M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Schrader Valve on Airmatic Suspensions

Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 320 CDI w/ Offroad Package
Schrader Valve on Airmatic Suspensions

Just thought I'd share my experience with my latest modification. First of all, Hello from the Dominican Republic, this is my first thread and I do hope you enjoy. Some background, I'm the only person in my country that offroads in a Mercedes, let alone an ML. I have 33" tires on my vehicle using the 2006 17" rims with 15mm spacers and thats the only mod I'd done until recently. Been doing this for a year now and realized that I don't want my airmatic suspension (Offroad package) to keep adjusting my ride height as I go along so I placed a switch between the 2 blades of the fuse and now I can turn off my air ride when I go into the mud. I finished the second mod to the Airmatic system to day, it's actually a bandaid for those who need to get their ride height back to working conditions while waiting for parts.

I fixed a Schrader valve (regular tire valve) onto my airmatic suspension and raised the car to the standard level

Step one, buy a motocross tire tube with a long valve

Step 2, cut off the valve at the base.

Step 3 use some Teflon tape for the thread and insert into where the hose goes.

Step 4 inflate to 125 PSI

You're done my ride is now fully operational, it feels completely normal.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 320 CDI w/ Offroad Package
Here's a video of the "system" working. I'd replaced the air spring but it wouldn't reach its regular ride height and it would spontaneously lower itself slowly when I was taking long drives. The STAR diagnosis also said that the reservoir was at 0psi with a brand new air line fitted to it So I ordered a new valve block A2123200358 and compressor since they're the only two parts left from the original Airmatic system which is 10 years old and has been highly used, misused and abused by me.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI with every option code including Offroad pack, 1978 450SEL
Great idea, Fernan!

On my 320CDI (which I also use for offroading), I am planning on adding a fill point in the airline between the tank and the valve block. So if my compressor fails, I can add shop air or use a portable compressor to keep the car mobile. It would be difficult if the compressor failed whilst out in the bush.

Longer term, I'd like to add a permanent second compressor so I can use the air tanks for tyre re-inflation, which will also be the back up.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 Smart ForTwo Passion Cabrio
Originally Posted by fernan.baez
Step 3 use some Teflon tape for the thread and insert into where the hose goes.
Interesting mod. Just one suggestion -- teflon tape is good for fluids but not so good for air. That's why they call it "plumber's tape." I would put a thin rubber o-ring and a washer between the nut and the housing, and thin layer of silicon glue or threadlock fluid on the thread.