire guy for recommendations for the ML. Thanks, again.

hawgwild1 09-12-2010 08:58 PM

how did the hankook's work for you?

RICHER 10-08-2010 11:58 AM

I just replaced my OEM Dunlops with the General Grabber HTS's from Tire Rack (275/55-17) and so far they feel great - only a couple of thousand miles.
Around $700 on-the-road.

hawgwild1 10-08-2010 09:37 PM

Don't even do it!

Have used GENERAL'S BEFORE, NOT IMPRESSED, hANKOOK MAKES A DECENT TIRE FOR LESS THAN $600 OUT THE DOOR FOR 4, yOKOHAHMS ARE OVERPRICED AS ARE MICHELINS. you must rotate every 3,500 miles or else tear up a set of tires. you can go to 5,000 but never on first rotation, that must be done no later than 4,000 miles. TIRE PRO w/ 20 years experience. Generals ride rough and wear fast, poor combo imho

benzml350 10-08-2010 10:41 PM

General is the only tire company on my never buy product list. They came on a new car I bought and by 20K miles three of them spontaneously come apart while driving down the freeway. I've owned 30+ cars with many brands of tires and I've never had anything close to that bad.
Sadly, the Koreans make pretty good tires for the money. I have Hankook snow tires for both of my current vehicles. Paid only $420 out the door for the Benz.

AMG_only 10-11-2010 11:28 AM

Looking at 285/50 18's There are only 3 Tires or so available
It currently has 255/55 18's Pirelli Scorpions on and have alot of tread, but the imprint is 2" narrower, I believe a 1/4 or 1/8 shorter and it drives me nutz. I looked at the tire rack and they are 120 less w/ out shipping, then I have to pay to mount and balance. If I buy locally it's let's say $100 more, free mount , balance, nitrogen, and rotation every 3500, But they are $1100 - 1200.
Looking to get rid of the 255/55 r18 for $100 ea. They all have 10/32

pointman 10-06-2011 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by benzml350 (Post 4289872)
General is the only tire company on my never buy product list. They came on a new car I bought and by 20K miles three of them spontaneously come apart while driving down the freeway. I've owned 30+ cars with many brands of tires and I've never had anything close to that bad.
Sadly, the Koreans make pretty good tires for the money. I have Hankook snow tires for both of my current vehicles. Paid only $420 out the door for the Benz.

Whats so sad about that?