M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Scored an 01 ML430 for $1k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML 430
Scored an 01 ML430 for $1k

This is going to be a "build thread" of sorts. Seems like a good time to start one since I just got it and there is tons of work to do.

First post and my second ML.
My first was a 2000 ML320 we payed bout $18k for in 2008 and it was in excellent condition, I forget the mileage but I never forgot that great leather smell, the clear sound of the Bose system and something I thought was super classy, the gradual on/off of the dome lights. It was a nice car but 11 years ago I wasn't confident working on it. It had really slow throttle response and I got my a$$ handed to me by my friend in his Scion TC so it wasn't really meeting my need for speed. Also 08 had a big jump in fuel prices so we traded it after a year for an 08 Rabbit.

20 something cars and 10yrs later... I found the need for a cheap SUV with 3rd row. My wife didn't want to go full size like a Tahoe and I refused to own another crossover 4cyl or even a 6cyl. This left us with the MLs, X5, Durangos... and found this one. Guy had it for $2500 and intended to get it to be a $2500 car but then I guess he changed his mind and decided to dump the project and sell it at a reasonable price. Pictures showed a bit of front end damage and he told me it will need engine mounts, window switches and an ABS sensor. So we drove 2hrs to Tracy CA to take a look at it.

My wife's reaction was priceless lol. That one? Which was completely justified. It was parked next to a newer nicer one, had trash bags over the front windows, mold in the carpet, was dirty as hell and well... she's not used to this type of purchase.

It looked like just about every light was on the dash, cracked windshield, only shifted in N and D without stomping the brakes and thrusting it into park... but I test drove it just for ****s and gigs. It felt good to be back in an ML. It was solid feeling, absorbed all the nasty road bumps, drove straight, braked smooth and engine was strong and trans shifted smoothly. I looked at all the work and decided I needed another project and whenever we get a nicer car down the road, this will make a pretty fun/unusual off road toy. So we got it. Drove it home in 45 deg cold with front windows stuck down and heat blasting. She made it with no problems and had no problem at 80mph. Once we got it home it was time to clean it up and see what we really bought.

Removed engine cover and sprayed entire engine compartment with Purple Power degreaser along with anything underneath that could be reached. Let that sit for 5 min and pressure washed it all. Then pulled it in the car port and got to the interior. Again spraying the entire interior with Purple Power and Lysol then finishing up with Mothers Leather cleaner. Dash and seats all came out really nice. Vacuumed carpets and then brought out the shampooer. While the wife worked on the carpets I moved on to getting the windows up and the dents out of the front to the light would fit correctly.

Today was engine mount day. Not too hard since I already have all the tools from working on Audis and BMWs. Tomorrow is figuring out the driver's seat forward/aft movement because it's stuck.

I guess standby for images... having issues

Serpentine belt took out the ABS, WSS and horn harness at some point in this cars life

Last edited by 1k$ML430; 01-15-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 PM

2001 ML 430
RESERVED
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 AM

2001 ML 430
RESERVED2
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 AM

2001 ML 430
Jan 20 Update

Oil change with 0-40 Mobile 1 and Wix filter, 5qt jugs were on sale in Oreilly's for $24!

New headlights and they were the simplest headlights I've ever changed. Huge cosmetic improvement.

Repaired the broken wires on passengers side after more Purple Power and pressure washing with wheel wells out of the way. Still have all the light on the dash... will get to that. Maybe the ABS pump.

Installed new fan clutch. No more airplane.

A used ebay shifter fixed the biggest issue which was not being able to get back into Park on level ground. $80 and with center console removed I got some more cleaning done.

Got some goodies from pick-n-pull: gas cap, passenger tail light, passenger cup holder, visor, seat motor for driver's forward/aft movement, wiper fluid reservoir, cd changer cover and walked out for $42.

Still on the list:

Sway bar bushings: have them ready to install
ABS bla bla bla lights: further troubleshooting required. Probably end up rebuilding the ABS motor
Transmission filter/flush
t-case and diff fluid
new key
windshield
Troubleshoot havac: blows hot on hot but still warm when switched to cold
Fails to engage low range

Still not terrible for $1000. When we get a new car for my wife this is going to be my trail rig. have to see if it will take 35s!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
Originally Posted by 1k$ML430
Jan 20 Update

Oil change with 0-40 Mobile 1 and Wix filter, 5qt jugs were on sale in Oreilly's for $24!

New headlights and they were the simplest headlights I've ever changed. Huge cosmetic improvement.

Repaired the broken wires on passengers side after more Purple Power and pressure washing with wheel wells out of the way. Still have all the light on the dash... will get to that. Maybe the ABS pump.

Installed new fan clutch. No more airplane.

A used ebay shifter fixed the biggest issue which was not being able to get back into Park on level ground. $80 and with center console removed I got some more cleaning done.

Got some goodies from pick-n-pull: gas cap, passenger tail light, passenger cup holder, visor, seat motor for driver's forward/aft movement, wiper fluid reservoir, cd changer cover and walked out for $42.

Still on the list:

Sway bar bushings: have them ready to install
ABS bla bla bla lights: further troubleshooting required. Probably end up rebuilding the ABS motor
Transmission filter/flush
t-case and diff fluid
new key
windshield
Troubleshoot havac: blows hot on hot but still warm when switched to cold
Fails to engage low range

Still not terrible for $1000. When we get a new car for my wife this is going to be my trail rig. have to see if it will take 35s!
scan the truck re the abs trio. If it comes back c1000 it's the brushes inside. No need to rebuild the motor. $10 fix.

Low range is from it never being used before and the low range motor motor getting stuck from non-use. Search the forums, there's several diy's.

Blows HOT on cold, or just not cold?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 PM

2001 ML 430
Originally Posted by we47b1me
scan the truck re the abs trio. If it comes back c1000 it's the brushes inside. No need to rebuild the motor. $10 fix.

Low range is from it never being used before and the low range motor motor getting stuck from non-use. Search the forums, there's several diy's.

Blows HOT on cold, or just not cold?
I dont have a scanner of that caliber yet... but every terminal of the k25 has power with relay removed if that means anything. Low range was fixed with a coule swings from my hammer. But when I articulated the suspension and got one rear tire off the ground it only spun that rear one, no pull from front. Heater is blowing hot and when switched over to cold it gets cooler but still prettt warm even with AC turned on.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 PM

'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
I dont have a scanner of that caliber yet... but every terminal of the k25 has power with relay removed if that means anything. Low range was fixed with a coule swings from my hammer. But when I articulated the suspension and got one rear tire off the ground it only spun that rear one, no pull from front. Heater is blowing hot and when switched over to cold it gets cooler but still prettt warm even with AC turned on.
You need to invest in code reader if you're going to go down this path with the truck given all the issues -- can't rely on the forums without scanning and either investigating the codes, or posting here. The old "what about this" won't fly. Not being harsh, just stating facts. I gave you what to look for re: the ABS pump, but if you can't scan the truck, you're SOL until you do so.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:21 PM

2001 ML 430
Originally Posted by we47b1me
You need to invest in code reader if you're going to go down this path with the truck given all the issues -- can't rely on the forums without scanning and either investigating the codes, or posting here. The old "what about this" won't fly. Not being harsh, just stating facts. I gave you what to look for re: the ABS pump, but if you can't scan the truck, you're SOL until you do so.
Haha, ok got it. You MB guys roll a bit different but thats fine. What scanner would you suggest that doesnt break the bank? I had the Bosh 1200 and returned it as it wouldnt get in the weeds and it was $250.
My internet skin is pretty thick. Wont offend me lol. Been doing this for a long time. And i apreciate the honesty
Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 AM

Haha, ok got it. You MB guys roll a bit different but thats fine. What scanner would you suggest that doesnt break the bank? I had the Bosh 1200 and returned it as it wouldnt get in the weeds and it was $250.
My internet skin is pretty thick. Wont offend me lol. Been doing this for a long time. And i apreciate the honesty
Roll a bit different?

The Autel MD802 will do what you need to for the truck.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 682 Likes on 655 Posts
2013 C204 C250 Coupe
What's being suggested is that the scanner will save you time and frustration in the long run, and be a source of info for members to help you in this forum. Good on you for taking this project and good luck with it! I'm looking forward to your updates and seeing pics as you go along.