M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

06 ML350 Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 2006
ML350 2006. The notorious harsh downshift from 3-2-1. I know what it is - I havev read too many forums.

I would just like to know, if the following symptom is related with the same problem.

When the car is moving slowly, approx. 10-15 mph and I push the accelerator mildly, switching from 2nd to 3rd gear feels like the change happens a bit late and the car is being pushed forward, as it changes at higher rpm.

Is it the faulty valve body, software problem, or it maybe gone with oil change? Maybe clutches already warped?

Oh, yes and putting into reverse gear also takes more than 1 second.

Thank you in advance
The following users liked this post:
Alexisjanpak (09-25-2020)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Transmission Issue - Stuck in gear

I have done a "cut and paste" from another related thread and put it here as well since it is applicable.
I can now add my experience to all of yours in my 2007 ML63 AMG that has approximately 75,500 miles on it. with the 722.9 automatic transmission...

About two months ago, during one of my 8+ hour drives from NJ to NC, while on the highway at cruising speeds (75-85 mph),I noticed that if I wanted to pass a slower vehicle in front of me the automatic transmission would not downshift from 7th gear. Only when I would pull over and stop, turn off the engine, then turn it back on would the problem be alleviated.
This continued to happen during my next trip from NJ to Long Island, with similar results.

Finally, on my most recent trip between NJ and NC at the approximate half way point, 4 hours into my trip, I had to stop at one of the many traffic lights on the secondary highway. When the light turned green I accelerated and the automatic transmission shifted into 1st gear with a shudder and then would NOT shift out of 1st gear and the "CHECK ENGINE" warning light on the dashboard illuminated. ! I tried to over ride the automatic transmission with the manual paddle buttons on back of the steering wheel, but no luck. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned the engine off then back on, and that also did not work. I used the MBRACE feature to find where the nearest M-B Dealer is located and learned it is in Salisbury, MD. So driving in "Limp Home Mode" for approx. 45 mins. in 1st gear at 30 mph, at 3,500 rpms in the far right lane, with my emergency flashers on I slowly drove into the Dealer's Service Dept., whom I had called ahead to alert them of my predicament.

Their diagnostic analysis confirmed that the ETC module, (the transmission's computer brain), connected to the valve body / conductor plate inside the transmission had malfunctioned and had to be replaced. As other posters have noted, this is what MBUSA considers a "theft related part" that is the same part for the ML, E and C class vehicles, and is only provided from their distribution center in northern NJ on an "as needed" basis to authorized M-B Dealers with the necessary computer equipment to proper coding. For me this meant two day delivery time for M-B of Salisbury to receive the part from NJ. Thankfully they were able to get the new replacement ETC module in a reasonable time frame and install, program and test it. The process involved their having to remove the transmission casing in order to switch out the faulty part with the new replacement part. This then required a new transmission gasket and new transmission fluid be added back in, followed by the necessary coding / programming and road testing. I previously had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced at 50,000 miles so this was 25,000 miles later. The total cost for all this work was just under $1,000. with a one year warranty on both parts and labor. They gave me a 10% discount on all parts due to my being a member of the MBCA.
(I also had them perform an engine oil / filter replacement since it was almost due for that as well, which I have done every 6,000-7,000 miles).

The unfortunate irony was that my M-B extended warranty on this vehicle expired at the end of May 2013, so I had to pay for this repair out-of-pocket. Thankfully, the M-B Dealer provided me with a M-B loaner vehicle so I could continue my trip to NC and then pick up my repaired ML63 on my trip back north a number of days later. So far, the repaired transmission sounds and works as it should....

So for those of you who have experienced similar transmission issues, be forewarned that your will most likely have to deal with this replacement exercise.
Aside from this episode, this vehicle has been an excellent, fun, fast and dependable weekend and vacation hauler for myself, my wife and our assorted "stuff".....

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 08-20-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
ML320 CDI 2007

Just bought this ML, been serviced by Mercedes throughout its life, now at 118K and two days after buying, drove through heavy rain for 300 miles on the motorway, didnt use the kickdown much. The next day, the turbo didn't seem to kick in, and the car wouldnt rev high (like in limp mode) standing traffic allowed me to turn uignition on and off. This seemed to solve the issue, then the car would go from no power to loads of power rather than gradual. today its started again with no power.. any ideas
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350, 2006 SLK280
adriankirk1:

This does sound like a tranny problem that needs to be fixed. I like to use good indy repair guys when I can, but for this I would only go to the dealer. If it is a conductor plate replacement then they have to do it anyway.

A side note: the 350 engine is naturally aspirated, no turbo. The power surge you are feeling is likely the tranny catching gears after slippage or some clutch problem. If you were having misfires or some timing problem then the check engine light would come on.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM

ML320
thanks
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Clk 230 Komp
ML sucks?

so it come down to this! the w124 was the last great of the mb! these days its no better then the rest of the premium germans. hate to say it i am a mb lover (european) but its **** for the big money! i would now i work as a mercedes mechanik. the rust tok out the w210 early (i speak for north eruo now never been to usa) the w211 huff huff huff HUFF its crap sheep electronic and horrible bad link up suspenssion and line four it where out like any other sheeper cars in medium klasse. only thing is we take 270 dollar a hour! pluss parts!!
the ML!? is horrible bad but this is us make only we dondt make ML in europe

i forgot the ****ing oil leak after first year (cdi motors) the ****ing air belg system that sucks and garanti service cost LOOL!!!! we match only ducati mc in rappid service intervalls for maintaining the garanti here in Norway a service aproxx 1500 dollars B aproxx 2500. that NOT included user parts like brakes/rubbers/suppesion A GONE TAIL LIGHT IS NOT INKLUDED extra 50 d pr light and work for shift bad parts
when that said! mercedes saying now that they gonne go back to the old quality now they gonna reduse the profite with 2/3. so its hope

Last edited by TomasClk; 03-01-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Clk 230 Komp
re

and as we speak the w212s is flushing in to the garage with the same same as the 211, its to heavy for our crappy roads with astromale nr of speed bumbs (city) it reavs havoc on the susspensions and links. main problem is clear its made for high speed crousing in autobhan and mabye USA? because its obiuos that the CDI make to mutch tork (diesel) on low Rpm so the driver dondt ease on the gas before the hole car is rumbling on uneven roads. and with the high comfort on the mb when u feel wibration be sure the poore sups working beyound its capasity
Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Clk 230 Komp
re

80% of all MB is CDI in Norway 200 220 270 350 ect. 430 and up is rare here because the crazy tax on motor volume over 1800 cc a new ml500 here cost 331000 dollars lol. living in USA for a motor entusiast is a dream! a pure utopi!
the cost killls all the life of cool MBS . so we go to bed thinking of all the good thing we (north europe) have instead of a big engine mb, we have house loan, ungreatfull kids, angry wife and a ****ty w211 220 cdi wagon with 130000 on the meter with still 38000 $ left on the loan on the car lol, and now all the work starts on the car. all big stuff altenator! starter! Nox regenator exaust! dampers!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM

06 ML350/Audi A4 -ret C230/ML320
06 ML 350 Valve Body Replacement Cost

.. We have the same issue - MBZ dealer could not replicate our problem ! "really MBZ how about read some post here !"

took the SUV to our local merc mechanic - found the fault and now we will be out $1900.00 - for valve body, tranny fluid and tranny works

another work done wile at shop - upper pulley and belt MBZ dealer $900.00 est. local merc mechanic - $400.00. guess he's being nice to me for that $1900.00 valve body replacement ..

Overall - the 06 ML 350 been a good car to us - our 2nd one ! has 161K on the clock and hoping to get more out of it !! after this work ..
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350
13 06 21 06 valve body

Originally Posted by brakel8
An 06 ML came with a 14 06 valve body which allows the 2-1 downshift before the vehicle reaches a standstill. This down shift is very un comfortable in traffic. When the dealer checks for newer software the computer states there is no newer software available. The solution is to replace the valve body with a 13 06 or a 21 06 which accepts the new software and takes care of the shift quality. The dealer has to submit the part numbers and software levels to MB to recieve authorization to replace the valve body under warranty. Please be patient and ask for a shop foreman to be involved as many techs are not aware of these details. Hope this helps.
I believe this is the exact problem I'm having. I need to purchase the part but I can't find a 13 06 or 21 06 in any part numbers for them.. Can someone please help me figure this out.. I did find one that said it was a 06-13..is it the same thing? We have a big trip coming up and I want to get this fixed before we go.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by Cody Skidmore
I believe this is the exact problem I'm having. I need to purchase the part but I can't find a 13 06 or 21 06 in any part numbers for them.. Can someone please help me figure this out.. I did find one that said it was a 06-13..is it the same thing? We have a big trip coming up and I want to get this fixed before we go.
Piggy-backing on a 50+ thread does not explain your problem. Open your own thread an explain your problem in detail.

Do you own a scanner?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 AM

320 CDI
I am all for getting another Lexus but my wife is hooked on that "Mercedes ride". Ya, great ride. Left her stranded 125 miles from home. Dealer has had it for 3 days and no luck.