MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   How to get a new key or or replace casing? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/310343-how-get-new-key-replace-casing.html)

hyx_de 08-01-2009 01:07 PM

How to get a new key or or replace casing?

2004 ML350
My key's ring area (the plastic part where you can attach a ring and other keys) broker and separate, there is a big piece missing where a "bridge" used to be.

Is there a tutorial on how to replace the casing? I don't want to mess up my key, it is the only one I have left... :confused:

sosh 08-01-2009 04:49 PM

If its the only one you have get a new Key, must be ordered from a dealer. Keep your current one as an emergency spare. Going to cost you a few bucks but there is really no alturnative

hyx_de 08-01-2009 06:02 PM

I still have the other one some place but that one barely works, the casing that cover the buttons are all chewed up, and they are exposed, it hardly works.

Here is a pic of what mine now looks like:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6779/img00168a.jpg

How much does a new one cost at the dealership (normally)? I was told over $100 plus programming fees..

Marshall_K 08-09-2009 05:03 PM

Correct

The price is expensive since the key has to be validated against the car registration and programmed to the VIN. To replace the case see if you can order a key o n ebay. Replace the case and discard the internals as it won't work for your car. Do a search on these boards for more detailed info

Mike's ML 08-11-2009 09:38 AM

The case halfs are either glued or ultrasonically welded together. I don't know of anyone that has successfully separated the case halfs without screwing them up. I suggest leaving the key as is or repairing the key ring bridge with epoxy and a piece of wire and use as a spare key. A new key may be a good investment. If you get the new key during other maintenance they will usually (most reasonable dealers) program the new key for free.
Your spare key sounds like it is in tough shape. Did the dog eat it?
Mike

hyx_de 08-11-2009 10:01 AM

Hey Mike,
No dog, just some harsh usage.. :) The keys are exactly the same, I don't know which one is spare and which one was the original. I would rather use this seperately because I wouldn't trust an epoxy on this and it may just fall off the ring.

Will check with the dealer during next maintanence.

cdao 09-07-2011 02:15 PM

I just used the dremel tool, carefully grind off the plastic to open up the halfs. I'm going to order the replacement case soon.

Alejo123 09-08-2011 11:44 PM

My key works fine it is just distressed

Originally Posted by cdao (Post 4822982)
I just used the dremel tool, carefully grind off the plastic to open up the halfs. I'm going to order the replacement case soon.

Can you post a picture ?? if possible:confused:

mjchin 09-09-2011 01:29 AM

You can purchase aftermarket replacement key cases off ebay, not OE but beats having a beat up case

cdao 09-09-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alejo123 (Post 4825315)
Can you post a picture ?? if possible:confused:

I'm waiting for the the replacement case ordered off ebay.
Will post the pictures when I have everything.

Alejo123 09-09-2011 08:55 PM

Ok cool I look forward to checking it out...thanks in advance

cdao 09-29-2011 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cdao (Post 4825859)
I'm waiting for the the replacement case ordered off ebay.
Will post the pictures when I have everything.

Here is the write up...

ccweems 01-18-2012 12:58 AM

There are covers and then there are covers...

There are some eBay replacement covers which are perfect cosmetically but they are made out of a more flexible material. The result is that the stress of starting the car can wrench the key, button and spring out of the case, one that is only snapped together. For this case to have a chance you have to glue it together. The OEM cover will snap together and still work without gluing. You should glue it in any case but this test certainly reveals the copies from the OEM. The odd fact is that in my case the eBay'r that had the copies also had OEM covers you just have to push them. I examined the OEM covers with my original remotes and they appeared identical down to the interior mold marks. The copies looked identical (maybe even better) than the OEM but the interior revealed obvious differences in the molds.

Executive summary: when buying replacement covers make sure you get the good OEM covers, they are stronger and cost the same.

FightDoctor 04-22-2012 02:55 PM

Hi guys, I ordered a blank key case from eBay, I carefully split the old key case off with a dental hook, side snips and a small flat screw driver. The new key case came apart without this mess and I removed the blank key, with my key, I then added , and you have to carefully pry it out, a small piece of what seems like a magnet with the dental hook, it's the transmitter /blah that sends signal to start the truck. It's located near the key blade. Then carefully put the spring into key and put case together. I did have to super glue tack weld a few spots to ensure a good fit. Cost $: 20. Easy fix yay

ML430JIM 05-01-2012 07:29 AM

Dealership Keys

I recently went thru the trouble of loosing my only key and having to show the dealership my title, and current drivers license and give them my first born child it felt like!!! The cost was steep $145 but I had a fully working key the next morning and no programming

miketml350 05-13-2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ccweems (Post 5010525)
There are some eBay replacement covers which are perfect cosmetically but they are made out of a more flexible material. The result is that the stress of starting the car can wrench the key, button and spring out of the case, one that is only snapped together. For this case to have a chance you have to glue it together. The OEM cover will snap together and still work without gluing. You should glue it in any case but this test certainly reveals the copies from the OEM. The odd fact is that in my case the eBay'r that had the copies also had OEM covers you just have to push them. I examined the OEM covers with my original remotes and they appeared identical down to the interior mold marks. The copies looked identical (maybe even better) than the OEM but the interior revealed obvious differences in the molds.

Executive summary: when buying replacement covers make sure you get the good OEM covers, they are stronger and cost the same.

Would it be possible to let me know where you found the OEM covers? MANY THANKS!

Maj. Dundee 05-14-2014 07:46 AM

M/B does not sell the key covers. You can get aftermarket covers on ebay, but do not buy a used key because they are glued together. Select one that sells just the shell.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...overs&_sacat=0