MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Help. All warning lights stay on after key removed & wont start (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/678839-help-all-warning-lights-stay-after-key-removed-wont-start.html)

narbo 08-23-2017 11:18 PM

Help. All warning lights stay on after key removed & wont start

So I washed my 2003 ml350 with a Garden hose. Etc. drove 10 miles parked, restarted. Drove 5 min. Parked. Drove 2 min. Parked. Restarted fine. After 2 min. Noticed the car turned off. When I tried to restart. All the warning lights on the dash came on and car wouldn't even crank. I took the key out and the warning lights stay on. It won't turn off until I disconnect the battery. Then the doors unlock via remote and lock alarm works to. Once I put the key in pos 2. The lights all come on hazards blink and vent starts blowing. I can't connect the Obd scanner ( generic ). It says vehicle not responding. The key won't lock or unlock the car until I disconnect the battery

I have Replaced relay 12 but same issue occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

**** correction to title. Won't crank. *****

Maj. Dundee 08-25-2017 06:36 AM

Did you only wash the exterior with the hood closed?

narbo 08-25-2017 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 7249016)
Did you only wash the exterior with the hood closed?

Yes Hood closed.

it was washed and sat for an hour before I started driving.. the engine bay was dry. i did have some leaves in the hood / wiper area.. but no visable water in the interior

narbo 08-28-2017 12:55 PM

CPS was repalced and now car cranks, BUT still not 100%

Originally Posted by narbo (Post 7246733)
So I washed my 2003 ml350 with a Garden hose. Etc. drove 10 miles parked, restarted. Drove 5 min. Parked. Drove 2 min. Parked. Restarted fine. After 2 min. Noticed the car turned off. When I tried to restart. All the warning lights on the dash came on and car wouldn't even crank. I took the key out and the warning lights stay on. It won't turn off until I disconnect the battery. Then the doors unlock via remote and lock alarm works to. Once I put the key in pos 2. The lights all come on hazards blink and vent starts blowing. I can't connect the Obd scanner ( generic ). It says vehicle not responding. The key won't lock or unlock the car until I disconnect the battery

I have Replaced relay 12 but same issue occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

**** correction to title. Won't crank. *****

It cranked and started.. the strange thing is when I turn the key to position 2 the speedometer needle vibrates until the car turns on . also all the other gauges stay off for a good 30 sec after start and then become active.

any thoughts?

Maj. Dundee 08-29-2017 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remove the Instrument Cluster and its connector. Then try to replicate the problem and see if the problem still exists.

narbo 09-05-2017 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 7251843)
Remove the Instrument Cluster and its connector. Then try to replicate the problem and see if the problem still exists.

So it turns out, it was the Crank position sensor.

i replaced it and it started right up... the only weird thing is that it takes a good 30 secs, for the gauges to activate ( Fuel and RPM ) and the speedometer shakes at startup.. and a weird ticking noise.

-Nick

Maj. Dundee 09-06-2017 06:36 AM

With the hood closed water cannot effect the Crank Sensor.

narbo 10-11-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 7251843)

SO its been running fine for the last few days.. and today it turned off again while driving.. and i couldn't get it started. I did not wash it this time... so its definitely not the CPS. which i replaced.

I am going to try to remove the cluster and see if that does anything

Maj. Dundee 10-12-2017 06:34 AM

Removing the I.C. will do noting at this point. The problem does not occur often enough.

It's time to have the codes read with a professional grade scanner, not a code reader.