MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   bi-xenon stopped working, DRLs flash on high beams (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/449812-bi-xenon-stopped-working-drls-flash-high-beams.html)

mickeypi 05-31-2012 12:20 AM

bi-xenon stopped working, DRLs flash on high beams

Hi everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my dad, hoping to avert a costly trip to the mechanic for something that might be trivial. Seems I'm using the wrong search terms because I can't find anything about the problem he's having and this seems like it should be a well-known problem.

His W163 ML500 has bi-xenons and the passenger side low+high beam stopped working. When he turns on his high beams the inner-most light (DRL?) blinks instead. Is this a sign of a failed xenon bulb? Failed ballast?

Thanks!
Michal

Maj. Dundee 05-31-2012 11:04 AM

First of all what year ML 500?

Secondly, are the bi-xenons factory installed or were they a modification?

If they are factory, I might be able to help you. If they were a mod, I can't.

mickeypi 05-31-2012 11:14 AM

They were factory installed.

Maj. Dundee 05-31-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mickeypi (Post 5219718)
They were factory installed.

Jesus, I asked two questions and only one got answered.

What year is the 500?

mickeypi 06-01-2012 01:06 AM

It's a 2004, Maj.

mickeypi 06-03-2012 01:24 PM

Bump...

Maj. Dundee 06-04-2012 01:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
There are a couple of things to check:

1. Fuse #20 in the right side kick panel fuse/relay box.

2. See that ground W2 is tight.

3. Also check condition of the control module and the wiring.

4. Try not to put the headlamp back as there might be other tests to perform. If there are, you will need a test light and/or a DVOM.

In the future, when you need help, don't take 14 hrs. to respond to a simple question (e.g what year is you truck?)

Mike's ML 06-04-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 5219723)
Jesus, I asked two questions and only one got answered.?

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 5224836)
In the future, when you need help, don't take 14 hrs. to respond to a simple question (e.g what year is you truck?)

WOW! Tough crowd. Ohh your from NY that answers a lot.
Mike

mickeypi 06-05-2012 12:52 AM

Ok, I finally got my hands on the car. The fuse was fine, the other control box also looked fine. I took a look at the bulb on the passenger side since one lamp was already out, and it looked a little hazy so I swapped the left and right bulbs as a sanity check. Turns out that's the problem. My dad needs to find an honest mechanic because they had told him that they already checked that and the next step was electrical diagnostics. Now I'm just a little surprised that the manual doesn't say anything about the symptoms for a failed bulb.

Anyway, any recommendations for buying replacement bulbs? Roll the dice on eBay?

Maj. Dundee 06-05-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mike's ML (Post 5226314)
WOW! Tough crowd. Ohh your from NY that answers a lot.
Mike

You seem to be sympathetic towards someone who failed a two question questionnaire and then" bumped" the thread looking for a response. These two questions were listed separately and not hidden or disguised in any way. Holding someone's hand is not my cup of tea.

Why you chose to go with this N.Y. thing can only be interpreted as you have a great dislike for New Yorkers in general. Being contentious as you are, would you have made that same remark if I lived in any other state?