M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Bluetooth cell phone problems with '09 ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Bluetooth cell phone problems with '09 ML350

The dealer cannot fix this problem. Has anyone experienced this cell phone screen problem and has a solution????

I have a cell phone that is bluetooth enabled properly with my ML350. When phone calls come in, the nav screen changes to the cell phone screen and asks whether I want to accept the call. I do and after the call is completed, the screen is supposed to revert back to the nav screen but does not. It just remains in the cell phone screen. (It should revert back to the radio display if that what I was using prior to incomming call). This happens about 60% of the time. It does not matter if the calls are incomming or outgoing. The problem persists.

The problem is that my screen freezes in the cell phone screen. It does not disengage and revert back to the nav or radio screen. Additionally, when I get into the car with my cell phone in my pocket, when I start the car, the screen immediately goes into the cell phone screen. The radio plays but the screen is in the cell phone mode. This happens about 40% of the time. The screen is supposed to open up with the radio screen.

The dealer is not fixing this and is confused by the problem. Anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Last edited by skytop; 04-13-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 ML350 Black/Black Appearance Package/ 06 SC430 Pearl White/White 19" Amistad, Tein CS coilovers
I have had my 09 for about a month now and use the bluetooth with my Blackberry. When I enter the car and turn on the radio or nav a small window pops up saying "connected to Blackberry 8900" and then disapears leaving me in the mode I was in. If I am in radio or nav screen and receive a call my screen does not go to telephone mode, rather a small window appears over the radio or nav screen displaying the number and the accept and reject message. After I accept or reject the call the small window disapears leaving whatever screen I had on before the call came in. Now when making a call if you dont use the the dash display and steering wheel functions you will have to switch to phone mode and make your call, it will not switch back to the previous screen radio, nav etc... because you had to switch it to phone mode to make the call in the first place. I am pretty sure this is the case but not 100% sure about the dash display and steering controls.

We should have a thread about what people are discovering with their bluetooth, Nav functions and voice control as I am sure there are a lot of little secrets especially to us newbies with the the 09 models.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Originally Posted by camillian
I have had my 09 for about a month now and use the bluetooth with my Blackberry. When I enter the car and turn on the radio or nav a small window pops up saying "connected to Blackberry 8900" and then disapears leaving me in the mode I was in. If I am in radio or nav screen and receive a call my screen does not go to telephone mode, rather a small window appears over the radio or nav screen displaying the number and the accept and reject message. After I accept or reject the call the small window disapears leaving whatever screen I had on before the call came in.
Mine acts the same way with a Sony Ericsson phone.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Mario...

Hi Mario: Thanks very much for the complete explanation of your bluetooth operation.

My unit operates initially like yours (with the little window asking for permission to answer or ignore call). However, mine deviates from yours in that about half the time, after an incomming or outgoing call is completed, the display remains in the dark bluetooth screen.

I have to manually press buttons to get back to the nav or radio screen. If I press a station button on the keypad, the radio (which is on) doesn't change station but instead, the bluetooth thinks I am dialing. I must manually navigate back to the radio screen. It is a nuisance. I really wish it had a console command knob like the other MB's. At speed, it is not good to have to look at the stack to pick out little indistinct buttons to press. At night, it is downright dangerous.

The dealer sees the problem happen but is incapable of fixing this fault twice already. I am making yet another appointment for a number of problems I am experiencing and the bluetooth will be at the top of the list.

BTW, I installed an Infinity Bass Link II sub/amp to reinforce the weak factory sound system. For relatively very little money, I now have a super clean installation that corrects the puny low frequency sound system response and it now sounds quite good. The factory mids and highs are acceptable but the bottom end was weak, boomy, loose and gutless. I suggest to anyone with this car to check Infinity out since it compromises very little rear space. I had the shop include a quick disconnect socket/plug so I can remove it as necessary for max luggage capacity. MB is famous for saving pennies which sacrifices its audio systems. This is why audio dealeras love MB.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
The only bluetooth problem I have is the call volume. I had two dealers tell me that the volume is at the max level and cannot be adjusted higher than the volume knob allows during the call. Imagine how cheated I felt when the C300 loaner I drove had a setting to adjust the call volume, but my super fancy ML couldn't!
As for the screen issue, maybe there is a way to reset the system? Probably like most computers, a lot of strange issues go away after a hard reset. Not sure how to do this, but your condition is not normal. Try another dealer and be persistent. That should have been tested at the factory and fixed before delivery.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML350BTC
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Imagine how cheated I felt when the C300 loaner I drove had a setting to adjust the call volume, but my super fancy ML couldn't!
Difference between 07 Electronics and the new stuff. 09 ML's can now adjust the incoming and outgoing volume levels as well. All 09 models can except the CLK's.