M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

2008 ML-320 CDI Radio Replacement Harman/Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-320 2008
2008 ML-320 CDI Radio Replacement Harman/Kardon

I am told there is an adapter for the Fiber Optics so that it integrates right with the steering controls and system. After that I'm wondering other that dimensions if I am limited on what unit I can put in the vehicle? I like the 10" tablet style units but I have also seen some direct replacement options android 7.1 for the vehicle as well. Any pointers thought? I have seen other threads but they see consumed with custom programming and pulling data from the cam bus etc.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 320 CDI
There are two things to consider. Your steering wheel controls work through the CAN BUS and your Harma Kardon Amp works through the MOST Fiber Optic Interface.

There are two different options.
  1. If you use a unit from for example Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer etc (regardless of if they are android based or some other OS) you will need to get their control module for steering wheel control.
  2. If you buy an OEM type Android unit they they will come with a they will come with a CanBus decoder for the steering wheels to control. For these units there are a lot of resellers (Dynavin, Joying, etc) and they come in different screen sizes but they are all based off the same technology (ex: MTCD, MTCE). Also it will come with a Plug and Play wiring harness so you will not need to buy any additional wiring.
Now regardless of which unit you use as mentioned above you will need a separate MOST Fiber Optic adapter for connecting your new headunit's audio output to the factory Harman Kardon amplifier. Here is one that will work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOB02-Optic...4383.l4275.c10

My Original radio was dead and so I have isntalled an MTCD 7.1" unit and have this exact same setup.

On a different Note, I need to get my hands on the factory radio for some other integration that I am planning to work on, If you are willing to donate it, please PM me.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
To augment what jigubhai2001posted,

There are two (2) adaptors you need for any new head unit to work with your factory Harman Kardon system. You will need a CAN Bus adaptor and a MOST adaptor.
CAN Bus is the system the car uses for the different components to talk to each other, example the SAM units. This is much like an Ethernet cable in a home computer network system.
MOST is a fiber optic system used to transfer audio to the different audio components in the audio system. This is much like the fiber audio connection available on most TV's and DVD/Blu-ray players instead of using the standard left and right RCA connections.

Many of the Asian designed Android systems designed to fit the ML's come with the CAN Bus adapter, where as the name brand aftermarket head units do not.

If you buy one of the normal aftermarket head units, (Pioneer, JVC, Alpine,.....), you want to buy a double din sized unit. Which means you will also have to get an adapter plate/installation kit that will fill in the rest of the space around the new unit. in the dash when installed

A word on the MOST adapter units (the fiber optics connection), they all only except two (2) inputs! That's stereo. So even though what ever you get to replace the original head unit will no longer be able to fade between front and back or control the subwoofer separately despite any controls the new unit has. Only left and right balance will work. Although you will most likely be able to control things with the steering wheel through the CAN Bus adaptor, you will most likely not get any displays on the dash. No compass, no GPS information and no music/song information. Depending on the CAN Bus adaptor you get, you may not be able to control calls with the steering wheel buttons either. The volume should work, and if you select audio on the dash display, even though nothing displays you should be able to change songs on the steering wheel. Now just because it is Stereo does not mean that the audio quality will be diminished, it's just Stereo. Any degradation of audio quality will most likely be due to the new head unit or the MOST adaptor. The MOST fiber system, like in your home, is a very clean way to transfer audio digitally.

If you are planning on removing the CD/DVD Changer in the glove box, you will need to get a fiber jumper. The MOST system is a fiber optic system that works in a loop. If the loop is not complete then it doesn't work, meaning that the audio will not play from the Harman Kardon amp without installing a jumper if you remove the changer. Of course, you can leave the changer in the glove box, but it will not work with whatever aftermarket system you install.

Now if you want full functionality of your new head unit, you will have to replace the amp! The amp is located below the drivers seat. You can run standard audio feeds (cables with RCA connectors on both ends)from your head unit to under the seat and then tie into the speaker wiring from there, since that is where they are terminated at the Harman Kardon amp. Your best bet if you go this route and you want to keep things out of sight, would be to get a 5 channel amp that will fit in the Harman Kardon amp location. That way you will have full control over the amp for front and rear, left and right and the subwoofer that you will not have if you use a MOST adaptor. Lots more work and more things to buy, but then you have full control of all your speakers instead of just stereo.

Example of a faceplate/installation kit: http://www.installer.com/item/displa...p?it=ct23mb06a
Example of a fiber jumper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-MOST-...19.m1438.l2649

Last edited by dfghhgfd; 03-08-2018 at 06:53 AM.