M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Direct selector lever on steering column - ease of operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
Direct selector lever on steering column - ease of operation

Curious to know what others have to say about the operation of the Direct Selector Lever (Gear Selector Lever) on the steering column of the ML/GL.

When I first started looking through the windows of parked W164 MLs, I couldn't work out where the gear shift lever was and when I eventually came to realise that the gear selector was on the steering column, I was somewhat disappointed. How could an AWD vehicle of this size be equipped with what looked like a second indicator stalk for a gear lever? This set up left me with the impression at the time that the ML was a soft SUV.

Having owned an ML for a year now I would say that my first impressions couldn't have been more off the mark. The Direct Selector Lever is perfectly placed, feels just right and most of all is fantastic to operate. I love how the lever is operated with a flick of the finger and how quick and easy it is to go from say Park to Drive. Best of all you don't have to look down to see what you’re doing as all there is to the system is an upward or downward flick of the lever or a press on the button at the end of the stalk.

A friend of mine has a new Dodge Ram 3.0 litre V6 diesel with the gear selector dial on the dash. First of all you have to reach forwards for the dial and then turn the dial through a set sequence of dial positions to select the desired position. The ergonomics in this case certainly not as good as that of the Direct Selector Lever on the ML.

Our second car has the traditional automatic gear lever in the traditional position between the front seats. Give me the gear selector by the steering wheel as it is on the ML any time.