MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Install cost for the rear hatch glass? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/745276-install-cost-rear-hatch-glass.html)

spawn_x 05-21-2019 06:05 PM

Install cost for the rear hatch glass?

Hi, I carried something in the trunk of my ML and ended up shattering the rear glass. I ordered a new original replacement but need to install it now. Dealer quoted me 550 dollars for the install, not sure why so high. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Maj. Dundee 05-22-2019 11:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
You don't say where you ordered the rear glass from but you better hope that it is the correct one.

You will not be able to do this on your own because it requires the glass be cut out of the door. Contact a mobile glassier like Safelite and get a quote from them.

spawn_x 05-22-2019 02:47 PM

Bought off ebay by part number, it is brand new, 190 shipped. Havent opened it yet though.

Does safelite do good work, would you trust them..?

Thank you for posting the PDF. Kind of tempted to do it myself, but I want it to be 100% right, but dealer price is pretty steep.

Maj. Dundee 05-23-2019 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by spawn_x (Post 7761691)
Bought off ebay by part number, it is brand new, 190 shipped. Havent opened it yet though.

Does safelite do good work, would you trust them..?

Thank you for posting the PDF. Kind of tempted to do it myself, but I want it to be 100% right, but dealer price is pretty steep.

How can you buy this glass from ebay? How do you know you have the correct glass? Please post your full vin#.

Post the ebay link.

Safelite is the best.

spawn_x 05-23-2019 09:43 AM

Vin is 4JGAB74E7YA174596

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mercede...app-cvip-panel

Called safelite but they dont install customer brought glass. Found another place thats supposed to be good, they said 250, I suppose thats better than the dealer

Maj. Dundee 05-23-2019 01:02 PM

The vin # you supplied is for a 2000 Ml55. What's going on here?

spawn_x 05-23-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 7762550)
The vin # you supplied is for a 2000 Ml55. What's going on here?

thats correct, what am I missing here? sorry

Maj. Dundee 05-24-2019 05:17 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d26759c162.jpg

Originally Posted by spawn_x (Post 7762631)

In your original post you said nothing about an ML55 and it was assumed that you were referring to your ML500. So, UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP to include the year and model of your ML55 and where you live.

spawn_x 05-24-2019 05:30 AM

my apologies, I am replying from my phone and that part was not even visible. I sold the 500 last summer and bought the 55 two months ago. :)

Maj. Dundee 05-24-2019 06:05 AM

well delete the 500 and update to adding the ML55.

spawn_x 05-24-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee (Post 7763176)
well delete the 500 and update to adding the ML55.

Done! Kind of tricky on the phone, it doesnt display a lot of thr settings. Thanks for your help!

Maj. Dundee 05-24-2019 01:03 PM

Great.

SpenserM 05-27-2019 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by spawn_x (Post 7762631)

Lol I've noticed the major can be terse at times. I dunno if he's insinuating you stole the truck or it doesnt match the truck in your profile, I wouldnt know.

If you're comfortable taking apart the lift gate, and you have the tools, then watch some videos and try it yourself. It looks like MB is recommending you use blades on an oscillating tool to remove the left over adhesive.

I did a couple windowshields with my friends in high school like 15 years ago, we didnt have the benefit of any videos, MB service manual instructions, or even power tools...just universal instructions, lol...and we had pretty good success. I wouldnt call it easy though, it is a detail job...you have to get everything super clean, use the right amount of adhesive and then figure out how to get it centered and taped on there for it to cure. It took a good evening for the 3 of us to do it.

However for $250 that might be more worth your time.

Another thing is there's usually a little piece of rubber molding that goes around the glass, (not sure if there is one on your rear glass) and when you go to a windshield place for install they often don't have the exact original molding and they tend to use a universal molding. This can change the look of the installed window and/or in the case of the front not have the side rain gutter/shield element.

So you may need to order the original molding for your truck to have it be exactly like stock.

Maj. Dundee 05-27-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by SpenserM (Post 7765124)
Lol I've noticed the major can be terse at times. I dunno if he's insinuating you stole the truck or it doesnt match the truck in your profile, I wouldnt know.

Spencer, it should be obvious that if one seeks help on a forum, it is very important to know what vehicle members are dealing with. And theft was never on my mind.