MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164-72/)
-   -   engine problems? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/111108-engine-problems.html)

jangjiman 06-13-2005 09:48 PM

engine problems?

I just recently bought my ML350 and have come to this forum for help. The problems that I have encountered are:

1:The fuel gauge suddenly goes down to empty even though I still have more than half a tank left. Goes back to normal after I leave the engine off for a while.

2: When I try to turn the engine on with my A/C on, my engine shuts off. I'm thinking the engine is working too hard but even my toyota doesn't shut down on me just because I have my A/C on. I even have Hyundai that doesn't shut down on me.

GregW / Oregon 06-13-2005 11:27 PM

Issues

Originally Posted by jangjiman
I just recently bought my ML350 and have come to this forum for help. The problems that I have encountered are:

1:The fuel gauge suddenly goes down to empty even though I still have more than half a tank left. Goes back to normal after I leave the engine off for a while.

2: When I try to turn the engine on with my A/C on, my engine shuts off. I'm thinking the engine is working too hard but even my toyota doesn't shut down on me just because I have my A/C on. I even have Hyundai that doesn't shut down on me.

1. Probably a simple connection problem ("loose wire").
2. Engine is "working too hard?" Umm, I don't think so. There should be 260 or so spare horsepower. I can't diagnose that one, though.

jangjiman 06-13-2005 11:43 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking about the engine too. But the wierd thing is right when I turn off the A/C, the engine starts up perfectly.

Chip 06-14-2005 11:21 AM

The older ML's had pretty lousy fuel gages which MB never fixed or upgraded. I had one that would go to empty and bounce back to a 1/3, plus the the car still had 5 to 6 gallons left when it did get to empty. You would think that MB would of done something about that in the redesign.

Wolfgang 06-14-2005 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chip
The older ML's had pretty lousy fuel gages which MB never fixed or upgraded.

Hello Chip, there were a few redesigns. Still not as reliable as in the 'good old days' but should be an improvement. :y

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/badgas.html

jangjiman 06-14-2005 02:05 PM

wow...the last post might have solved my problem. I clicked on the link and it says that is the engine stalls, then I might have too heavy chains on my keys. It's true that I have some heavy keys on my keychain. House key, business warehouse key, other car keys, mailbox key, alarm remotes, etc....

jangjiman 06-14-2005 03:39 PM

I've come to the conclusion that's it's not my keys because it still doesn't start without my other keys. I have also decided that next time I buy a car, I'm buying a lexus... :) . I liked the new design but I have a feeling it's going to cause me some problems in the future. My transmission is already making wierd clunk noises.

jangjiman 06-17-2005 11:44 AM

I'm having more engine problem. When get my engine to turn on, it starts revving all by itself. I'm not a car pro and don't know the exact term for it. But this is the sound it makes.....vroooom....vroooom...vroooom. Once again all by itself.

Chip 06-17-2005 12:11 PM

Yeah, you can't put on too many keys with the smart keys. it pulls on the key somehow. Most MB's will run at a higher RPM for a few seconds when you start a cold engine, but they shouldn't go Vroom, Vroom. Somethings wrong, take it to the dealer. It's not abnormal for a few things like that to go wrong with a new one. Doesn't sound serious.

Cozz 06-18-2005 12:24 AM

I'm having more engine problem. When get my engine to turn on, it starts revving all by itself. I'm not a car pro and don't know the exact term for it. But this is the sound it makes.....vroooom....vroooom...vroooom. Once again all by itself.

Hi jangjiman, Just letting you know that I don't believe a word that you're saying. It seems you have been reading problems of the older ML's.

Why would anyone talk about so many issues. Anyone with half a brain would be calling the dealer before talking about it on the forums.

GregW / Oregon 06-18-2005 12:29 AM

Problems?

Originally Posted by Cozz
Hi jangjiman, Just letting you know that I don't believe a word that you're saying. It seems you have been reading problems of the older ML's.

Why would anyone talk about so many issues. Anyone with half a brain would be calling the dealer before talking about it on the forums.

Yes, it sounds a little sketchy.

ML God 06-18-2005 12:40 AM

I agree with you both...so far I havent seen any promblem like that yet....MBZ is watching all complaints and repairs very closly and issueing DTBs accordly

Sparky 06-18-2005 07:40 AM

My ML500 is scheduled to be built next week, and I really want to hear all feedback (good and bad) from those who already have their ML500's. Thanks!

Sparky 06-18-2005 07:41 AM

But, please please be truthful!

dserban2 06-18-2005 09:36 AM

As I have posted before, after three weeks and 1500 miles, nothing wrong with my ML500. Runs flawlessly, no rattles, no problems. I hope it will last for at least 3 more years. Too soon to say.
There are only two or three people on the forum who are having problems. This is a too small sample to be significant. Nevertheless is regrettable and "I feel their pain" since I have been there with MB five years ago.

jangjiman 06-19-2005 04:40 PM

Just letting you know I don't really care if you believe me. I set up an appointment for monday because they said they couldn't guarantee me a loaner car till then. Why would I just read other car problems and post them.
I just came to the forums because I know a lot of people tinker with your cars. Just wanted to know if these problems were minor or major. I don't know if you have enough time to go around reading older ML problems and reposting them. I have a full brain so don't worry about. Why don't you stop going around assuming things.

Cozz 06-19-2005 05:47 PM

Just letting you know I don't really care if you believe me. I set up an appointment for monday because they said they couldn't guarantee me a loaner car till then. Why would I just read other car problems and post them.
I just came to the forums because I know a lot of people tinker with your cars. Just wanted to know if these problems were minor or major. I don't know if you have enough time to go around reading older ML problems and reposting them. I have a full brain so don't worry about. Why don't you stop going around assuming things.

Don't worry, I'm not assuming. I'm fully believing that I don't believe you. I never said you're a lair just that the stuff you posted is hard to believe.

Chip 06-19-2005 06:24 PM

This is the place where I come to find out about problems with a model that I may buy or find out what to do about the problems that I may have. It really is the only place to compare notes with other users. I love walking in and telling a dealer that I am not the only one having a certain proplem, shuts them up really fast if they are hedging. They all read these boards.

If this guys car is cycling like this I don't think immediately think he is making it up. I'm sure he could be a Chev. Dealer that is steering us to buy Tahoes from him but I doubt it.

Cozz 06-20-2005 11:16 PM

Infact, I know some one at MBUSA in NJ. Please give me the last 5 digits of your VIN# and your dealer via PM. He can give me a WTD list on your car.

Nevada Jack 06-21-2005 09:46 AM

Infact, I know some one at MBUSA in NJ. Please give me the last 5 digits of your VIN# and your dealer via PM. He can give me a WTD list on your car.

Hey Cozz...if you have a friend at MBUSA, ask him why Keyless Go is NOT an option on the R350 while it is on the R500 (same with the ML models.) I am about to cancel my R350 order unless I hear that MB will option KG on the R350. Thanks

Paul Le Corre 06-21-2005 09:50 AM

Cancelling your order because of the lack of Keyless Go, isn't it a little too harsh??

Nevada Jack 06-21-2005 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
Cancelling your order because of the lack of Keyless Go, isn't it a little too harsh??

Read my threads on this forum and the W251 Forum...also GCF MB R Class Forum. It may be "harsh" but earned by MBUSA. What $66,000 "luxury Grand Sports Tourer" doesn't offer a KG option...you guessed it....the R Class R350 by Mercedes Benz!

Cozz 06-21-2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Hey Cozz...if you have a friend at MBUSA, ask him why Keyless Go is NOT an option on the R350 while it is on the R500 (same with the ML models.) I am about to cancel my R350 order unless I hear that MB will option KG on the R350. Thanks

I'll see what I can do. I don't think he deals with that but I can ask. Also, is there even the full list of features for the R-class? Didn't the Euro modal have the feature?

Is there a thread on this? Maybe we can continue there. I'll have a check on the mean time.

Nevada Jack 06-21-2005 10:38 PM

I'll see what I can do. I don't think he deals with that but I can ask. Also, is there even the full list of features for the R-class? Didn't the Euro modal have the feature?

Is there a thread on this? Maybe we can continue there. I'll have a check on the mean time.

Go to the R Class W251 Forum...there is a thread on this subject. I talked with my dealer today and he talked with the local MB sales rep and he feels my pain but does not think MB will change anything. I am slowly resigning myself to order the R500 with KG and pay MB the extra $5-7000.

damsy 06-23-2005 05:44 PM

my ml350 runs smoothly, 2500 miles now in 2 months and not a single hiccup. the only thing is i find myself looking for the gear in the mid console, just getting used to the steering wheel shifter.