M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife's 2009 ML350 4Matic
Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix

Hey all. My wife has a 2009 ML350 4Matic and the rear brake light warning light kept coming on. I know many of us have had this problem and I realize there are a few fixes out there on the web but I wanted to add my 2 cents and hopefully save you more than that! I changed the bulb a couple of times and realized it wasn't a bulb issue. I removed the housing and there appeared to be a compromised or burnt area on the aluminum contact surface for the bulb. It is the small dark area in the photo in the shape of a spade.. I took a small piece of aluminum foil from the kitchen and wrapped it over the area, re-installed the bulb. Good as new and free of charge. I then put a little silicone over the joint where the lamp cover seats thinking perhaps some water had seeped in causing the damage. Just a theory. Anyhow, hope it helps.
For whatever reason, when I upload the photos, they are incorrectly rotated just FYI....
Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-1.jpg   Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-2.jpg   Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-3.jpg   Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-4.jpg   Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-5.jpg  

Rear Brake Light Warning DIY Fix-ml-bulb-6.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
thanks for posting that

do the 2009 have the rear taillights that leak also? was hoping mercedes had finally solved that issue
The following users liked this post:
dpc004 (05-16-2016)