M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

command screen not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML350 Black/Black Appearance Package/ 06 SC430 Pearl White/White 19" Amistad, Tein CS coilovers
command screen not working

My wife just got home and told me she could not turn on the radio. When you scroll to Audio on the dash it says Audio Please Wait. The command screen is just black and you can't access anything, None of the buttons work. This 06 ML350 is not even a month old.

Can anyone help?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Welcome to the whole array of electrical problems of MB. I've had quite a bit of them...the seat belts sensors, the 6 CD changer, the tilting mirror to park, and the easy entry seat...all these in just three months of ownership. Thank God I have not had any mechanical problem...but electrical yeah...quite a few. I guess you just have to take it to the dealer...there might be just a fuse or they may need to change the whole thing. I really do not mind that much going to the dealer since it is very close to my house, but if you live far away...it sucks...hopefully you won't encounter more electrical problem...however, use the heck out of your stereo, I have the Premium one and it broke down after less than 10 uses...they took all my CD's with it ...I am very careful with everything but for some reason this thing broke down and had to be replaced...so try everything out to catch the problems and fix them on time.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 PM

06 ML350 Black/Black Appearance Package/ 06 SC430 Pearl White/White 19" Amistad, Tein CS coilovers
I have the premium H/K as well.
This really boggles my mind. A month old and allready the radio won't turn on?
Everyone warned me about getting a Mercedes especially since I own a Lexus sc430. Wow quality cannot even compare.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Similiar problems are rampant on the E as well. I'm not sure what fuse it might be on the ML, but on the E, if you remove fuse 6 for a little bit, and place it back in, it does a reset of the audio gateway, which is probably causing the problem.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by alewifebp
Similiar problems are rampant on the E as well. I'm not sure what fuse it might be on the ML, but on the E, if you remove fuse 6 for a little bit, and place it back in, it does a reset of the audio gateway, which is probably causing the problem.
Thanks for the advise. I called service and they said I would have to leave the vehicle for atleast a few hours with no loaner. They have a three week wait for loaners. They must be performing a lot of service

I couldn't find fuse #6. I removed and put back all fuses one by one. There are fuses in the front engine compartment, in the glove compartment and in the rear cargo area. Then I turned the key on and presto it worked. I don't know how long it will be before it goes out again, obviously there is a problem.

Wow what a pile of crap!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
most likely, you'll never see this problem again. my own interpretation is that the software got stuck in some sort of loop which pulling the fuse "hard reset".

however, if you see it again bring it to the dealer and throw them the book. get them to replace every possible damn thing
Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM

We had a somewhat similar problem which initially was thought to be a Comand software issue. When that turned out not to be the solution, the MB tech rep got involved. The actually solution related to a replacement of the dealer installed Ipod kit (even though it wasn't being used). Once this was done, the problem was completely solved.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 ML 350
I found solution check my post "ml350 command error solved"

I solved my problem
But I am not sure same issue you have as mine.
So check my post
Search post
"2102 ML350 command error solved"
Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 PM

2006 ML 350
Hello. I realize this is an old post but pertinent to my issue that I just solved and wanted to share on my '06 ML350 (CD with CD Changer, no navigation). My radio was often not turning on right away at startup, a delayed Power On until after I got underway, taking longer and longer to turn on until it just didn't turn on at all. Prior to kaput the sound (from Sirius/XM) was a little mushy, too, but I thought it may have been weather-related.

Anywhooo, I pulled 4 fuses and let the car sit for about an hour (maybe overkill), the result was what is called a "soft reset" of the entire Comand (yep, a single "M" in there) system. I pulled out the following four fuses:

- Passenger side - The 7.5A Dark Amber fuse for the CD changer (your version may not have one). 4th from the bottom, the only 7.5A fuse in mine
- Rear (right) fuse box - 15A Blue fuse for the Comand/NAV/CD/DVD/Radio on far left "column" (when looking at fuses from top to bottom, you'll know what I mean), 2nd one from bottom
- Rear (right) fuse box - 30A Green fuse for the amplifier, 4th slot up from bottom, I say slot because these fit horizontally (this fuse controlled amplifier which was not likely my issue since it was the head unit that wasn't turning on and the amp is "after" that in the chain, post signal/head unit)
- Rear (right) fuse box - 10A Red fuse for Audio Gateway AGW, 3rd column, 4th from bottom. I think this goes to some sort of a "controller" under the rear seat (driver-side), where a confluence of wires/optic cable join together for the sound system

Pulled all, went and ate lunch, knocked around, put all back in, prayed, turned on ignition and I heard the CD changer start up, hit power button and on it came, crystal clear audio, fully functioning again.

There are services on eBay that charge $200 to fix these but I kind of think that pulling the unit and sending it off for that long effectively creates the above "reset".

Your mileage may vary, but perhaps this will help someone as a final step before repair/replace.

This forum is awesome, I've learned a lot (and saved quite a bit of money) and I will contribute as I experience more.

EDIT/UPDATE: After sitting for a while I started the car and the radio was not coming on. Drove down the road a way and it turned on. Better than not coming on at all, but a problem persists. Any ideas would be appreciated as to why Comand head unit fails to come on immediately. Thanks.

Last edited by andyclev; 01-17-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Update - problem came back, sort of....
Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
There are only two fuses that run the Command, fuses #20 & 25 in the load compartment fuse box.

Since the screen comes off and on, with the key out of the ign. remove and insert each fuse 5 times and then check the screen.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:15 PM

2006 ML 350
Thank you, Maj. Dundee. I tried and no joy. Will keep plugging away and will update if/when I find a solution.

Maybe one of the audio components is going out. The head unit/CD/CD Changer appear to be working fine ONCE it comes on, same with amp. Perhaps it's that Audio Gateway module that's going flaky on me.

Thanks again and I will update when solved.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 PM

2006 ML 350
Update: Under driver-side rear seat, under the hard cloth-like cover, I believe sits the Audio Gateway. There was no indication of water penetration but I noticed a dust-like powder, able to wipe with my finger. Without removing any cabling (plastics can crack at this age) I wiggled all connectors and ever since (4 days and counting) the radio comes on immediately with perfect audio, no distortion. Perhaps the connections were a little dusty/dirty and the wiggling did the trick. Then again, the ghost may have decided to leave my machine. Time will tell.

Update 2/7/20: All was well for a while then delayed starting of Comand head unit, then not coming on at all (or as long as I was driving around town, perhaps 30 minutes). This morning I took out all fuses again (see prior post), let it sit for about an hour, and everything worked again. During lunch the radio delayed coming on but eventually did. Thinking I may have to take it to the dealer to get tested. My indy mechanic doesn't do radios. Will post after that is done, not sure when.

Update 3/18/20: It appears, at least for now, that pulling/re-plugging fuses 38 and 39 (head unit and Sat Radio) did the trick! In hindsight, there was a little water penetration along the top of the rear hatch due to degraded/broken seal, which was since replaced, perhaps a little more corrosion occurred on those fuses. I will report back if this latest attempt fails, and if not then good to go! Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited by andyclev; 03-18-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Update without new post
Old 10-30-2023, 12:28 PM

ML350 W164 2007
Command ubit update

I experienced similar issues with audio system as described in earlier posts on the subject. Problems appeared at times sporadic with command screen at times stuck on Benz logo with and without radio sound working. Soft resets and other recovery options managed to resume operations but eventually problems became more persistent. As of late I removed command unit and checked the fiber optic signals in and out of command unit. Incoming signals appeared ok, but no outgoing LED beam was registered. Disconnecting all wiring harnesses and moving unit indoors into airconditioned room (Outside temperatures here are in the 110 Fs and above).to try and inspect cooling fan operation did at first not yield any results. Installing the unit back in the car following day had the outbould LED beams working again and the command unit became fully operational again.
AMFM Radio, CD, Telelphone, Rear Camera, all controls including steering wheel controls were restored to normal. However once I turned ignition key off and restarted car Command unit again stuck on Benz logo but audio from last selected radio station audible. Telephone mode was operational to receive calls as well. All control buttons both on the command unit as well as on steering wheel are not functioning. Hence I am stuck on one radio station and use of telephone only, a mode I that I had encountered some time in the past. Only then command unit started up in the mornings ok, but "froze=up" once I restarted the car. I suspected Kuwait's heat to be part of the problem but cannot be certain on this.

Anyone with some advice on this would be welcome!