MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Big Brake upgrade for 00 ML 320? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/61968-big-brake-upgrade-00-ml-320-a.html)

00ML Keith 02-28-2004 08:20 PM

Big Brake upgrade for 00 ML 320?

Front brakes are due.

Is there an upgrade for bigger front brakes?

Maybe from a 55 or 500. If so any cost extimates?

I have 18" wheels.

Thanks again,

Keith :hammer:

sosh 02-29-2004 03:34 PM

Why would you want to do that??? It won't stop any differently!!

pointman 02-29-2004 04:22 PM

yes there is a set of rotors that you can get... but they arent the brembo gt kit...they are made by brembo, they are factory size rotors but are slotted and dimpled. they are about 500 or 600.

00ML Keith 02-29-2004 04:44 PM

Thanks guys, was hoping for something like boltin gupa a set of ML 55's or 500's.

A set Porsche twin turbo front brakes would be nice.

Longer duty cycle and better thermal reserve.

Are the 430, 500 or 55's front rotors & master cylinder bigger?

Any one know the sizes?

UncAl 02-29-2004 04:57 PM

Re: Big Brake upgrade for 00 ML 320?

Originally posted by 00ML Keith
Front brakes are due.

Is there an upgrade for bigger front brakes?

Maybe from a 55 or 500. If so any cost extimates?

I have 18" wheels.

Thanks again,

Yes, Brembo, Movit, RennTech and others make larger rotors and updated calipers for your ML. They require 18" wheels, so they will work for you.

http://www.movit.de/images/merm402.jpg

Count on $6k and up for all four.

IIRC, there are other differences in brake systems that will prevent you from simply adding ML500 or ML55 brake rotors.

BTW, I haven't heard of anyone getting better function with the updated brakes. Also, your service costs increase because the replacement rotors are twice as expensive as OEM.

Still, they look good!

pointman 02-29-2004 09:52 PM

Thanks guys, was hoping for something like boltin gupa a set of ML 55's or 500's.

Are the 430, 500 or 55's front rotors & master cylinder bigger?

Any one know the sizes?

thats exactly what i was reffering too would do for you.. longer life, better braking, and better cooling.

why would you want 500 brakes if these are gonna be better, similarly priced, and look a thousand times better?

plus, sounds like money's not an issue if your talking about turbo brakes.

00ML Keith 03-01-2004 12:06 PM

Just sold my Porsche Turbo which is where I focused all my creative thought so I guess that is spilling over to the 3year old.

On my 72 911 it was a simmple bolt up toe just add 20% thicker rotors and newer 3.2 Carrera calipers.

As front rotors are nearing spec limits, just thought if I could buy 500's for near the same, Turbo calpers are around $330 each, then it is a matter of getting the spacers right....

Ah, guess it was a crazy ides on a $20k truck w a little V6. Now if I could just get a couple of turbos and...

Sorry if I got carried away.

Thanks all!

Keith
:)

pointman 03-01-2004 12:57 PM

dude, are you listen you buy brakes bigger and better than a 500's brakes for SIMILAR MONEY...and they are DIRECTBOLT ON's, no spacers needed.

UncAl 03-01-2004 01:25 PM

Originally posted by ahopeter
dude, are you listen you buy brakes bigger and better than a 500's brakes for SIMILAR MONEY...and they are DIRECTBOLT ON's, no spacers needed.
We're trying to listen!

Bigger and Better? First, you said ...

yes there is a set of rotors that you can get... but they arent the brembo gt kit...they are made by brembo, they are factory size rotors but are slotted and dimpled. they are about 500 or 600.
I assume you're referring to something like this ...
http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...924&invidtype= ...

http://www.brakeworld.com/pictures/brembods.jpg

which are OEM sized rotors (as you mentioned). The ones I mentioned are larger but quite expensive - around $3k per axle.

Please provide a link for the rotors you're actually referring to that are bigger than OEM, slotted, and are "$500 or $600".

Thanks.

pointman 03-01-2004 02:05 PM

by bigger i meant performance wise, i already wrote that they were same size in my earlier post... i'm trying to convey to this guy that these are what his looking for, better perf., better cooling, longer life, and much better looks.

hey uncal, what do you have a hardon for me or what? you are on my ass every chance you get.

UncAl 03-01-2004 02:46 PM

by bigger i meant performance wise, i already wrote that they were same size in my earlier post... i'm trying to convey to this guy that these are what his looking for, better perf., better cooling, longer life, and much better looks.

Oh. When you said "bigger", I mistakenly thought you meant ... well ... bigger. My bad.

hey uncal, what do you have a hardon for me or what? you are on my ass every chance you get.

No, I'm not gay. Sorry to dissapoint you.

pointman 03-01-2004 02:50 PM

then get off my ass.

00ML Keith 03-01-2004 06:11 PM

Thanks all for the info.

Would love a set of huge 6 piston brakes but spending $6k on a $20k truck isn't happening.

May try the Rotora sloted or the drilled Brembo replacement rotors w stock calipers.

Went to MBUSA.com and it looks like the ML 350 -v- ML 500 has
11.9/11.2 ft/rear -v- 13.6/13.5 rotors. Don't know how they fit such big brakes in the standard 17" wheel of the ML500 though. Could this be a typo on MBUSA? (Porsche twin turbo uses 13" rotors in an 18" wheel.)

Anyone know the ML 500's rotor thickness?

Wonder what size rotor they use on the s55? Could be a bigger donnor.

Again, seems like it should not be to expensive to come up with a reasionable price kit or method to trade up.

The bigger Brembo drilled & sloted ML 500 replacement disks are $270 a pair and should fit the hub & studs.

Just need a big caliper set & addapter. Just don't know if I want to make the effort.

Keith

Kar don 03-01-2004 07:57 PM

ahopeter, plz try and keep it civil. UncAl was just requesting more detailed info as your prior post was somewhat unclear. Thanks! :)

pointman 03-02-2004 12:08 AM

AlBoston, no problem...i just got a little upset cause i have had him "ride" me a bunch of times, not only on this forum but others as well.;)

UncAl 03-02-2004 02:27 PM

Got a small break from work, so

lets clear the air a bit!

AlBoston, no problem...i just got a little upset cause i have had him "ride" me a bunch of times, not only on this forum but others as well.;)
ahopeter, if you don't want critical responses to your posts, try putting a little more thought and effort into them. Take the post quoted above. You say "not only in this forum but others (plural) as well". Actually, its only one other, BW. I do post in other forums, but none that you know of.

Since you dragged the "other" forum into this, I suppose you are referring to this thread, which you ended with

ahopeter - 2/27/2004 4:58 PM
whoops...sorry s4, my bad.[:D]
uncal..eat a turd.[:p]
Whatever. You missed so much in that thread, its difficult to know what you're really talking about.

Or, maybe you're referring to this thread (which BTW was my pleasure to trash) where again you demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension.

Finally, regarding your comments on bigger, cross-drilled brakes being better, please be advised that there are MBWorld members (e.g. "SomePeteGuy") who have made a very good case against your basic assumptions. I happen to agree with Pete, but I was just too lazy to make the case on his behalf. Do your own research.

I'm not "riding" you. I'm pointing out that your posts are poorly researched and poorly written. That's all.

http://www.bluevista.com/clownfarts/...s/6thSense.jpg

:D

UncAl 03-02-2004 02:28 PM

Got a small break from work, so

... double post

pointman 03-02-2004 03:12 PM

first of all, cause i accidentally wrote others, instead of other...youre gonna open your mouth? that is seriously something that you have an issue with? you have got to be kidding. find something else to do, besides correct some tiny grammatical error i may have made.

and what is wrong with saying that cross drilled rotors are better? if in my opinion and many other performance enthusiasts believe it to be true, than why cant i write that? what makes you think that bigger cross drilled rotors arent better... sounds more like you dont know what youre talking about. so, you would rather have a nice 11" rotor of oem compund opposed to having a 14" slotted and dimpled rotor. yeah you really know what you are talking about.

UncAl 03-02-2004 03:58 PM

first of all, cause i accidentally wrote others, instead of other...youre gonna open your mouth? that is seriously something that you have an issue with? you have got to be kidding. find something else to do, besides correct some tiny grammatical error i may have made.
I pointed it out because:
1. It was the most recent example of your poor writing "skills"
2. Its misleading, implying several instead of just one
3. Its not a grammatical error - its either intentionally misleading or poorly written, and exemplifies the point of my post. I really don't give a **** if you know how to spell - I just don't want you to mislead the readers here.

and what is wrong with saying that cross drilled rotors are better?
Actually, I said larger and cross-drilled.
And, whats wrong with it is that you're wrong (going to my "poorly researched" point).

Here are the facts:
1. The stopping distance is limited by the traction provided by the tires. The stock system is more than capable of locking up the the tires.

2. Changing to bigger rotors doesn't shorten the stopping distance for one or two time stops.

3. Bigger rotors are used in performance applications because they are more resistant to fade, they handle heat better.

If you are racing at a track, and do repeated high speed braking, the better heat dissapation of a larger and/or cross-drilled rotor will come into play. How many people do you know that take a 5,000 pound SUV to the track? For normal driving, bigger rotors do NOT IMPROVE BRAKING.

Still skeptical? Do your own research! Oh, I suggested that before, and you ignored the suggestion. OK then, read this article.

if in my opinion ...
Oh, we're talking about opinions and not facts? OK, in my opinion, you're a Dumbass. In fact, you are helping me prove my theory.

and many other performance enthusiasts believe it to be true
OK. Show me one. Link one document which proves that larger rotors, used in daily driving, are "better" in any way.

... what makes you think that bigger cross drilled rotors arent better
because there is evidence that, for normal driving, they are NOT BETTER.

sounds more like you dont know what youre talking about
Wrong again. I do.

. so, you would rather have a nice 11" rotor of oem compund opposed to having a 14" slotted and dimpled rotor
Functionally, there are the same. The only difference, for normal driving, is the 'bling" factor.

yeah you really know what you are talking about.
Yes, I do.

I don't mind exchanges of ideas with anyone. Unfortunately, you don't have any ideas. All you have is a poor vocabulary and a bad attitude. If you want to talk to me about big brakes, lambo doors, or your ridiculous statement that an ML500 is a better truck than a ML55 (from a BW thread), thats fine - bring it. Just keep it civil, and bring proof.

Otherwise, shut the phuk up.

Some Pete Guy 03-02-2004 11:33 PM

ML 55/430/500 rotors are bigger than 911 Turbo rotors.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/ML/brakes/big_rotor.jpg

Some Pete Guy 03-02-2004 11:33 PM

ML 55/430/500 rotors are bigger than 911 Turbo rotors.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/ML/brakes/big_rotor.jpg

Some Pete Guy 03-02-2004 11:42 PM

and what is wrong with saying that cross drilled rotors are better? if in my opinion and many other performance enthusiasts believe it to be true, than why cant i write that? what makes you think that bigger cross drilled rotors arent better... sounds more like you dont know what youre talking about. so, you would rather have a nice 11" rotor of oem compund opposed to having a 14" slotted and dimpled rotor. yeah you really know what you are talking about.
CALL THE BLING POLICE!

Oh wait, Uncal has already made a citizen's arrest.

pointman 03-03-2004 12:35 AM

uncal, you seriously think that larger rotors dont make a difference... okay thats fine coming from some fag who doesnt know the difference between his ass and his elbow.

As far as my post about the ml55... i own both ml55 and a ml500... in my opinion i was saying that i liked the ml500 much more... i said that i thought that my ml500 was better built than my 01 55. i think i am entitled to my own opinion. the 01 still has alot of bugs, rattles, noises, electrical problems, and alot of break downs. my 500 seems to be much tighter and better built. who are you to say that my opinion of MY cars is wrong? dont take your jealousy out on me... cause of my success and your financial inability to get out of that old 98 320.
hahaha loser. find some other spelling error to criticize. ..cause thats all you have in your pathetic existence. haha

00ML Keith 03-03-2004 12:17 PM

Nice pics'

I think the 996 turbo rotor is 13" and the ML is 13.5 inch.

Are they the same thickness? If so one might be able to use the ML 55/500 rotor with the 928 rotors or better yet the 996TT 6 piston rotors.

(bling, bling, longer ware, big resereve for towing and the hills)

However, the master cylinder may not have the needed capacaty and the rear might need to be looked after to keep things in balance.

Putting a set of biger 430 disks & calapers would be the easyest. Anyone know if these will bolt up or does the strut need to be replaced to?

Thanks guys.

Keith

PS, Try not to let negitive eneregy or thoughts in, other wise it grows and wins in the end as it has not logic or bounds. (This will be my only comment.)

:hammer:

pointman 03-03-2004 12:42 PM

00ML Keith, sorry that this confrontation had to happen on your post... but i have been continuously harassed by this individual.