M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Could use your help for my R350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
Could use your help for my R350

Hi,

I know this is the M forums, but I know that the 350 engine/transmission are the same as that in the R350, so i'm posting it here as well hoping that one of you might be able to help me.

We have a 2008 R350 which has 58k miles on it. I just did the following to it and have started to have severe transmission problems and I have no idea what I did wrong.

1) I replaced the cabin filter
2) I replaced the air filters
3) I replaced the engine oil / filter with 8.5 quarts of M1 0w40
4) I replaced the auxiliary battery
5) I put a gas additive to clean the injectors
6) I reset the transmission learning (hold gas pedal down method)
7) I has an alignment done at Pep boys
8) I rotated my tires (one of the two front tires has 3/32nd on it while the other has 9/32nd on it).

Now, for some odd reason, my transmission is going crazy.

The symptoms are:
1) When I come to a stop i hear a clunk and a surge forward at speeds of < 30 mph. I noticed this for the first time after doing the oil change and before the transmission adaptation reset.
2) After two more short trips (<1 mile each), my 1st to 2nd is slipping! I didn't want to let it rev too high, so I used the paddle shifters to shift forward. Since then, the transmission is clunking around like crazy.

It seems as the transmission is now shot completely as i've only driven 3 miles since doing all these services. It drove perfectly fine yesterday for 30+ miles of city driving.

Anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong? I followed the DIY oil change instructions which was pretty straight forward.

++ a recent update:
Update: I got a CEL while driving around some more. I took it to auto zone and the OBD2 came out with the following:

P0170 and P0173 which they're saying is the Mass flow air sensor.

Did I screw up the air filter install? How can this affect the transmission, or are the two completely unrelated?

I remember one thing which is that when I put the air filter cover back on, the metal clamp on the rear left came off and fell inside the engine bay. I couldn't find it on the floor so couldn't get it back on. Do you think this could be it?

Please help!

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You are on the wrong forum.

https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w251-70/
Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Take the car to an independent Mercedes repair shop or otherwise the dealer (worst case) and have them scan it with STAR which will pull up transmission codes you can't pull yourself with an OBD II. You might be lucky and it could be something relatively simple like a bad solenoid. Trying to diagnoise trans issues yourself is likely going to be extremely difficult without getting those special Mercedes codes read. Good luck! Really sucks for that to happen at only 58K miles!