M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Warning lights for doors, are there any????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
Warning lights for doors, are there any????

I asked this once before, but I just cannot believe there are none. So, if I open a door, or a door is open, the only way I can tell is if the dome light comes on?? The dome light only works if you have it on. However, if your steering wheel adjustment arm is not locked, a RED LIGHT blinks on the dash board!!!

That's just unreal. Total messed up.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Unfortunately there isn't one.

That's what I thought too. They have lights for the steering wheel, but they don't have one for the doors? That's one of the most important lights.

I'm guessing the engineers think that we can close the door all the way, but we will forget to put the lever thingy back?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:47 PM

'11 C300
That is definitely one thing I miss about my Ford Escape. Message on the dash tells you if a door is left open or ajar and which one and also if the liftgate is open or ajar. You would think that Benz could afford that if Ford could put it on an Escape. Well, another thing: SIMPLE cupholders that didn't require an engineer to design and several hinges and springs to make it work AND break. Still love Benz though.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If you can't remember to shut the door perhaps you should make yourself a check list. The dome light is a givaway that the doors not closed also. If you have the dome turned off, then you are out of luck. The W164 does have a door open warning though and I for one think its totally unnecessary.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:17 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
When is a door not a door?

Originally Posted by sosh
If you can't remember to shut the door perhaps you should make yourself a check list. The dome light is a givaway that the doors not closed also. If you have the dome turned off, then you are out of luck. The W164 does have a door open warning though and I for one think its totally unnecessary.
The problem is when a rear door is ajar therefore the dome light does not come on, only the small light above the door. Since I don't have eyes in the back of my head, I might not immediately realize this. This happens frequently when hauling kids in the back. Would it kill them to put a display in the dash?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Calcio
The problem is when a rear door is ajar therefore the dome light does not come on, only the small light above the door. Since I don't have eyes in the back of my head, I might not immediately realize this. This happens frequently when hauling kids in the back. Would it kill them to put a display in the dash?
First off they no longer manufacture this vehicle. Its old news and not current. Your's is a 98 which has less features that any of the later ones, though none have a door light. If you look in your rear view you can see if a light is on and at night its real evident. Again, closing a door is a basic operation that we all were made aware of when we were 7 years old. One glance will tell you if something is amiss. Why must the car maker put a device in to remind you to do something that should be automatic on your part. If you don't like it buy a W164. Why must you allways be protected from yourself??
Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
First off they no longer manufacture this vehicle. Its old news and not current. Your's is a 98 which has less features that any of the later ones, though none have a door light. If you look in your rear view you can see if a light is on and at night its real evident. Again, closing a door is a basic operation that we all were made aware of when we were 7 years old. One glance will tell you if something is amiss. Why must the car maker put a device in to remind you to do something that should be automatic on your part. If you don't like it buy a W164. Why must you allways be protected from yourself??
Hey I noticed a couple of empty spots on near the middle of where all the warning lights are. Are these spots for like some optional thing that you can get, or are they just there for no reason?

And I agree closing a door is basic instinct, but what if the door is not closed all way? Like you didn't close it hard enough.

Last edited by AsianML; 01-25-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 AM

'11 C300
"And I agree closing a door is basic instinct, but what if the door is not closed all way? Like you didn't close it hard enough."

After dropping off a couple golf buddies it never fails that one of them will probably not get the rear door(s) closed completely. So after going down the road a hundred yards or so you hear it, pull over somewhere and close it. Maybe someone failed the "close the door test at 7 years old; e.g., some of my passengers who aren't that familiar with my car!" That light we'd (yes, me too) liked to have had would let the driver know before they pull out without having to go through a checklist - simple light or message. So what they don't make the W163 anymore? He was just asking a question if one existed in his/her current car. SO, instead of getting the light by golly I'm going out right now and plunk down $50k and get a new W164 ML500 just so I'll know for sure that all the doors are closed! Nah, I'll keep my '03 ML. However you could pay $22k and have that feature on a >'04 Ford Escape Limited. Maybe I should hold onto mine. The wife loves it. She keeps her '97 C280 clean and sparkly in the garage when its raining, cloudy, etc. and drives the '05 Escape! Thinking... Don't know about yetis, Calcio, or AsianML but I think that would have "liked" (past tense) to have had a light. Obviously you don't and that is great. We all don't think the same and have differing opinions - what a country!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM

2005 ML500 SE
What I find more disturbing is that there are no child locks on any US spec Mercedes-Benz. All German spec. M-B's have them. If you look at the rear doors on the ML, you will see a cut-out for child proof locks, but they are not fitted. Nice cost saving measure on the part of MBUSA.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OttoBon100
"And I agree closing a door is basic instinct, but what if the door is not closed all way? Like you didn't close it hard enough."

After dropping off a couple golf buddies it never fails that one of them will probably not get the rear door(s) closed completely. So after going down the road a hundred yards or so you hear it, pull over somewhere and close it. Maybe someone failed the "close the door test at 7 years old; e.g., some of my passengers who aren't that familiar with my car!" That light we'd (yes, me too) liked to have had would let the driver know before they pull out without having to go through a checklist - simple light or message. So what they don't make the W163 anymore? He was just asking a question if one existed in his/her current car. SO, instead of getting the light by golly I'm going out right now and plunk down $50k and get a new W164 ML500 just so I'll know for sure that all the doors are closed! Nah, I'll keep my '03 ML. However you could pay $22k and have that feature on a >'04 Ford Escape Limited. Maybe I should hold onto mine. The wife loves it. She keeps her '97 C280 clean and sparkly in the garage when its raining, cloudy, etc. and drives the '05 Escape! Thinking... Don't know about yetis, Calcio, or AsianML but I think that would have "liked" (past tense) to have had a light. Obviously you don't and that is great. We all don't think the same and have differing opinions - what a country!
I can understand your position however I am not a fan of manufacturers and the govt forcing me to protect myself. I never had or even gave a thought tothe door adjar light when I had either of my 2 W163's and don't care that its on my W164. As for asianml, perhaps you do not realize that he is only 12 years old and I certainly hope that you do not go thru life relying on the advice and information you get from a child.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 AM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
I can understand your position however I am not a fan of manufacturers and the govt forcing me to protect myself.
For the most part, I agree with you on this point but I view the door ajar warning as a convenience feature not a liability disclaimer. Things like the seat belt warning chime or having to hit accept on my Audi in order to operate the MMI....yeah it drives me nuts. Or how about the airlines that still go over how to operate the seat belt? If you don't know how to use one by now, you probably shouldn't be flying alone!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:31 AM

'11 C300
I can understand your position however I am not a fan of manufacturers and the govt forcing me to protect myself. I never had or even gave a thought tothe door adjar light when I had either of my 2 W163's and don't care that its on my W164. As for asianml, perhaps you do not realize that he is only 12 years old and I certainly hope that you do not go thru life relying on the advice and information you get from a child.
I agree wholeheartedly with your point as to "big brother". I'd still like the light. Like Calcio said - as a convenience. As to relying on the advice of a child; I have learned a great deal from children over the years - I still do. I wish my life could still be that simple. Sometimes I'm amazed at what my 12 year old nephew can do on my computer!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by OttoBon100
I agree wholeheartedly with your point as to "big brother". I'd still like the light. Like Calcio said - as a convenience. As to relying on the advice of a child; I have learned a great deal from children over the years - I still do. I wish my life could still be that simple. Sometimes I'm amazed at what my 12 year old nephew can do on my computer!
I agree the door ajar light on the dash is useful. I have young children that ride in the back and somtimes they don't close the door all the way. The light on the dash will get your attention quickly. I have a 2005 Lincoln navigator and it gives a pleasant chime and a message on the information center if the door or anything else is not in it's proper position when the vehicle is in drive.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
@OttoBon100- sosh still won't except the fact that I'm 14, but that's fine with me. Just wanted to let you know.

@sosh- I do agree with you in one way about the warning lights and chime. They get annoying after a while. Hearing it just drives me crazy sometimes.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:10 PM

Nope...they had to watch the pennies on the $50K+ vehicles...