MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Rear defrost not working? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/93601-rear-defrost-not-working.html)

hecdog 01-03-2005 01:17 PM

Rear defrost not working?

How fast is the rear defrost supposed to work? When I turn it on I don't see it working like on my other cars, where you start to see clear "lines" surrounding the horizontal defrost elements almost immediately. On my ML, the window stays pretty foggy--it never really clears up. Is this normal?

saturnstyl 01-03-2005 07:02 PM

Normal. Mercedes defrosters suck.

pcy 01-05-2005 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Normal. Mercedes defrosters suck.

Saturnstyl, my '98 Ml320 defrosts (rear window) relatively quickly.
I haven't had fog problem.

hecdog, May be the rear window is just dirty?? Are you saying
the defrost doesn't work at all OR it works but very slowly?

pcy

hecdog 01-05-2005 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by pcy
Saturnstyl, my '98 Ml320 defrosts (rear window) relatively quickly.
I haven't had fog problem.

hecdog, May be the rear window is just dirty?? Are you saying
the defrost doesn't work at all OR it works but very slowly?

pcy

It doesn't work, in my opinion. It's not dirty. I just don't see the "defrost lines" that you normally see when defrosting a rear window. (you know, those clear horizontal lines that start happening about a minute after you turn it on?) Then the defroster turns itself off and my window is still hazy.

mihir_d 01-05-2005 02:21 PM

What would be the fix for this?

Now that we know that the rear defroster sucks, what would be the fix for it?

Don't tell me, the rear windshield needs to be replaced......

sosh 01-05-2005 03:14 PM

My 02 ML500 rear defrost works as well or better than any vehicle I have had. No complaint here.

autogunner 01-06-2005 05:47 AM

Turn your rear defrost on, with the button on the Temp. control knob, then after about a minute go on the outside of the car and put your hand on the outside of the liftgate glass, it should be warm to hot in the corners of the glass. Thats how you can tell if it is working. Autogunner.

hecdog 01-06-2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by autogunner
Turn your rear defrost on, with the button on the Temp. control knob, then after about a minute go on the outside of the car and put your hand on the outside of the liftgate glass, it should be warm to hot in the corners of the glass. Thats how you can tell if it is working. Autogunner.

okay, I'll check it tonight. Thanks.

Shaker999 11-29-2007 12:23 AM

Same problem

My 2002 C320 rear defrsot is not working ...
I guessed a fuse , i checked all fuses are working fine, so sad i have to fo to the dealer.

luda 11-29-2007 03:36 AM

Hi.

It seems that most electrical parts on the ML are having problems,
Rear window defrost, side window regulators, indicator switch, seat heaters, central door locking, starter key function, trip computer back light, etc, etc,
VEERY annoying.
Never had problems with other MB's. What’s the deal?
Different suppliers than the German build MB's?

Per.

Marshall_K 11-29-2007 11:05 AM

As well as the ML sold it had many glitches. Search the forum for help on specific issues

PDXMatt 03-11-2015 12:55 PM

2007 E320 Rear Defrost Does Not Work Well

I have the same complaint about my 2007 E320's rear defroster. It clears a line across a foggy rear window fairly quickly, but that's about all it does. It takes a long time to actually clear the window, which is probably more about the car interior warming up. It's kind of sad that the rear defroster on a 2007 E320 does not work as well as the one on the 2000 Ford Focus we just replaced with the Benz. (But I do love the car - I hope she doesn't see this.)

If the defroster works at all, I'm assuming there's no fuse problem or other simple fix. Is there anything else that can be checked or done? :nix:

Maj. Dundee 03-11-2015 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by PDXMatt (Post 6360635)
I have the same complaint about my 2007 E320's rear defroster. It clears a line across a foggy rear window fairly quickly, but that's about all it does. It takes a long time to actually clear the window, which is probably more about the car interior warming up. It's kind of sad that the rear defroster on a 2007 E320 does not work as well as the one on the 2000 Ford Focus we just replaced with the Benz. (But I do love the car - I hope she doesn't see this.)

If the defroster works at all, I'm assuming there's no fuse problem or other simple fix. Is there anything else that can be checked or done? :nix:

You are on the wrong forum.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/

Mike's ML 03-12-2015 05:58 PM

OOPS! this is a 2007 posting thread.

Both my 98ML and 05ML rear defrosters work very well and that is here in the North East with severe winters.

Mike