M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Potential buyer - ML500 , thoughts needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911 Cabriolet (2000) , Nissan Pathfinder (2000)
Potential buyer - ML500 , thoughts needed.

Alright, I'm new to this board. I've been following it for about a week now and have decided to join as I find myself to be a potential buyer.

I ran into several ML500s for a good prices here. I know someone who is related to the owner of the Merc franchise here and it was said that I could get a great price on the approved used vehicles in their Merc showrooms.

I'm thinking of 2008-2010 (those are my options with the best mileage/quality for value). The rest of em have run up wayyy too many miles and have issues with them. I am leaning towards the ML500 cause where I live the gas is dirt cheap and I'd rather make a larger investment for that V8!

Other options prior to the ML were the beemer X5/X6, VW touareg V8, and Audi Q5 2.0T. Though to be honest I'm not a big audi fan, the look doesn't really do it for me. The only reason I considered it is because of the turbo charged engine and the modding capabilities. Though I'd much rather have a large displacement engine as turbos can be a hassle at times when modding (you need to monitor your turbo like crazy or else you can blow it, especially if you're doing the mods yourself).

So, I basically wanted to know - What is it the ML500 can offer me that other SUVs can't. I'm not convinced that just having the merc brand name is the deciding factor. I currently drive a Porsche 911 (996 model to be exact) Cabriolet which has been slightly modded, and I drive an old beat down 2000 pathfinder which is dying and costing me more than what it's worth. (The car was used in every possible off roading sense you can imagine and time/wear n tear has taken it's toll). So I doubt I will keep it passed the end of this year.

I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the 2008, 2009 and 2010 models. I test drove the 2011 model and it's a brilliant ride. However, a test drive is never enough to tell you whether you'd enjoy driving the car for years and years to come. I understand 2012 is having a make over for the ML series but I'm not too bothered, I find that the 06-11 models still look just as great! Especially with a few cosmetics.

Okay, I've dragged this on enough. Can anyone shed some light on whether or not the ML500 would be a great buy?

(I'm interested in an overall package - power,luxury, style and comfort)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 ML550
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what may be important for one person may be irrelevant for you. But FWIW, here's my take after owning an '09 ML550 (the North American designation of the 500) for two years.

The engine is sweet. Lots of power in a nice flat line, not peaky. (My previous vehicle was a V8 X5 that was supercharged. Ther ML550 is slightly faster even than the modded X5 was.) It's a little thirsty, but you say that doesn't matter to you. The transmission is generally smooth but does have its occasional hiccup, particularly when downshifting at low speeds. Brakes are fine.

I have the Airmatic suspension. I found the regular spring suspension to be a bit choppy, so I popped the extra for the air ride. It is very smooth, right up there with most luxury sedans, but can also be tightened up with a push of a button for negotiating the twisties. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The interior is good as long as you pass on the MBTex/Artico "leather" seat surfaces. The stuff doesn't breathe and is quite nasty in hot weather, although it does wear well. I have perforated leather with seat heating and cooling, which is excellent. The seats themselves are good -- not fabulous, but good. The NAV system is archaic. The sound system (I have the optional Harmon Kardon system) is also good, albeit not fantastic.

The only problems I have had were a battery that failed (replaced under warranty) and a sunroof that refuses to close with one touch. It has been back to the dealer three times and has even had the motor replaced, but it isn't a bad enough problem to justify constant trips back to the dealer, so now I just live with it.

I wouldn't recommend the vehicle if you are an avid modder. There really isn't much you can do other than lower the suspension (if you have the regular sprig ride, which will make the ride quality even worse) or install a noisier exhaust (which will likely impair performance a little).
Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Wow thanks for the detailed replied. The information provided is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to go for it to be honest. I'm curious, I was trying to do some more research on the 2010 model and couldn't find any figures for 0-62 times. If it's less then 6 seconds then I'm sold. I know it's such a silly reason but I do tend to enjoy 0-62 rushes and runs. Well I wouldn't really touch performance if the 0-62 time was less then 6 seconds because I mean that's more than enough power for an SUV. I'd probably go for more cosmetic mods, a performance exhaust system and maybe an air intake. ECU remap/upgrade wouldn't really be needed if this baby is as powerful as I'm hoping it is. Possibly some new brakes for better stopping power (I have a heavy foot at times - I blame my Porsche for that).

Could anyone possibly provide some 0-62 times for the 2010 model? (ML500 - the 5.0 not the north american 5.5).
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by JoePistone
Could anyone possibly provide some 0-62 times for the 2010 model? (ML500 - the 5.0 not the north american 5.5).
Joe: Both models have the same 5.46 liter v8 engine that generates 382 HP and 391 lb-ft of torque. (Although I believe Mercedes rating is a little conservative.) The only difference is that outside North America it is designated 500 -- to be consistent with the previous model -- rather than 550.

Car & Driver tested the 2008 ML550 at 5.4 seconds to 60, with a 14.0 second quarter mile @ 100 mph. Not too shabby for 2-1/2 tons of not particularly aerodynamic vehicle!

I'm not sure whether the 2012 model gets the new twin turbo engine or not, but if it does, it is even more powerful.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM

thanks for the clarification, you have been very helpful and i'm ever so grateful...i've gone to the person who has the used Merc Cars.

It's actually a 2011 that caught my eye than still has less than 2,000 miles on it. I don't know how he got a hold of it so quickly but he did and I'm really thinking of buying it.

Anyways, here are some pics...

(follow the link to see the gallery ... I'm sorry I took the photos with a Camera phone and it was alot darker than it looks. God bless LED flash).

*fingers crossed in hope that link works*

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...hQE&feat=email
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 ML350
thanks for the clarification, you have been very helpful and i'm ever so grateful...i've gone to the person who has the used Merc Cars.

It's actually a 2011 that caught my eye than still has less than 2,000 miles on it. I don't know how he got a hold of it so quickly but he did and I'm really thinking of buying it.

Anyways, here are some pics...

(follow the link to see the gallery ... I'm sorry I took the photos with a Camera phone and it was alot darker than it looks. God bless LED flash).

*fingers crossed in hope that link works*

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...hQE&feat=email

Looks like he's got some nice 21" AMG wheels on the ML350?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
I got a 2008 recently and in hindsight, I think the 2009 model would've been better.

Cosmetically, you get the facelift model, polished roof bars and the LED tails (with the lighting package) that makes the ML550 look much newer than the 2008 models. Not to mention the 2009 models will likely have 2 years of warranty left.

If you don't plan on driving it forever, then I agree with roadrutz in regard to the air suspension (if you can find it)... if you plan on driving it to the ground, forget it, the repairs will be hella expensive in the future.

The regular spring suspension in my 2008 ML550 seems a bit unrefined. Sometimes I feel it a bit floaty and at other times, it seems too harsh. The body roll is pretty evident too.... mind you I'm coming from a 04 BMW330 coupe and a 04 mazdaspeed protege that I used to throw around corners...

That said, its still a brilliant and versatile SUV. Not too many aftermarket parts out there to tempt you, so you won't need to budget too much for customization

Edit: lol.. I didn't see the post that you found one already.. it looks great and fully fully loaded! Go for it!

Last edited by B-tsai; 06-15-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 AM

It's a 500, and to be fully honest I don't know much about Merc. I've always been a constant on VW fourms and Porsche Forums as I have done some work on my Porsche and my dads VW Golf. Nothing special on the Golf, mainly just maintenance and servicing for his 2004 2.0 Golf. I've never really been into Mercedes because I've usually been into learning about the cars we've had at home over the years.

(BMW, Porsche, Nissan, VW). I convinced my mom to dump her 99' 728 i series and purschase a merc with me so a) we can bargain for a better price and b) the BMW has given us so many problems over the years that I don't like my mom who is (considerably older now) driving such an unreliable car. The Beemer breaks down every month or two, granted it's something simple but it becomes such a hassle for a lady for her age. Also, considering where we live the temperature gets up to 50-60 degrees centigrade in the hottest times of summer. Which is not something I want my mom to be stuck in. We have taken the A/C to the service and I have tried to fix it myself but no one seems to know what exactly is wrong with it. We should have traded it in when we first had problems after buying it but we figured we could pull out all the kinks...and then we regret it.

She's eyeing a used S350 if anyone is interested in knowing.

Anyways, back to the ML500. I'm going to get the final word by Sunday whether or not I'll pick it up. Waiting for my mom to decide if she wants the S series and waiting on some financial issues to be settled. If I pick it up, you guys will be the first to know. I browsed through several MB forums, and this seemed to be the nicest/most informative out of them all. Roadrutz proved this to me through this post. My first one as a member of this board and within the same day he's been extremely helpful and detailed! My hat's off to you sir.

I'm really intrigued as this is my first merc every, and it's basically brand new so I'm considering this to be my "first brand new car". Literally, no joke. It's not even run up 2,000miles yet.

Ahhhh, I'm very hopeful for this baby.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Really impressed, out of all the forums I've been on in my life (several porsche and vw forums) this has got to be the nicest/most prompt in replies forum I have seen. The other forums may be more prompt at times but they are usually filled with people replying to "show off" or "put you down". I'm happy I've registered here.

I hope I'll pick this baby up, but if not I'll still keep posted on here as I quite enjoy the information up on this board.

About aftermarket parts, I'm not really tooooo bothered. I sometimes do get tempted. My friend has an EVOX and he's done a bunch of little upgrades considering performance and it's always great to hear that baby purr and run. His exhaust system is of Perrin I believe.

I love this ML because when I started it up, I did not get that huge V8 Roar I was expecting, but when I stomped my foot down to hear the engine I was happy with what I heard.

It is a very classy / sporty SUV. The exhaust is relatively quiet, but if you're in such a beauty the exhaust is not really what you what to hear. Maybe cause I had the door closed and I heard the cabins are made to be pretty quiet (which is a major plus for me in an SUV).
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 AM

Another question I seemed to have forgotten...

I have noticed that there was a setting for "sport" and "comfort" and a bunch of other buttons that looked like goodies.

To my understanding the Airmatic suspension is the ability to switch between sport and comfort. Is my understanding correct or is there more to the Airmatic suspension?

Also, does airmatic actually lower and higher the ML's suspension upon settings or is it only to tighten the feel or the suspension?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM

'09 ML550
Another question I seemed to have forgotten...

I have noticed that there was a setting for "sport" and "comfort" and a bunch of other buttons that looked like goodies.

To my understanding the Airmatic suspension is the ability to switch between sport and comfort. Is my understanding correct or is there more to the Airmatic suspension?

Also, does airmatic actually lower and higher the ML's suspension upon settings or is it only to tighten the feel or the suspension?
Yes, that button means the vehicle does have Airmatic. And yes, when you select Sport it lowers the vehicle by a little less than an inch as well as firming up the ride. Comfort does the opposite. By the way, even in Normal mode the suspension still auto-adjusts if you suddenly decide to make like Michael Schumacher. Selecting Sport just locks it into that setting.

Airmatic is a totally different suspension system from normal. There are no springs, just bags that fill with air. The shocks are different, too, being adjustable for stiffness both automatically and by using that button.

That one you are looking at appears to be loaded, judging from the fact that it has the AMG body package and wheels, wood steering wheel, running boards, and rear seat entertainment system. I can't see whether or not it has the seat cooling option, but I can't imagine anybody in Kuwait ordering such a vehicle loaded but without that feature. Other than color and the "500" badge, it looks identical to mine.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks road! You've been great and extremely helpful! I'll keep you posted on what happens. Got any pics up of your beast that I could take a look at?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
Since ML was facelifted in 2009, don't go for 2008.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I know you're int in the newer model, but we have our ml500 new in 07 with no problems at all. Great suv. Tows jetskis and totes the fam around in style.

GL.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by roadrutz
Joe: Both models have the same 5.46 liter v8 engine that generates 382 HP and 391 lb-ft of torque. (Although I believe Mercedes rating is a little conservative.) The only difference is that outside North America it is designated 500 -- to be consistent with the previous model -- rather than 550.

Car & Driver tested the 2008 ML550 at 5.4 seconds to 60, with a 14.0 second quarter mile @ 100 mph. Not too shabby for 2-1/2 tons of not particularly aerodynamic vehicle!

I'm not sure whether the 2012 model gets the new twin turbo engine or not, but if it does, it is even more powerful.
It doesn't. It retains the 5.5 V8. Good -- I won't be tempted to trade...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by roadrutz
It doesn't. It retains the 5.5 V8. Good -- I won't be tempted to trade...
you truly have made my day...there have been some delays with payment at work...

I won't know if I can afford it yet due to my comission not being laid down yet. I'd rather throw a huge down payment down so I don't have to pay alot more than I should.

Problem is someone else is chasing this baby and I don't know how much more they're going to hold it out for me. I should know by tomorrow if the commission will be paid in full. (I'm a consultant so we get consulting fees and then our commissions - thing is I'm working this project with another consultant so our consulting fee will be split three ways. % for me, % for him and the rest to the company...therefore, we just need to fine tune the dates. It's supposed to be tomorrow but here, you can never be too sure - too many complications). I'll let you guys know, I'm supposed to receive word on my payments tonight or tomorrow. If the ML500 is still available and I can get it. I'll definitely let you guys know.

Ohhh I'm so nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time. I've been eyeing this baby out for ages. My alternative choices of SUVs just don't seem to tickle my fancy, well not as much as this ML. I get everything in one package with this baby.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM

04 sl 500, 07 ml 320 cdi
yes the new ml w 166 will obviously have the new 4.7 liter v8 twin turbo...the old 5.5 v8 is about to go out of production
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by Stesl
yes the new ml w 166 will obviously have the new 4.7 liter v8 twin turbo...the old 5.5 v8 is about to go out of production
Not according to Mercedes website. They show the 2012 ML550 with the 5.5L engine.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM

2011 ML550 Blk/blk, P02, Ltr Pkg, Lght Pkg
I just purchased the 2011 ML550. The engine power is breathtaking. And with the paired transmission, the car is fantastic.

But, I agree with roadrutz that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

Personally, I think that the electric & electronic parts need major improvement work. (I'm doing my best to adapt to the car's 18th Century style technology. Like the outdated Command system, cigarette lighters with power left ON when locking/leaving the car, the Day Time Running lights - which if are ON in the car's computer control - turn on the lights when opening any car door or washing the windshield with the car power off, regardless of the Light Switch Selector position, etc.)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by troby
I just purchased the 2011 ML550. The engine power is breathtaking. And with the paired transmission, the car is fantastic.

But, I agree with roadrutz that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

Personally, I think that the electric & electronic parts need major improvement work. (I'm doing my best to adapt to the car's 18th Century style technology. Like the outdated Command system, cigarette lighters with power left ON when locking/leaving the car, the Day Time Running lights - which if are ON in the car's computer control - turn on the lights when opening any car door or washing the windshield with the car power off, regardless of the Light Switch Selector position, etc.)
Huh? Washing the windshield? Sorry -- don't understand.

I agree about Comand. I believe the cigarette lighter sockets power down automatically after about 20 minutes, although I wouldn't swear to it as I have never used them. DRLs in the US can be switched on or off by the dealer; in Canada and some European countries they are mandatory.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Dear roadrutz,

Washing the windshield => the process of cleaning the glass by spraying a Glass Cleaner product, and wiping it with a towel (do not want to sound unpolite, but I like a clean windshield.)

The owner manual specifies that the cigarette lighter sockets do power down automatically, but not after 20 min, and when the battery is almost depleated, to allow it to start the car. (Please do not ask why do I need this feature, because I would feel ashamed to admit that I consider the 'crime' of installing a friendly GARMIN on the ML! and streaming internet radio from iPhone with a FM transmitter.)

DRLs can be switched on or off using the COMMAND system by the car owner, which it is not difficult, but is not the same easy procedure of turning a switch ON/OFF.

The LIGHTS selector switch of the car has the following positions:[1] & [2] for standing lights; [3] position "0" - Lights Off / DRL; [4] "AUTO" position - Automatic headlamp mode / DRL; ... ;[5] ;[6]; [7]; [8];
MY PERSONAL FRUSTRATION is that when the DRL are ON in the COMMAND system, settings [3] and [4] duplicate same function and the DRL are turned ON when you touch the car, without starting the engine. If [3] or "0" would disable/ turn off DRL, you could do anything around the car. And once you drive, you can put the light switch/selector in [4] position where you could have the DRL during day time, and Low-Beam during night time. Such setting, which I consider normal, would offer an easy way to turn off DRL when they are not needed.

Thank you for your patience and consideration. I am aware that I am on a 'learning curve', and that I should deal with it.

Respectfully.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by troby
Dear roadrutz,

Washing the windshield => the process of cleaning the glass by spraying a Glass Cleaner product, and wiping it with a towel (do not want to sound unpolite, but I like a clean windshield.)
Oh, hey, I often wondered what that meant. Thanks for the clarification.

So.... your DRLs come on when you wash the windshield with the ignition off? That's a German convenience feature. It is in case you are trying to spray Glass Cleaner (whatever that is) in the dark. You wouldn't want to get any Glass Cleaner on the paint, would you, as the paint is not glass. See, "paint" is colored stuff that gets sprayed on the metal parts of the vehicle when they build it, but "glass" is transparent stuff that they use to fill up all the big holes around the vehicle so that people can see you looking good in the driver's seat.

OK, enough. I still don't understand your remark about lights and windshield washing. Your original sentence, as written is hard to follow.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Dear roadrutz,

Washing comment point taken, and i guess - deserved.

DRL grief: The car LIGHT switch selector does not give the option to turn OFF the DRL. They are always ON once you unlock the car. ( the long details about the Light Switch positions, probably made the comment/complaint boring and confusing - Sorry).