M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Rougher than normal ride on w164 - shocks bad?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 ML350 4MATIC
Exclamation Rougher than normal ride on w164 - shocks bad?

The regular way to test shocks is the bounce test and the visual check for leaks.

But can't a shock go bad the other way as well - that it doesn't make the car bouncy, but the suspension overly hard?

I am considering a 2010 ML350 with 153k miles - not freeway miles, but all driven in Los Angeles.

I felt that particularly the front passenger seat feels every little nook and cranny on the road. The drivers seat feels less.

Could it be that the front right strut is bad?

How long do shocks/struts last before they need replacement, and which is the best brand to give a smooth suspension?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by Benzdom
The regular way to test shocks is the bounce test and the visual check for leaks.

But can't a shock go bad the other way as well - that it doesn't make the car bouncy, but the suspension overly hard?

I am considering a 2010 ML350 with 153k miles - not freeway miles, but all driven in Los Angeles.

I felt that particularly the front passenger seat feels every little nook and cranny on the road. The drivers seat feels less.

Could it be that the front right strut is bad?

How long do shocks/struts last before they need replacement, and which is the best brand to give a smooth suspension?

Thanks!
The ride on these cars is pretty plush and the shocks on these are not particularly great - they are Bilsteins (unless you have the Airmatic suspension) and are known to go out between 70,000 and 100,000 miles. Unless the owner has the tires overinflated, which would cause a harsh ride, in all likelihood the shocks are shot.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mrobinso
The ride on these cars is pretty plush and the shocks on these are not particularly great - they are Bilsteins (unless you have the Airmatic suspension) and are known to go out between 70,000 and 100,000 miles. Unless the owner has the tires overinflated, which would cause a harsh ride, in all likelihood the shocks are shot.
Thanks mrobinso!

This isn't yet my car - but I intend to buy it. It's only one year away from your own 2011 ML350!

It's particularly the passenger front right seat that gets the hardest ride.

The shocks don't leak. The suspension passed the pre-purchase inspection, but I called the mechanic later with my concerns over the ride, especially stating the fact that the ride is rougher on one side of the car than on the other.

Looks like shocks can also go bad if they don't leak? Do they get "stuck" over time or not move freely?

I read one online report where an F150 driver always replaced the shocks when the ride started to get rough and that cured the issue.

Which shocks would you recommend for a great ride?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 PM

You bet. If this car has 150K miles on it I would say it likely needs new shocks almost without even test driving it due to the high mileage - and that is amplified since it has been driven mainly in the city. If the ride was comfortable I would say leave them alone but like I mentioned these shocks are known not to last very long. I don't know much about suspension replacement on this vehicle but generally I would try to find an OEM replacement.

Yes shocks can fail without outwardly leaking, definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if the shock is stuck because it failed internally.

Separately I would say check the air pressure on the tires. If they are over inflated that can cause a very harsh ride.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mrobinso
You bet. If this car has 150K miles on it I would say it likely needs new shocks almost without even test driving it due to the high mileage - and that is amplified since it has been driven mainly in the city. If the ride was comfortable I would say leave them alone but like I mentioned these shocks are known not to last very long. I don't know much about suspension replacement on this vehicle but generally I would try to find an OEM replacement.

Yes shocks can fail without outwardly leaking, definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if the shock is stuck because it failed internally.

Separately I would say check the air pressure on the tires. If they are over inflated that can cause a very harsh ride.
I will have the shocks checked. Usually people always speak of bouncy ride when shocks go bad, but I'm glad to confirm that they can go bad the other way as well and cause a harsh ride.

Do you know the best brand for shocks - or should I go OEM with Bilstein?

In regards to tire pressure:

He bought new tires (Dunlops - which are not that great of a brand), and tire shops for some unimaginable reason always put too much air into them.

Anyway, he's currently trying to pay off his lien, and I have to wait until he has done so and only then can buy the car.

Last edited by Benzdom; 05-25-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 ML 320 CDI
Shocks as with most of the suspension items are serviceable parts, they don't last indefinitely.
Same applies to the bushes, control arms etc. etc.

If a car has done over 100k miles and is on its original suspension, brake discs, clutch etc then common sense would suggest budgeting for replacing these items as and when they fail.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Benzdom
I will have the shocks checked. Usually people always speak of bouncy ride when shocks go bad, but I'm glad to confirm that they can go bad the other way as well and cause a harsh ride.

Do you know the best brand for shocks - or should I go OEM with Bilstein?

In regards to tire pressure:

He bought new tires (Dunlops - which are not that great of a brand), and tire shops for some unimaginable reason always put too much air into them.

Anyway, he's currently trying to pay off his lien, and I have to wait until he has done so and only then can buy the car.
Bilstein is actually the OEM brand so there you go. I usually check prices from the following websites www.pelicanparts.com / www.autohausaz.com / www.rmeuropean.com. I'll then cross shop the part numbers on Amazon, eBay, and Google to see if I can find them cheaper elsewhere - if not, PelicanParts or AutohausAZ are my favorites.

I would plan on replacing at least the front two shocks to cure your ride troubles.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:31 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Thanks for the tips.

I'm still not the owner of the car because the current owner fights to pay his lien back to get the title to actually be able to sell the car.

I have already shifted focus on doing a first rate paint job on the damaged rear bumper to fixing the suspension and maybe doing a paint job that doesn't ask for removing the bumper but still looks OK.

I have already scheduled a detailed review of the suspension to see what else might be bad to give such a rough ride.

Other than that the car has been treated with respect, and the interior looks surprisingly good for a car of that mileage.