MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   ML320-how to disconnect fuel filter loop line? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/518740-ml320-how-disconnect-fuel-filter-loop-line.html)

Neanicu888 10-30-2013 09:27 AM

ML320-how to disconnect fuel filter loop line?

Hi!
Having a hard time disconnecting the updated filter loop line from the line going towards the front of the car. Wish I had taken a picture...
This is not the connector with 2 tabs on the side that you push and pull up with the special Mercedes pliers. This is the loop line that goes from the back of the filter,under it and connects into a line that goes to the engine. It looks like it has a little strap on the side of the connector that you can push or pull...? to release the line's ring from the inside. Really don't want to mess the connector...
I guess people that have done it know I'm talking about...hopefully...
Did a search but couldn't find anything related to that connector.
Thank you so much!

Neanicu888 10-30-2013 10:01 AM

I'm talking about the Service only fuel loop line here :

A 163-470-37-64

The connector to the line going towards the front of the car,not the filter.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...fuel-lines.pdf

Mike's ML 11-01-2013 04:20 PM

I don't remember what the loop line looked like when I installed it on my 98ML so sorry I can't help you at this time.
May I ask why you want to remove this line? It's needed for all the updated filters you will be using in the future.

Mike

Neanicu888 11-01-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike's ML (Post 5830059)
I don't remember what the loop line looked like when I installed it on my 98ML so sorry I can't help you at this time.
May I ask why you want to remove this line? It's needed for all the updated filters you will be using in the future.

Mike

First of all,thank you for answering Mike,I appreciate it!
Secondly,I'm working on a friend's car and upon looking his chassis up by the VIN nr,it came that he has the old style of fuel filter that needs an upgrade. So I had him order the new fuel filter and the 3 lines. Now,those lines are not cheap,they are pretty expensive,especially the loop line. Before starting a job I always like to look and check in case I might need something. Guess what...he already has the updated filter but he didn't remember to tell me that the dealer had replaced it at some point. Now that filter is been in there for a long time and it needs replacing anyway. So I'd like to replace the lines as well since I had him buy them. But that loop line seems tricky and I really don't want to mess that connector,especially since it's part of the long line going to the front of the car-engine.
Thanks again.

Nick.

gotca 11-02-2013 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Neanicu888 (Post 5830153)
...that filter is been in there for a long time and it needs replacing anyway. So I'd like to replace the lines as well...

you say you want to replace both the filter and the lines, why don't you take it out as a whole and work on it at the bench?

i don't have the loop line in my 03ml350 but i wish i had it, i think it's there to help you change the filter, to allow you to take the filter out of that tight space and give you enough room to work on it.

Maj. Dundee 11-02-2013 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gotca (Post 5830530)
i think it's there to help you change the filter, to allow you to take the filter out of that tight space and give you enough room to work on it.

No gotca, the loop line was designed to accommodate the extra length of the new sized filter.

If they didn't design the loop line, installing the new filter would have pushed the fuel pump lines all the way to one side, putting stress on every connection.

gotca 11-02-2013 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 5830581)
No gotca, the loop line was designed to accommodate the extra length of the new sized filter.
If they didn't design the loop line, installing the new filter would have pushed the fuel pump lines all the way to one side, putting stress on every connection.

sorry maj, i'm not following you...
on my 03ml350 i have the large filter without the loop line.
that line goes straight to the engine and it doesn't seem to stress the other lines...

Neanicu888 11-02-2013 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did it!
You have to use a pick tool to play with the connector. Keep prying and pushing the little C-clip inside of the connector while pulling the line in the same time. Do it carefully. Some WD-40 is going to help sliding the hose out of there.
Here's a pic of the connector.

Maj. Dundee 11-02-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by gotca (Post 5830736)
sorry maj, i'm not following you...
on my 03ml350 i have the large filter without the loop line.
that line goes straight to the engine and it doesn't seem to stress the other lines...

You made a statement about the loop line and why it was used and I commented on that statement.

The loop line was only necessary for vehicles 98-2000. After that all new lines were installed at the assembly plant.

gotca 11-03-2013 01:59 AM

Thank you for your comment Maj.