M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

No third row seating: a deal killer

Old 08-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
No third row seating: a deal killer

I started to shop for a SUV to replace the lease 2001 ML320 I returned in april. Since that time my family has grown and now we have a 2 year old toddler and a 3 months old baby. I am very satisfy with all mine MB( even the ML320) and naturally I would preferred another Benz. But the lack of 3 row seating pretty much eliminate a mid to large size family. It is impossible to fit the inlaws and 2 Britax baby seats in the backseat when visiting the inlaws in Toronto. And if my parents visit, someone will be tie down on the roof. A R-class is an option but I preferred a SUV for the winter in Buffalo NY especially 2 feet of snow can fell overnight.

So I went to the Lexus dealer this past week and test drove the GX470. The GX470 was fully loaded except for the KDD suspension, and the MSRP is comparable to a similiar options/loaded ML350. No flamming please, as I still do love my Benzes. It was very comfortable, quiet and civilized ride. Moderate body roll during corning but that is expected. The interior is spacious, good ergonomic, and top notch material. The 3 row seats are adequate for baby seats but unlike the Acura MDX it needs to be remove to maximize the cargo space. The blue tooth and navigation is easy to use. We are very impressed with the GX470. Eventhough we will still shop around but the Lexus is on the top of our list. I still wish the ML have the 3 seating option because it is still a better looking car eventhough I am impressed with the GX470.

John
Old 08-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
Just wait for the new G and that way you get seven, or if you are fine with 6 why not look at an R. It doesn't look like you will be going off roading.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,166 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
3rd row options

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
A R-class is an option but I preferred a SUV for the winter in Buffalo NY especially 2 feet of snow can fell overnight.
John
As Phbenz suggests, the R-Class should be nearly as competent as the ML on roads, as it has the same drivetrain. Air suspension would give you needed clearance for deep snow. The G-Class will be similar to a large ML.

I can understand your need for room but I'm happy the ML is 2 rows only as I have no need for the third and the space is put to better use for the 25 gallon tank and underfloor spare.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML350
Apparently they did not sell enough of the 3rd row seat option in the last generation ML to make it into the current model. And isn't the R Class AWD as well?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R-Class all wheel drive

Originally Posted by E55AMG2005
And isn't the R Class AWD as well?
Yes, as I said, same drivtrain exactly. It's a much larger (longer) vehicle, but onroad should be as competent as the ML with the right tires.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Yes, as I said, same drivtrain exactly. It's a much larger (longer) vehicle, but onroad should be as competent as the ML with the right tires.

I still prefer SUV for better visibility especially during the lake effect snow we often get here. However the dealer did tell me a long wheel base ML is due next year and it should have 3rd row seating. It is good news(if the info is correct) but it wouldn't help me surviving this winter. I narrow my option down to Lexus GX470(loaded & with navi and bluetooth) at $47000, a $5700 discount, or an Acura MDX(loaded & with navi and bluetooth) at $39000, a $4000 discount. My wife prefers the Lexus for long term ownership. She like the Lexus's expensive feel compare to the MDX. I have one month to decide.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 08-23-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3rd row options

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I still prefer SUV for better visibility especially during the lake effect snow we often get here. However the dealer did tell me a long wheel base ML is due next year and it should have 3rd row seating. It is good news(if the info is correct) but it wouldn't help me surviving this winter. I narrow my option down to Lexus GX470(loaded & with navi and bluetooth) at $47000, a $5700 discount, or an Acura MDX(loaded & with navi and bluetooth) at $39000, a $4000 discount. My wife prefers the Lexus for long term ownership. She like the Lexus's expensive feel compare to the MDX. I have one month to decide.

John
I don't think a few inches of eye height has much impact. The R-Class is taller than typical station wagons. You might want to check it out, as it is out soon.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Almost a Member!

ML 500, John Deere tractor
Yeah, well I wanted a four door pickup with an eight foot bed but it won't fit in my garage.

I wanted a BMW X3 but there's more room in the trunk of my daughter's Accord than there is behind the back seat of it.

I wanted a Corvette but I didn't want to have to grow a mustache.

I wanted a Lexus LS 430 but my wife wanted an SUV.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by Curious George
Yeah, well I wanted a four door pickup with an eight foot bed but it won't fit in my garage.

I wanted a BMW X3 but there's more room in the trunk of my daughter's Accord than there is behind the back seat of it.

I wanted a Corvette but I didn't want to have to grow a mustache.

I wanted a Lexus LS 430 but my wife wanted an SUV.
AND what is your point? At least I am fortunate enough to afford different cars for different purposes. And yes I am Benz loyalist too.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 08-25-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Almost a Member!

My wife I went down this same path with our third child. three rows of seats are nice, but a wide second row is even better.

we ended up with a Nissan Armada (or you could go Infiniti qx56-good deals to be had now), and are able to have two Britax Husky's (for 5 and 3 year olds) and one britax convertable baby seat all in the second row. still have all the useable space in the rear for storage etc. very easy to help buckle the kids in at pick up time from school.

most others have the mini vans, but have to crawl back or come in from the rear to buckle in the third row kids(assuming they are under 6 and can't do it themselves)...this would be an issue with any third row seated vehicle...not to mention, no useable space with seat in use.

I excluded the lexus due to the dated third row/flip up out of the way seats.

I miss the quality of the mb (had a 99 ml430 and then a 2001 x5 4.4), but I love the space.

IMHO the Nissan/Infiniti was the best bang for the buck for size/comfort on the market.

dr dave
2005 e500 sport
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
long wheel base ML is due next year
That's the new G.....should be out late spring.

I'm snagging one.....or hopefully the AMG version....heck if they are making a boat AMG R class....they gotta make a G AMG.