MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W163) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163-10/)
-   -   Mercedes SUV's Seat Warmers Investigated (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/97668-mercedes-suvs-seat-warmers-investigated.html)

00ML430 Bulldog 02-08-2005 10:20 AM

Mercedes SUV's Seat Warmers Investigated

Mercedes SUV's Seat Warmers Investigated

Associated Press

DETROIT - Federal safety officials are investigating a Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle after getting three complaints that the driver's side seat warmers can overheat, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday.

The investigation involves ML320 SUVs from the 2003 model year, NHTSA said. In one case, a driver allegedly sustained second-degree burns. NHTSA said the seat covers also may burn.

A Mercedes spokesman did not immediately return a call for comment Monday.

NHTSA also is investigating several models of minivans from Mercedes' parent company, DaimlerChrysler AG. Consumers reported that the headlights may flicker and go off while the minivans are moving, NHTSA said.

The investigation involves Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager and Chrysler Town and Country minivans from the 2001 and 2002 model years.

Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said there are around 744,000 minivans from those model years on the road. He said the company is working with the NHTSA.

NHTSA investigations can lead to vehicle recalls.

Did you guys read this??? I know a few members here got burns from their heated seats... I know in my 430 I have to turn the heater switch off within a few minutes of activation because it heats up the seats a little too much to feel uncomfortable... Hope they do a recall to fix this.... :mad:

LVDell 02-08-2005 11:34 AM

I get the same thing in my 2000 ML430! I hate it. Have to switch off the warmer after a couple minutes (or turn it down to the single light). I just thought it was normal since we have never had warmers. But then again, don't use them much here in Vegas :) Now, in DC we use warmers quite a lot in the winter.

N1PRJ 02-08-2005 07:06 PM

Seat burned my buns

Well, this one is true. I had the seat covers replaced after repeated burns on my right leg from one of these malfunctioning heating elements. It eventually burned a spot into the leather so they could see what I was talking about. I have a picture somewhere. The dealer said they replaced the seat, but I think they just replaced the covers.

It started out feeling like I was being pinched and it took a long time to figure out what it actually was.

Stiggs 02-09-2005 07:45 PM

Damn....consider yourselves lucky. My lower heating unit in the drivers seat is blown. I have to replace it for around $200. My @ss is cold!!!! But my lower back is nice and toasty!

mihir_d 02-09-2005 08:23 PM

Just out of curiosity..

Is it possible to install seat warmers on seats that didn't come with that option from the factory?

If yes, how hard would it be?

55fanatic 02-09-2005 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mihir_d
Is it possible to install seat warmers on seats that didn't come with that option from the factory?

If yes, how hard would it be?

PITA... You have to take the cover off the seat and then you need to hollow out the cushion a little to fit the heating packs in... I have a website somewhere that shows how to do it and the other different options you could do while your in the seat, like massagers too

MDMB 02-10-2005 12:25 PM

yeah,ouch!

No kidding, about middle of my left thigh. I wasn't sure exactly what it was either.....at first. I do hope they recall this.

akbro93704 02-11-2005 01:24 AM

ya this is a problem. This happened in the driver's seat of my dad's '03 ML55, I was driving it and all of the sudden it got extremely hot so I turned it off. After a few seconds there was a horrible burning smell, so we took the car in and they had to replace the bottom seat cover/leather and coils. They better recall this.

kokketiel 02-17-2005 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
PITA... You have to take the cover off the seat and then you need to hollow out the cushion a little to fit the heating packs in... I have a website somewhere that shows how to do it and the other different options you could do while your in the seat, like massagers too

The seat heaters are actually embedded in the leather covers. To do an OEM job will require replacing the seat bottom and seat back leather covers.