M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Command still works after keys removed and door locked!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Command still works after keys removed and door locked!

I don't know if it's a design flaw or it's intended to do so....

What happened yesterday is after driving home, i shut down the engine and take out the key. Then i realized that I need to take the CD out, so i press eject and take out the CD, and i put another CD back into it.

Then it started playing! I don't really expect it to work after the key has been removed! (at least not the CD player!) So i tried and see if it still will work if i lock the car, and guess what, it's STILL PLAYING! I haven't try the NAVI and SAT, but i guess they will work as well...

I guess it's the best way to drain the battery within warranty to get a free replacement!

I know Chevolet has this feature because I once rented a Cobalt and the stereo still works after you remove the key, but once you open the door, it will turn off itself....
Old 10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
The audio system can be turned on without the key on most MB's simply by pushing the power button. The system will turned off by itself after about 30 minutes to prevent running the battery flat. In cars with keyless go, the system will also stay on until the drivers door is opened. Again, if the door is not opened or you exit via another door, the system will stay on, but turn off in about 30 minutes. If you have the Bluetooth puck, the system will stay on if you have a call in progress after the ignition is turned off, even if you leave the car and transfer the audio to your phone. The ystem will turn off when the puck "goes to sleep" (why MB couldn't figure out how to shut the puck off with the car I'll never know).

- FD