MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   What do you think of this service report? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/500155-what-do-you-think-service-report.html)

Wardsweb 05-22-2013 10:48 AM

What do you think of this service report?

I get a service report from the dealer on my '08 ML350 and it lists recommended:
cooling system test - $136
replace radiator - $862
replace power steering reservoir -$326.40
replace steering rack control head - $1438
replace air filer - $136
alignment - $139.95

For a car less than 5 years old that has always been serviced at the dealer, I find this is either excessive or my car is a POS. I didn't think Mercedes built crappy cars. Do their mechanics work on commission?

orrsome90 05-23-2013 06:31 AM

Wow mate.. I feel really sorry for you. That's a huge bill.

Sounds excessive to me. Air filter for $136? Found a kn one for half that price. The labor is 30 seconds on that part also :S

MB tends to just replace parts instead of repair them, even if it is a quick and easy fix.

This is why I'd never go to an MB dealer for general services.

Mike's ML 05-24-2013 10:42 AM

You are on the wrong forum.
This is the W163 forum, ML's from 1998 to 2005.
You want the W164 ML forum
Mike

DrX 05-30-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wardsweb (Post 5655623)
For a car less than 5 years old that has always been serviced at the dealer, I find this is either excessive or my car is a POS.

Your car is not a POS. MB mechanics get paid by the hour, and very well, so they don't mind the extra work even if it's unnecessary. Not sure about MB service advisors - perhaps they get bonuses for convincing you to have extra work done.

Every time I go for service I get given a list of things that don't need replacing. But if you let them, there's no way to know there was nothing wrong with the old one. I recommend getting a blind 2nd opinion. (In other words, ask another mechanic or dealer to check things over, and see what he comes up with. Don't give him the list from the 1st dealer.)

If your tire wear is normal and your car drives straight, I can't see how an alignment helps anything but your dealer's balance sheet.

yourbenztech 06-18-2013 11:21 PM

cooling system test - $136 why? What are the symptoms??
replace radiator - $862 any damage to the radiator??
replace power steering reservoir -$326.40 no, no! why does it needs replacement?? Any way it is a $50 part with very easy install!!
replace steering rack control head - $1438....again why, what are the symptoms??
replace air filer - $136 no no no!!!!! $18 part 3 minutes work!!! DIY!!!!
alignment - $139.95 no no no!!!! $39 on any professional mechanic shop!!!
Give me some more info about the diagnosis, but any way you should not pay that!

ian270d 07-02-2013 11:04 AM

I think I would be inclined to ask for proof of work required'

Is your radiator leaking, look under car is it wet, do you have to keep refilling the rad. My old W202's radiator was 13 years old before I had to replace it, even then it was my fault. Steering fluid anywhere? does the car steer as normal if so what is wrong with the steering head? This is just a load of BS, they feel the recession just the same as everyone else, I will put off the service for a month less income for the dealer. Go to a good independent.