MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164-72/)
-   -   ML350 Gear Shifter Came Off! (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/444132-ml350-gear-shifter-came-off.html)

DashCA 04-19-2012 11:02 AM

ML350 Gear Shifter Came Off!

Hi,

We have a 2010 ML350 and in the middle of shifting from park to reverse and into drive, the Gear Shifter came off and made it impossible to move the car back into park. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it?!?! MB is claiming that we caused the damage so the warranty does not cover the problem.

We also have an E-Class that, like the ML, has the gear shift behind the steering wheel (as opposed to in the middle console) and have never had any problems. Can you imagine having the shifter come apart while driving?

The whole thing is so incredible I can't articulate it correctly. Would appreciate any insight/advice/known defect or any guidance at all.

Thanks in advance.

dgiturbo 04-19-2012 07:37 PM

Your the first I have ever heard about in any vehicle. I would guess if you tried to shift it like an older GM automatic with the column shifter, eventually it could break. If they are claiming abuse, they probably are looking at areas where the retainers broke and can see damage. If that's the case, it's on you my friend.
If you can convince them that it was material fatigue or some other defect, then you got them.
By the way, if you switch off and remove the key, the vehicle will go to park by itself.
Keep us posted.

DashCA 04-19-2012 08:25 PM

Shift normally, the way it was intended to be shifted. Not a lot of force and not like an old buick...

Their argument was that, "if it came off, it means that you were shifting too hard." But when asked about the potential for it to be defected, they just shrugged it off. Very frustrating.

MAmendola 04-19-2012 08:39 PM

Sorry to hear about this issue. I am on my second ML. Had an 06 and currently have an 09. Never experienced this issue or even a hint of the shifter feeling as though it is going to fall apart. I do remember the sales person mentioning you only need slight pressure to engage. Not saying you are exerting a lot of force, just mentioning it.

I am sure if others are experiencing this more would be on this forum complaining. keep us posted

VAGemini 01-24-2013 01:12 PM

ML350 Gear Shift came off

This just happened to me! Barely an inch of snow and trying to get out of my driveway and the wheels spun. I was trying to switch gears just lightly tapped on the lever and it came off. It is barely hanging by what feels like a thread inside the housing. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.

Cyber GS 01-24-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by VAGemini (Post 5518170)
This just happened to me! Barely an inch of snow and trying to get out of my driveway and the wheels spun. I was trying to switch gears just lightly tapped on the lever and it came off. It is barely hanging by what feels like a thread inside the housing. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.

This is incredible, I wonder if this has occurred on any other Benz models that have the same type of shifter.

iankayem 01-25-2013 04:08 AM

If you are still under warranty, and you are sure it never got abused (even accidentally), then when they say you have to pay, make sure you keep the broken part.

Take that part to an engineer or metallurgist for a report (they charge like lawyers) and then try the small claims tribunal or equivalent in your neighborhood.

chikoo 01-28-2013 09:32 AM

Pictures?

Cyber GS 01-28-2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by chikoo (Post 5522919)
Pictures?

Yeah, I would also like to see what it looks like if possible.

DC-IT 01-28-2013 06:36 PM

OP have you called M-B to ask it be fixed under warranty?
You could take a video of it and post on YouTube if M-B refused to fix!
It's likely metal fatigue/defect.

VAGemini 03-08-2013 01:29 PM

meant to respond sooner. When I finally got to the dealer (had to wait for the weekend due to ice) I got the sense they had seen this before. They replaced the steering column at no charge - I was due for service and that is all I paid for much to my relief. FYI....forgot to mention this was a 2009 ML350. One of the service agents said he recalled seeing this on an E class as well. Car went in at around 4:00pm on a Monday and they had it back to me by noon the next day. No accusations of hitting the lever to hard,

medic 03-09-2013 11:33 AM

What are you all doing in you MBs??? :eek: I am jealous :bow:

Grau E350 03-12-2013 01:33 AM

I remember another member of MBWorld that had the same issue. The dealer blamed him for abuse. It was either an M-Class or E-Class.

If this is true, someone owes that guy an apology.

Cyber GS 03-12-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by medic (Post 5572662)
What are you all doing in you MBs??? :eek: I am jealous :bow:

^^Funny Stuff^^ :rolf:

sheepdog8 03-12-2013 09:14 PM

I had to explain to my wife how the shifter works & to be very gentle, no force needed. (Whenever she decides to borrow it to fill with large things she bought I didn't know about...)

VAGemini 03-15-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grau E350 (Post 5575363)
I remember another member of MBWorld that had the same issue. The dealer blamed him for abuse. It was either an M-Class or E-Class.

If this is true, someone owes that guy an apology.

Which is why I posted the results of my trip to the dealer. I hope he sees the thread and lets the dealer know because you are correct they owe hime not only an apology but some cash. As I recall it was a very expensive repair - which I was really concerned about.

Serendipity1 11-23-2013 02:07 PM

This just happened on my 2008 GL320 cdi. I just went to shift to reverse and it just snapped. I'm out of warranty and was hoping to find out the cost of repair and what parts need to be replaced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kenleepearl 11-24-2013 11:00 PM

it happened on the 2008 ML350 that the previous owner of the car I brought had. (the car is being delivered to me on 12/2 when we finalize the sale.) Not an uncommon problem on the 2nd Gen. ML's along with the balance shaft issues mainly on 2006-2007, transmission valve body issues on the 7 speed, front diff problems, steering wheel rack and pump problems, along with water leaks on some 2nd gens. I got a very good deal price wise, so I'll take my chances-BUT the 2006-2011 maintenance and repair wise if one doesn't have a good warranty, is NOT for the financially fainthearted.

LloydGordon 02-27-2018 03:43 AM

My Gear shift Leave Broke Off, Too!

DASHCA and VAGami - Hey you guys - I have a 2011 E 350 wagon, and on Oct. 32, 22015, while executing a 3-point turn, as I attempted to shift from Drive into Reverse, the gear shift lever broke completely off and stranded me in park, blocking 2 1/2 lanes of traffic. I towed my car into Beverly Hills MB where the service writer told me he had never seen or heard of that ever happening. My car was on extended warranty (I bought it used) but they replaced the lever and did not charge me anything.

See Pix below:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...47f69e3538.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f245ef2fc3.jpg
happening. My car was on extended warranty (I bought it used) but they replaced the lever and did not charge me anything.

NopeaNope 12-30-2020 07:14 PM

I made an account just to reply to this. I have a 2006 ML350 and her gear shift snapped right off recently. We weren't even touching it, we were driving, and bloop it snapped off, falling into the floorboard. Does anyone have a diagram or a how-to on how to fix this? At this age, it's not really worth spending a ton of money on but it otherwise drives fine so I being a cheap ass, do not want to buy another car just because this snapped off. It still shifts if I stick the shifter back into place but the parking button does not work now. Thankfully it automatically goes into park when you turn the car off but I'd still like that to work, ya know?

Maj. Dundee 12-31-2020 07:25 AM

7 Attachment(s)
The part alone is approx. $175 (164 540 35 45) and the labor is quite extensive.