M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Check Engine Light Coming on in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Check Engine Light Coming on in Cold Weather

Hey All,

I just recently purchased a used 2008 ML350.
The car is in pristine condition inside and out, seems to have just about every upgrade on it, the mileage was under what it should be for the year, and the c
CarFax came up clean showing all service records and a clean history.

I have had the car now for exactly 30 days, and I have put just about 4k miles on it since I got it. I have done four road trips, and each trip there was cold weather. It seems that every time I start the car and it is 40 degrees or colder out the check engine light will come on. I had it checked and it came back saying the Thermostat was sticking, not allowing the coolant to warm up fast enough. So I had the dealer put on a new thermostat, they also put on a new belt. So I took off on a 1200 mile trip to the North Georgia mountains. It ran great on the drive up, even in the 30 degree weather. But the next morning it was in the 20's and immediately after I started the car, the Check Engine light came back on. Then it told me to check coolant level, then it told me to check oil on next refueling. The oil and coolant levels are fine, and it has a brand new thermostat. The car ran fine, but it kept giving me those messages. I repeatedly checked the levels of oil and coolant and I made the 600 mile trip back to South Florida.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Is this normal?
Whoever owned this car before me definitely took care of it cosmetically. I cannot imagine someone who put that much attention to detail on appearance would have not done so mechanically. Plus it had all service reports right on time. The dash tells me it will need scheduled maintenance in 9k more miles. Should I just have the maintenance done now instead of waiting those 9k miles?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
Take it back to the dealer---you have a 12 month warranty on the possible faulty thermostat!!