M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML320 - Delayed start, extended crank issue

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240 ml320 c280
ML320 - Delayed start, extended crank issue

Hello. I have a 2001 ML320. I have previously been told by a very good, but expesive (not quite on the level of the stealer, but close) independant shop about a year ago that the vehicle has a bad AAM (All Activities Module). This was a result of my bringing it in for what I expected would be a simple key fob reprogram since the remotes no longer locked/unlocked the doors. Since at the time, the locking problem was the only issue, I elected not to have the AAM replaced. Since that time, I have experienced problems with the A/C compressor not working intermitantly and an occassional "start error" which would always resolve by simply turning the key a second time. Again, this was VERY intermitant so not a problem.

Well, now I have an issue with a delayed start / extended crank that I wonder if it is rekated to the AAM or something to do with the fuel pump or pressure. The issue is that the car will crank for sometimes a full 5 seconds before engaging the engine in a start. Sometimes the crank times out after 5 seconds and requyires a second attempt which usually engages a start immediately.

The vehicle seems to always start, however the extended crank is concerning and somewhat embarassing! I had the fuel pump and filter replaced a couple of years ago and since the vehicle operates normallly once started, I doubt it is a fuel pump or pressure problem, unless the pressure at start is somehow being reduced. Any ideas? Do I have to bit the bullet and get a new AAM to the tune of $600 installed? How can I be sure this is the problem before I invest? Any help would be appreciated. BTW I also replaced the crank position sensor to no avail. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320
Same exact conditions on our 1999 with 170k on odometer. Key fob itermittant, won't start at first, then starts and runs fine on second try. It is embarassing especially at a valet.