M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Swirl Motor & Intake Manifolds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2008 ML320CDI 4Matic, 2006 C350
Swirl Motor & Intake Manifolds

After stopping for an errand I noticed the check engine light on and a loss of power upon driving off. I have 57,000 miles on it.

I took the truck to my indie MB shop. They found that the right arm on the swirl motor had broken incapacitating the right bank air intake manifold linkage.

Upon removing both intake manifolds and turning them upside down we found that there was a build up of unburnt/burnt? diesel fuel/oil? residue inside the three air intake areas housing the butterfly valves. The build up was so severe that the linkage could not be moved. The shop owner surmised that when I had accelerated the torque of the swirl motor had broken the arm when it attempted to move the linkage. The left side bank was just as bad but was still movable.

The new linkage and swirl motor arms are still made of plastic/bakelite. Makes no sense as these parts are next to the turbo in the valley and the area gets very hot.

I do not baby this truck and have a K-D performance chip. It's on the freeway on a regular basis at 70-80 MPH and I use good quality diesel from either Hess or Shell.

Owner told me that because the MB dealer had the parts in stock they furnish these at least every three months so it's not uncommon. He also told me that given my driving habits there is nothing more I can do any differently to prevent this from happening again.

Two new air intake manifolds, swirl motor + parts and 16 hours of labor = $2,700.00.

Anyone else have this happen? Is there nothing that can be done?

Thanks,
Mike