M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

How good is the stock audio on the w164?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 ML350 4MATIC
How good is the stock audio on the w164?

I have my eyes set on a 2010 ML350 which I like.

It has the stock audio system, not the Harman Kardon upgrade.

Now I know Harman Kardon from home HiFi systems, where it has a great name.

Researching, the voices were mixed. Some said it sounded so much better, others, among which was a sound engineer, said it was all circus with lots of power and three-dimensional Logic-7 fun and less about the sound quality.

What's your take? Are you an audiophile?

I never play mp3, only CDs or lossless compressed files.

Do you think the audio in the ML is good - it really depends a lot on the speakers and how good the stereo presentation of the sound is to appear truthful and lively.

I'm not listening to house, hip-hop or other bass heavy music, but am more on the Jazz and classic side.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:16 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Cool

Harman Kardon beats stock audio by a mile. People who can't tell the difference should be visiting their doctor to check their hearing.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:38 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Of course it will sound very different with surround sound and more speakers.

What I was referring to was that some reviewers (who could articulate their views quite well) said, that looking at the actual sound quality they found the stock system sounding better.

I have not heard either of the two, I'm just listing results of a research.

On the other hand, there are many who think that insane bass and strong punch is good sound - and nothing could be farther from the truth. There are many bass-heavy sound systems out there that completely destroy any music that's not based on rhythm computers and loops.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
ML420 W164 (2009)
I've got the stock system, I think it sounds pretty good. It gives a clean and clear soundstage without being overly aggressive.

I've added the ipod connector to mine as I've got a 160GB ipod classic. This lives in the glovebox, for a whole jukebox of tunes on the move.

I can't say how inferior it is to the premium audio package, as I've not heard it. However, if the car you're looking at ticks every other box then?
Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM

What most people don't understand is that power, subwoofers, etc. are not there to blow your windows out. That's for pathetic fools. To truly reproduce great music correctly you need power, but only when necessary.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by texterted
I've got the stock system, I think it sounds pretty good. It gives a clean and clear soundstage without being overly aggressive.

I've added the ipod connector to mine as I've got a 160GB ipod classic. This lives in the glovebox, for a whole jukebox of tunes on the move.

I can't say how inferior it is to the premium audio package, as I've not heard it. However, if the car you're looking at ticks every other box then?
I have rented a lot of cars in the recent months. And rental cars have the worst audio - their stock system.

But I never rented Mercedes, just the usual rental brands: Hyundai, Ford, Nissan ... my ears were complaining.

Luckily, Mercedes Benz seems to put a decent system into their cars.

I like the car - so I won't let the audio be a deal breaker. Just have to check the suspension once more. I guess the shocks all have about 100 k miles on them and need to be replaced...
Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 AM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by flybd5
What most people don't understand is that power, subwoofers, etc. are not there to blow your windows out. That's for pathetic fools. To truly reproduce great music correctly you need power, but only when necessary.
There are systems for true audio experience, and there are systems for the blow-your-brains-out crowd.

From what I heard the stock audio seems to operate well to produce a good sound image.

I always felt that subwoofers are more for the house, techno, rap scene and they don't really have a function in Jazz and classical music.

I once had an Alpine system in a former car and I hated how it enhanced the bass and the rhythm section. It basically ruined anything soul, jazz, and classic.

I can't say if the Harman-Kardon system one of the show-off systems or if it is really great in picturing sound.

The only post that really described the Harman-Kardon in detail was from a sound engineer, and it was not favorable.

I have to withdraw judgement because I only heard the Harman-Kardon system for a minute or so - but I turned it off, because during test drives I listen to the car, not to music. But it seemed to have a very "roomy" and impressive staging of sound. Can't tell if the detail and energy was good as I never listened to my own music on this system.

I hoped there would be more of a discussion, people who loves the Harman and those critical would tell their sides, but it looks like message boards are getting a bit sleepy these days...
Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Originally Posted by Benzdom
I have my eyes set on a 2010 ML350 which I like.

It has the stock audio system, not the Harman Kardon upgrade.

Now I know Harman Kardon from home HiFi systems, where it has a great name.

Researching, the voices were mixed. Some said it sounded so much better, others, among which was a sound engineer, said it was all circus with lots of power and three-dimensional Logic-7 fun and less about the sound quality.

What's your take? Are you an audiophile?

I never play mp3, only CDs or lossless compressed files.

Do you think the audio in the ML is good - it really depends a lot on the speakers and how good the stereo presentation of the sound is to appear truthful and lively.

I'm not listening to house, hip-hop or other bass heavy music, but am more on the Jazz and classic side.

I have the HK system in my ML and the sound is fantastic. I have ridden in many with the stock system and there is no comparison. It definitely does loud, but also accuracy and realism. The drivers seem to be nicely matched to the power in their ability to reproduce what they're fed.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Euler
I have the HK system in my ML and the sound is fantastic. I have ridden in many with the stock system and there is no comparison. It definitely does loud, but also accuracy and realism. The drivers seem to be nicely matched to the power in their ability to reproduce what they're fed.
Well the car I favor doesn't have it.

A second car I have my eyes on has it, but it has a shabby interior and there are other factors.

So I'll make do with the stock system - and make up for it by playing only prime sources: CDs. It has a six-CD-changer in the glove compartment. Absolutely no bluetooth for its horrible signal and maybe I can plug in my iPhone and play my Apple Lossless compressed files (haven't read the manual yet)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM

2010 ML350 4MATIC
I have not yet received a tip on how to upgrade the stock system.

Comments appreciated!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ml320

Comments appreciated!
My 2010 c350 had the HK System and I left it alone .
I just got an 09 ml320 with the base sound system on Saturday and it's Monday and it's not in the driveway. It's at the audio shop.
The base system sounds bad to me. Cymbals sound like paper and the bass is single note droning.
I chose a pair of German Helix components for the front and another pair for the rear . 2 x 10 inch fosgates and found an amp that fits in the first aid kit cubby in the cargo area drivers side. It will be done late tommorow
Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 ML500 #4JGBB75E45A047014, 2005 CLK500 WDBTK75G25T052675, 2004 e500 4matic #WDBUF83J54X123761
Harman Kardon Upgrade

Hi All,
I just purchased a '06 ML500 and love it. It's loaded with lots of good options except it has the standard radio with the Sirius option #536 and Nav option #530. Has anyone done a swap to the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system from the stock system? I looked at eBay and salvage yards, the speakers and amps are not so expensive. Does anyone have a list of the components needed to do the swap? Is it even possible to do i.e. the dealer told me that it was NOT as the wire harness is different. I think I read somewhere it has fiber optic wiring, which would complicate this if accurate.

Thanks Scott
Old 04-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by scourchaine
Hi All,
I just purchased a '06 ML500 and love it. It's loaded with lots of good options except it has the standard radio with the Sirius option #536 and Nav option #530. Has anyone done a swap to the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system from the stock system? I looked at eBay and salvage yards, the speakers and amps are not so expensive. Does anyone have a list of the components needed to do the swap? Is it even possible to do i.e. the dealer told me that it was NOT as the wire harness is different. I think I read somewhere it has fiber optic wiring, which would complicate this if accurate.

Thanks Scott
Harman Kardon system is completely different. Trying to retrofit your car to that will be a huge undertaking. Personally, I think you're better off heading to a good car audio shop and discussing your options with them.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster

Comments appreciated!

did you ever find a “tip” on how to? Be awesome to kind of get a little bit more mid range in space I think the tweeters I’ll good let me know if you found anything