M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

help with better steering/handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
help with better steering/handling

Hi all, my wife "hates" the steering feel...or I sould say light twitchy steering feel of her 08 ML350. He previous Volvo XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 handled much better in sudden steering movements like you'd use to avoid a dog crossing the road fo example. Is there anything...tires, suspension work, etc I can do to tighten this up? we're running the stock 19 " tires. Any idea are appreciated...thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...xperience.html
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
First step is to verify tire pressures are correct.

See driver's door jam or fuel filler flap.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by lkchris
First step is to verify tire pressures are correct.

See driver's door jam or fuel filler flap.
spot on
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by sy1616
Hi all, my wife "hates" the steering feel...or I sould say light twitchy steering feel of her 08 ML350. He previous Volvo XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 handled much better in sudden steering movements like you'd use to avoid a dog crossing the road fo example. Is there anything...tires, suspension work, etc I can do to tighten this up? we're running the stock 19 " tires. Any idea are appreciated...thanks!
Funny thing just bought a '10 for my GF - she loves the ML but was used to driving my lowered Q7 on 35 series 22's.
The Q7 is like a race car (or truck) compared to the ML.
I dont think people here grasp what steering feel is if they are suggesting checking the tire pressures - thats absurd.
The Q has twice the steering response and feel of the ML and is no where near as "light feeling"
As I can not leave any car alone I have ordered the Full Brabus Suspension and it will be here tomorrow and installed by Friday.
This will def. not help the steering feel or the lightness but it should help the
Ship Captain feel i get when driving it.
I also have a set of 22's coming as well as ECU flash which should also be done by Friday or Sat. Then Brabus add on front W Led's) and perhaps the rear and exhaust but im not sure yet.
Did I mention I cant leave anything alone?
So check back Friday and I'll let you know how the Brabus Sport Suspension helped or not.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
sy1616: If you are using a Jeep SRT as your baseline, you should compare it against an ML63, not an ML350. I'll bet the feel of the AMG would be very comparable to that of the SRT.

JT55: So your lowered Q7 with 35 series 22-inch tires has twice the steering response of a stock ML? Well, doh! Now there is the surprise of the week.

The ML's steering is boosted more than many other vehicles, but that doesn't mean the ML is any less nimble. (Not that "nimble" is a word I would generally use to describe a 5,000 lb SUV.) If you want handling in an ML, you gotta have Airmatic. Either that or change springs, shocks, and wheels and shake the fillings out of your teeth.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by JT55
Funny thing just bought a '10 for my GF - she loves the ML but was used to driving my lowered Q7 on 35 series 22's.
The Q7 is like a race car (or truck) compared to the ML.
I dont think people here grasp what steering feel is if they are suggesting checking the tire pressures - thats absurd.
The Q has twice the steering response and feel of the ML and is no where near as "light feeling"
As I can not leave any car alone I have ordered the Full Brabus Suspension and it will be here tomorrow and installed by Friday.
This will def. not help the steering feel or the lightness but it should help the
Ship Captain feel i get when driving it.
I also have a set of 22's coming as well as ECU flash which should also be done by Friday or Sat. Then Brabus add on front W Led's) and perhaps the rear and exhaust but im not sure yet.
Did I mention I cant leave anything alone?
So check back Friday and I'll let you know how the Brabus Sport Suspension helped or not.

AWESOME, post more!!!! Can't wait.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
sy1616: If you are using a Jeep SRT as your baseline, you should compare it against an ML63, not an ML350. I'll bet the feel of the AMG would be very comparable to that of the SRT.

JT55: So your lowered Q7 with 35 series 22-inch tires has twice the steering response of a stock ML? Well, doh! Now there is the surprise of the week.

The ML's steering is boosted more than many other vehicles, but that doesn't mean the ML is any less nimble. (Not that "nimble" is a word I would generally use to describe a 5,000 lb SUV.) If you want handling in an ML, ou gotta have Airmatic. Either that or change springs, shocks, and wheels pand shake the fillings out of your teeth.
Perhaps the wording we are using is not quite correct but I think we all know what we mean. Perhaps Overboosted? And maybe I should have said twice the steering effort?
Whatever- anyways - Brabus Suspension arrived here today as planned.
Stay tuned for tomorrow.
However I really wont be able to tell you much cause the ECU is coming out same day so I wont be able to drive it anyways.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
The ML is an SUV is not meant to be like a car and not meant to be customized to get a better feel since its a waste of money. I like the way the Ml feels and I prefer to leave it alone. I spend my money elsewhere and buy a good sports car or sports sedan if I want a good handling car.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Originally Posted by Baloo588
The ML is an SUV is not meant to be like a car and not meant to be customized to get a better feel since its a waste of money. I like the way the Ml feels and I prefer to leave it alone. I spend my money elsewhere and buy a good sports car or sports sedan if I want a good handling car.
Is any vehicle "meant to be customized"? Surely, there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to put their personal stamp on their daily driver? I'm too old to tolerate the sort of suspension that comes with lowered, stiffer springs and shocks, and, like you, I prefer to spend my money on more sensible things like wine and gourmet food but I don't begrudge the young'uns for 'wasting' their money on whatever pleases them. I have similarly 'wasted' my share over the years.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo588
So you're the authority on what car/SUV is meant to be customized or not?
Where does the "Approved" customizing list exist because next time I'll check it and clear it with you first if the car I purchase is customizable.
While you're at it can you tell me how to live the rest of my life as well?
I wouldn't want to make any unnecessary monetary decisions without clearing it with you first. Since you seem to know what is a Waste of Money and what is not - u think I should invest in the Euro now or wait a few weeks in the hopes it will continue to drop?

Please enlighten me and the rest of the MBWorld members with any other useful info you might have so we might all benefit from living a "non wasteful" life.

From now on if you have any of these tips you can post them at:

WWW.UselessOpinionsNoOneCaresToHear.Org

Thnx. JT

Last edited by JT55; 02-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
Is any vehicle "meant to be customized"? Surely, there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to put their personal stamp on their daily driver? I'm too old to tolerate the sort of suspension that comes with lowered, stiffer springs and shocks, and, like you, I prefer to spend my money on more sensible things like wine and gourmet food but I don't begrudge the young'uns for 'wasting' their money on whatever pleases them. I have similarly 'wasted' my share over the years.
Im not that Yung first of all and second some may argue that Wine and Food may not fall under the category of "more sensible" considering it will be pissed and crapped out in less than 3 hrs whereas I will enjoy my suspension everyday for the next few years.
The term different strokes for different folks should apply here - everyone has there poison they spend THEIR Money on. Whether it be Rims Tires Suspensions etc or Internet ****, Action Figures, Comic Books, Baseball Cards or Gambling and Prostitutes it is actually none of anyones bees wax and really no one Vice is more legit than another.
Maybe there are people out there who can modify cars and eat at a five star restaurant and order a fine bottle of wine all at the same time.

Now back to the THREAD -

Brabus Sport Suspension - One word - Awesome.
Totally diff. Vehicle - transformed it into just what I was looking for and the GF is happy too. And since my GF is 23 and much younger than me making her happy is money well spent cause if shes happy then I can cross of at least 4 things on that list I made above

*Had to wait till Monday to remove ECU couldnt have it back in time for the weekend so I will do it Monday.
For those who are interested I will post those results as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 AM

air suspension would have helped, when it worked.. ;-)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
JT55,

I am entitled to speak my opinion. Don't you ever lecture me on what i can say or what i cannot say. I merely said that if you buy an SUV, don't expect it to handle like a car, and do all that customization to make it handle like a car. You could but it won't be perfect. There are many people who complained of the different shocks and springs that they have purchased with all that money and went back to stock. I have an ML, A8L, GS350 AWD, and 335xi coupe. All have different characters of driving but only the BMW 335xi and GS350 sedan are cars that I would spend money on customizing.

BTW, I love the Q7 with the S-line package. Very decent looking and handles well. We have a friend who owns one in London, England.