M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Catalytic converter advice please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
Catalytic converter advice please.

Hi Guys. First I'd like to thank all of you, even though this is my first thread here this forum has been a great source of knowledge and has helped me diagnose several problems with my 2002 ML320. I'll be ordering replacement cats for my 02 ML320 next week and I was wondering about experiences with aftermarket units. I've already decided to go with a bolt up/no weld set and I was looking for opinions of both Bosal and Evans Fisher. I'm leaning toward Bosal because it seems to be a better product, but I'll certainly take a look at a different brand if anyone knows a better one. Also to ask a question I'm fairly certain I know the answer to - should I replace the O2 sensors at the same time. I'm assuming I should and if anyone has a brand recommendation on O2 sensors I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks Again!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Not sure what brand I have, but, I just replaced a Cat and did not do the 02 sensor changes. Runs like a champ . At this age and mileage, change what is needed when needed.
The following users liked this post:
Blake Piercy (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 PM

2002 ML320
Thanks Mystikilv, I was going to replace the sensors but since I haven't been getting any codes on them I may just let them slide for now. Somebody came to your house and stole your S55 - that's cold man, sorry to hear it.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 PM

2002 ML320
I really hate threads where they never let you know how things went once they get the info they need so here's an update: I went with the Evans Fischer 3 piece for a couple of reasons. They have a better warranty and I didn't want to drop the tranny cross member or torsion bar. When they say bolt up they pretty much mean it, I do have a couple of tips though. Aligning the three pieces is kind of a pain so leave all the bolts loose until you get it aligned. An extra pair of hands is a real benefit. One tip I haven't seen elsewhere, take the fender well out to access the bolts that attach the manifold to the exhaust pipe. It's much easier than trying to get at them from below. The paint burning off created a lot of smoke and a smell that reminded me of a new 1970 Japanese motorcycle being run for the first time, I'm neutral on that but my wife was quite alarmed to see smoke coming out around the hood after I took it for a test drive. Thanks again to Mystikilv, I decided to wait and see on the O2 sensors and the old ones seem to be working fine. You definitely saved me a few bucks, what with the holidays and January being property tax month my budget is stretched a bit thin. I'll post how the passenger side went in a month or 2 when I do that side or if I have problems with the side I've already installed.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 AM

02 W210 e320 4matic
How’s that cat holding up thinking about using Fisher cats