MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   New to me 1998 ML320 (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/404188-new-me-1998-ml320.html)

coolhand297 06-13-2011 05:51 PM

New to me 1998 ML320

So my mother gave me and my wife this as a second car as she no longer uses it. It has 97k on the clock and is in need of some TLC.

1. Machine gun drivers door lock
2. Warped Dash
3. Paint Job
4. New Shocks
5. Light bulb behind the odometer and outside temp
6. Good interior detail
7. CD changer cartridge or IPOD adapter
8. Need a spare key only one key right now
9. Loose driver and passenger inside door panels

I do most of the work on my cars myself so I will be tackling these in the near future.

Any advice would be great and if anyone can tell me were to get a good service manual that would be really helpful.

Thanks and wish me luck,

Gus

vmystikilv 06-13-2011 08:31 PM

:duh:

Originally Posted by coolhand297 (Post 4716052)
So my mother gave me and my wife this as a second car as she no longer uses it. It has 97k on the clock and is in need of some TLC.

1. Machine gun drivers door lock
2. Warped Dash
3. Paint Job
4. New Shocks
5. Light bulb behind the odometer and outside temp
6. Good interior detail
7. CD changer cartridge or IPOD adapter
8. Need a spare key only one key right now
9. Loose driver and passenger inside door panels

I do most of the work on my cars myself so I will be tackling these in the near future.

Any advice would be great and if anyone can tell me were to get a good service manual that would be really helpful.

Thanks and wish me luck,

Gus

1. No cheap way to fix it. Hopefully it doesnt at least autolock as your drive or its a headache. If its doing that you can turn off autolock till you get it fix

2. Ive had 3 ML's and have never seen a warped dash?!?!?!?! Something special about 98 vs 99&01's that I dont know about. Have had other cars though an replacing a dash is :duh:

3. If nothing is rusting you might want to try A high Speed compound buff and wax. There like 100-500 dollars but worth it.

4.Factory, if not go bilsteins

5. Instrument cluster comes out simple. Just order the bulbs.

6. Again, do it yourself. Order a product call, "sorry if i spell it incorrectly" Leatherique

7. Ipod adapter if you have an IPOD.

8. Prepare to get raped at the dealer for not only the key but the programming too

9. Doors come off super easy. A few screws behind the handle and a panel poper. Order a bunch of new fastners and screw tightly in.

coolhand297 06-14-2011 12:58 AM

Luckily no auto locking but I will be taking to a dealer or a decent shop for this one. As far as the key goes doesn't Mercedes have a regular key that doesn't have the built in remote? As for the paint, there is some rusting so it has to get painted, luckily my friend owns a body shop and I will b pretty cheap (relatively).

Mike's ML 06-14-2011 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by coolhand297 (Post 4716493)
As far as the key goes doesn't Mercedes have a regular key that doesn't have the built in remote?

The Valet key, without the remote, still has an RFID chip in the handle to work with the DAS system in the ML.
Mike

coolhand297 06-14-2011 11:14 AM

AHA thank you Mike.

BensML 06-14-2011 11:49 AM

I just paid less than $230 for a new programmed key from the dealer