M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML350 bluetec check engine then cold "no start"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ml350 bluetec
ML350 bluetec check engine then cold "no start"

No start from -10 F on 2010 ml bluetec.
Glow plugs should be good as 3 replaced this past year. Battery healthy and car cranks.
While on a 6 hour drive prior to the No start issue 20 gallons fuel added.
50miles in to driving after fuel fill the "check engine" came on and vehicle lost power which i assume meant 'limp home mode". Temps at this time -5 F.
i added a few ounces diesel kleen anti gel.
After another 40 miles power was restored but check engine light remained illuminated.
next day went to start and no go. It started briefly then died. Repeated cranking and no go.

battery is on trickle charge and i think i am going to try heating the fuel filter with a hair dryer as i am guessing crap fuel and gelling. Failing that i will have a tow truck put it in a garage to warm up....I am 330 miles from my mechanic and 200 miles from MB dealer/service.
Any thoughts.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:52 AM

2010 ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by Doug Hoad
No start from -10 F on 2010 ml bluetec.
Glow plugs should be good as 3 replaced this past year. Battery healthy and car cranks.
While on a 6 hour drive prior to the No start issue 20 gallons fuel added.
50miles in to driving after fuel fill the "check engine" came on and vehicle lost power which i assume meant 'limp home mode". Temps at this time -5 F.
i added a few ounces diesel kleen anti gel.
After another 40 miles power was restored but check engine light remained illuminated.
next day went to start and no go. It started briefly then died. Repeated cranking and no go.

battery is on trickle charge and i think i am going to try heating the fuel filter with a hair dryer as i am guessing crap fuel and gelling. Failing that i will have a tow truck put it in a garage to warm up....I am 330 miles from my mechanic and 200 miles from MB dealer/service.
Any thoughts.
i forgot to add that the oil cooler seals and turbo oil seals had been replaced 1000 miles prior.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM

E350 CDI
Success

Vehicle started after cranking repeatedly. It ran very rough for a minute. No power and fuel pump sounds much louder than typical.
The vehicle is sitting in warm garage now.
Fingers crossed that it survives 330 miles to get us home.
check engine is still illuminated in dash....
Old 01-02-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Without any codes it's really impossible to make sense of any of this. It's quite possible that a number of things are going on here at the same time.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by Doug Hoad
i forgot to add that the oil cooler seals and turbo oil seals had been replaced 1000 miles prior.
You need to either buy a scanner than understands MB codes, or you need to take it to someone who will read the computer and have it tell you what it thinks is wrong.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:04 PM

E350 CDI
Originally Posted by flybd5
You need to either buy a scanner than understands MB codes, or you need to take it to someone who will read the computer and have it tell you what it thinks is wrong.

Thanks for the advice on codes and I will get them checked asap.
The bluetec has been operating as normal since getting the antigel mixed with diesel. Temps remain very cold in this area so it points to it being a fuel issue.
The noisey fuel pump is no longer noisey and full power is restored. Car starts immediately after glow plug interval.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
You should still get the codes read. The computer will store those codes from previous faults until you clear them out and it may help you nail down the reason (even though it does sound like it was temperature related) and help you avoid the issue in the future. That said, i would be surprised if the supplier from whom you are purchasing your diesel fuel was not already adding anti-gel additive(s) to their tanks. It's not like this doesn't happen to other people in weather like that. I also wonder if anyone makes aftermarket fuel tank heaters for diesel MB cars...