M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

W163 – both power seats stopped working at same time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
W163 – both power seats stopped working at same time

Hi Forum, would need some help on this one. I was out driving the other day and my passenger told me the seat couldn’t be adjusted using the side control. I decided to try my side (driver) and it didn’t work either. So assume they stopped working at the same time. When you try the switches (on either side) there is a clicking sound coming from under/behind each seat. So seem to be some power coming to it. Also, if you engage the heat that's built into the seats there is the same clicking noise.

What could cause both seats to lose power at the same time?

I know there are two fuses under the passenger footwell, and they seem to be fine. There is also a relay next to it, and I pulled it out (its sealed) but looks ok? Aslo, worth mentioning as it might be related in some way is that I noticed the passenger floor to be a little damp. I had this issue on the driver side, and it was the drainage hose that had shrunken a bit causing water to leak straight into the car. I fixed that side by attaching a smaller diameter PVC pipe and it has been working flawlessly since. I guess it’s the same issue on the passenger side now and I plan to fix that today. Could some water have gotten into contact with the fuse panel under the passenger side causing this? I doubt it as there seems to be some space between it and where that hose attaches to the side of the car. I have to take out the blower to fix that which I will do this afternoon.

Could use some help in troubleshooting and hopefully fix the power seats. For reference, this is for a 2000 ML 55.

Appreciate any help as always. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by moemoe; 10-24-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
In the right side kick panel fuse box, check relay K1 and fuses 10 & 11.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:10 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
I confirmed the drain hose had indeed come off from the socket, so some water had some down and damaged the power seat relay, all corroded inside. I can't reach up there to fix the drain hose (I fixed the driver side a few months ago with a PVC extension ans I want to do the same so passenger side.

I removed blower motor, but still can't get access. Is there anyone here that has the pdf instructions from the MB program on how to remove that whole panel with the blower motor so I can get in there and get access to fix the drain hose connection?

Would be very grateful if someone could find those instructions.

Many thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
What I don't understand is that you initially said that you checked the fuses and relay. So obviously, you didn't check them because if you did you would have noticed the corrosion.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
What I don't understand is that you initially said that you checked the fuses and relay. So obviously, you didn't check them because if you did you would have noticed the corrosion.
I forgot to mention that when I initially checked the fuse panel on the passenger side, i pulled the two fuses and the one relay that controls the seats, and they looked good to me. That when i initially posted this thread. I then opened up the plastic covering on the relay and then noticed there was water in there. I now need to make the same extension repair on the passenger side drain hose as i did for the driver side with excellent results. Problem is its impossible to reach in there and fix it.

I need to remove the blower (think its the blower) assembly, probably have to take the lower dash off to too in order to get the blower out of there. Would you know what i would need to take off in order to gain complete access to the passenger side sunroof drain hose?

many thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
I'm not too sure of what you are saying, but here are the directions to remove the Blower Motor.

I can't see what the blower motor has anything to do about water in the fuse box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R&I Blower Motor.pdf (26.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:39 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
I'm not too sure of what you are saying, but here are the directions to remove the Blower Motor.

I can't see what the blower motor has anything to do about water in the fuse box.
Hi, there is a drain hose from the sunroof that does down the a-pillar and then out by the front wheel. This has come undone, so now all the water that drains goes straight into the car. Some of that water dripped down on the fuse box there, and damaged some of the components. I have replaced the fuses and relays.

I need to get in there and re-attach the hose so that the water drains out as it should, and not pouring straight into my car. I have removed the cover and the blower motor already, but that still doesnt give me access. Would you know how to remove the blower motor casing, would it mean removing the whole lower dash? if so would you have the PDF for that one? I think if i can get the casing that the blower motor sits in off, i can get access. That is what is blocking my path, but unsure if i cant get that off, or if there is a way to remove the glovebox, and undo the blower motor casing from up there?

From the PDF you sent, the unit that has to be removed to gain access to the drain hose is "A/C housing" do you have instructions on how to remove this unit? I was really hoping for another way to get in there and reach the drain hose and the rubber L-joint

many thanks

Last edited by moemoe; 10-26-2017 at 04:37 PM.