M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Power Steering+Transmission Inoperable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Power Steering+Transmission Inoperable

Today, I experienced quite a scary incident short of an accident.

As I was turning into a parkade at a major intersection, the vehicle lost its power steering. Luckily, I was going slowly and managed to brake in time or else I would've hit the lamppost. When I put the car into park, a red battery appeared on the instrument cluster and I turned off the car. There was some charred/burning smell outside the vehicle.

However, the vehicle was blocking the intersection and the mall security came out to put pylons around the vehicle. They told me to put the car in neutral and push the car over to the curb. When the car was in neutral, all the wheels were locked and even four people could not move the vehicle.

When the tow truck arrived, he tried to put the car in reverse but the transmission was inoperable.

The car is now in at the dealership being serviced, but they said they won't have a diagnostic until tomorrow.

I just recently had service B at the beginning of June but they said they needed to replace a belt which needed to be ordered. I told them I would be away from the last week of June to to the first week of July and asked whether I could still drive the vehicle until July. They said it would be fine.

However, a few weeks in, I heard some clanking and ticking sounds coming from behind the steering wheel column. I thought it was just a creaky suspension part and didn't call in. When I came back, the sound was definitely louder and I had planned to phone in after lunch today. It was right before entering the parkade when all this had happened.

What do you think happened and what repair costs should I expect? (My extended warrantee just ended in June)

Thanks