MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   ML430: Lamella Skyview Roof problems (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/514335-ml430-lamella-skyview-roof-problems.html)

E.oakland 09-21-2013 09:15 AM

ML430: Lamella Skyview Roof problems

Yes, another Lamella roof post :tear:

I just want it closed.

The roof is approx. 6inches from closing. I have tried the MB authorized repair shops in Bergen County NJ, and went to the Benzel Busch Dealer in Englewood, NJ which I was charged $400 for them to tell me they cannot close it. I went to them because they initially said they have had success in the past.

Looking for any comments or suggestions that can help here. I just bought the car from a friend so I know the history, and one month later the roof fails.

trying to upload pics now

E.oakland 09-21-2013 10:36 AM

The benz dealer is telling me $7700 to replace. the truck is not worth this. However, I am told that if I want to replace that I need to act quick, because there is only one left in the country.

I went to a glass/window company to see if the roof can be pulled and replaced with some kind of tinted plexi glass. They were concerned that driving with the windows down may decrease the integrity of the glue and seal. not sure of this is true, but this is what I am told.

vmystikilv 09-21-2013 11:46 AM

$7700 to replace!!! GOOD GOD!

E.oakland 09-21-2013 01:07 PM

I am unable to upload pics. Not sure why.

E.oakland 09-23-2013 10:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
pics

DrX 09-25-2013 01:48 AM

Why don't you start by telling us what you've tried? Have you removed the rear roof lining and tried cranking it open or closed manually?

The dealer's techs would have tried that already (I hope), but there must be something broken/jammed to prevent the mechanism from moving.

E.oakland 09-25-2013 08:09 AM

thanks for the replies.

Initialyl took the truck to two authorized MB repair shops. Neither was sure how to close but asked that I leave it and they will try.

It was after both not being able to close that I started to check the internet for a fix. I then find that the roofs have been a problem and are an expensive fix. I bought the vehicle from a coworker in June, so I know a little history about the vehicle and how they maintained it. all is well with it, passed inspection, just one day when my wife opened the roof, it didn't close.

so after reading on the net about manual ways to close..ie removing the rear panel, get the key and try to turn it to see if it will close.

I went to a third MB repair shop, he removed the motors (both motors appear to still work), and he and I tried push it close. No success either and I asked that we stop as to not further damage anything.

So I then called MBUSA and they said to try a dealer. I called Benzel Busch in NJ. I was told by the service person that they have had success in the past. I was told that it may be done in 3hrs and committed a 3hr labor charge ($133/hr). they added that if it will take longer, they will call. I get a call that they cannot close, but was still going to be charge the labor fee of
$426.

I was a little taken back, by still being charge if they couldn't close. If I has any indication that the dealer would not be able to close I would not have taken it there.

I guess the dealer is a little different that the Authorized repair shops. the others didn't charge when unsuccessful, but the MB dealer did. I paid because I didn't want to be hit with a Mechanics Lien later and will entertain filing a small claim to see if I can recoup the cost.

I posted on another site and someone added that the roof is made by a company, for MB called Webasto. I check the Webasto website and found there is a dealer in my area. I went to them on Monday and they shook there heads when they saw the roof. the added that this roof was a nightmare.

They said they will drop the headliner take it apart and try to close. so I now plan to drop it off there.

I am not that mechanically inclined, and I work 16hr days as a Nurse, so IMO the time nor the knowledge are there for me to try to do. the most I have ever done to a car was change a battery, tires, bulbs, wiper blades.

DrX 09-25-2013 03:44 PM

That is a very poor dealership experience. After you get the job done by the Webasto dealer, I suggest you take the time to write to the service manager at Benzel Busch, explaining how long it took them and how much it cost. Ask them why it took their techs 3 hours to figure out they didn't know what they were doing. In that time, they could have dropped the headliner and disassembled it.

If the response is anything less than a substantial refund, send it with a copy of your complaint to his boss, and then to MBUSA. If that doesn't work, I have found publishing a rip-off report is a stimulus for corrective action.

From the photos, it looks like the 2nd slat from the rear is jammed at the wrong angle, preventing the rest of the roof from sliding.

E.oakland 12-18-2013 12:39 AM

Hey ...I am back...hehehehe

Took the Mercedes dealer to small claims court. Received a default judgement (they didn't show up in court) for the return of my funds....$426 + court cost.

Looking to take my ML to the authorized Webasto dealer to see if they can close. It's cold and snowy here in the North East, so I can't drive it at all. They have a huge warehouse where I can leave it.

E.oakland 12-18-2013 01:54 PM

Oh well, the authorized Webasto place told me that they fired the guy that knew Webasto sunroofs.

He is now suggesting that I call MB Corp to see if they can tell me where a certified tech mechanic that can work on this is located.

but I just want the darn thing freaking closed :-(

DrX 12-19-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by E.oakland (Post 5878987)
Took the Mercedes dealer to small claims court. Received a default judgement (they didn't show up in court) for the return of my funds....$426 + court cost.

That is a good outcome, but I wish I could say the same for the state of your roof. 3 months later, it's snowing and you still haven't had it fixed?

If you're not driving it, and you have a garage, why don't you start repairing it yourself? Just follow the illustrated instructions here from a previous victim of this feature: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...repairing.html

Maj. Dundee 12-21-2013 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You obviously do not have an Owner's Manual or you did not read it.

First try to resyc. the system. If that does not work, then try to manually close the roof.

If you successfully close it, you are on your own if you continue to use it.

Mike's ML 12-21-2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 5882523)
You obviously do not have an Owner's Manual or you did not read it.

First try to resyc. the system. If that does not work, then try to manually close the roof.

If you successfully close it, you are on your own if you continue to use it.

Jim, the .pdf you show is for the standard sun roof not the lamella roof. I think the Lamanela roof crank is in the back by the rear hatch.
Mike

Maj. Dundee 12-21-2013 06:43 PM

Mike, it might very well be that it is in the rear. I only used what I had on hand to give him an idea of what should be done.

Thank god I don't have one of these things.

Mike's ML 12-21-2013 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 5882994)
Thank god I don't have one of these things.

^^ +1
Amen on that.
Mike

Mike's ML 12-22-2013 10:01 AM

Skyview Roof Emergency Operation.

2 Attachment(s)
Skyview Roof Emergency Operation.

E.oakland 12-23-2013 07:34 PM

Thanks.

the issue on my truck is not electrical unfortunately...that seems like an easier fix. the roof is jammed.

Mike's ML 12-24-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by E.oakland (Post 5884746)
Thanks.

the issue on my truck is not electrical unfortunately...that seems like an easier fix. the roof is jammed.

Yes, I understand that. That is why I posted the instructions to Mechanically crank the roof back and forth to try to free up the jam.
Mike

E.oakland 12-27-2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike's ML (Post 5885554)
Yes, I understand that. That is why I posted the instructions to Mechanically crank the roof back and forth to try to free up the jam.
Mike

That was one of the first things we tried. to close it manually that is. it doesn't move. seems to be stuck on the passenger side.

I called a Glassback Roof business down in Rockville, MD. they stated they only have roofs for select vehicles....Mustang is one.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...glassback+roof

http://automotiveessentials.com/sunroofs.html

this would be ideal.

E.oakland 04-27-2014 12:49 PM

I am back....

one way or another....this roof issue will be fixed.

The truck has been checked by an authorized MB service shop (computer hooked up to it to check repair codes) and with the exception of the roof and an inexpensive power steering repair needed, the truck is solid. so for now I am not ready to give up on it.

DrX 04-28-2014 10:49 PM

The task appears beyond your capabilities, so find another Webasto dealer that still employs a technician who knows how to fix this. Maybe you'll need to take a road trip.

dennisspeaks 11-19-2014 12:21 AM

skyview roof

How did your skyview roof turn out? I found a ML320 today with 128,000 miles that has one but when I press the switch, nothing.

E.oakland 06-05-2015 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dennisspeaks (Post 6235419)
How did your skyview roof turn out? I found a ML320 today with 128,000 miles that has one but when I press the switch, nothing.

I had a sunroof place close it for me....$550.

Initially, I found a used Lamella Roof $1000. I asked the sunroof guy to install. However, the seller of the roof, would not remove the roof from its original vehicle and was going to cut the top half of the truck and send it to me. So this would involve and uninstall from the old and an Install on my car.

the sunroof guy said this is a lot...and asked that I give him a day to try to close my roof. two days later, it was done.

see pic

DrX 06-06-2015 10:32 AM

Thanks for the update. It's good to know that you finally got it closed enough to keep the snow out, especially after the first 7 months of zero progress.