MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W164) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164-72/)
-   -   Gutted my DPF (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/731992-gutted-my-dpf.html)

CourtneyW 01-05-2019 12:48 AM

Gutted my DPF

Hello,

My 2011 ML350 Bluetec (W164) recently stopped accelerating. As soon as I put it in drive, it died. Brand new battery. OBDII codes were: P2459 Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency and P2463 Fault code not found in database. After a fare amount of research on DPF’s my solution was to remove it, cut it open and remove the filter/gut it and weld it back together. This is s temporary fix to get it operating again. Im hoping to contact Malone Tunning in Canada this week for a tune quote and to see what they recommend for s delete kit... Husband gutted the DPF and it was packed full of crap, welded it back together and reinstalled it back on the SUV. Getting to the DPF on a ML is a pain.... nothing like the Sprinters from what I watched on You Tube. We had to cut the bolt that goes through the clamp that connects the DPF to the back side of the turbo. Just left Home Depot for a replacement bolt. Keep your fingers crossed!!! I’m really hoping it runs/accelerates when we are done this evening. I’m in Texas so doing this will not cause me to fail emissions as diesels are a safety only inspection. Wish me luck!

Gazwould 01-05-2019 05:26 AM

Don't blame you , it's a very flawed device .

I laugh how I hear on an almost daily basis people have to do special high revs motorway trips to clean or force a regen , how's that helping the environment , the NOx and diesel particulates are far from 0 .

A motorway is an hour away from me .

Get the egr out of the new map too .

CLK Group 01-05-2019 05:26 PM

Don't know what the vehicle registration renewal process is in TX, but if you have an emissions test component you're going to have a problem.

FF212 01-10-2019 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CourtneyW (Post 7646149)
Hello,

My 2011 ML350 Bluetec (W164) recently stopped accelerating. As soon as I put it in drive, it died. Brand new battery. OBDII codes were: P2459 Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Frequency and P2463 Fault code not found in database. After a fare amount of research on DPF’s my solution was to remove it, cut it open and remove the filter/gut it and weld it back together. This is s temporary fix to get it operating again. Im hoping to contact Malone Tunning in Canada this week for a tune quote and to see what they recommend for s delete kit... Husband gutted the DPF and it was packed full of crap, welded it back together and reinstalled it back on the SUV. Getting to the DPF on a ML is a pain.... nothing like the Sprinters from what I watched on You Tube. We had to cut the bolt that goes through the clamp that connects the DPF to the back side of the turbo. Just left Home Depot for a replacement bolt. Keep your fingers crossed!!! I’m really hoping it runs/accelerates when we are done this evening. I’m in Texas so doing this will not cause me to fail emissions as diesels are a safety only inspection. Wish me luck!

Without a tune , I would think it will still try to do regen ?
Dumping diesel fuel into an empty DPF for a regen might cause an issue.

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...-2011-buzzken/
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/copy-of-m...nce-2009-2012/

I'm lucky , that I am local to Buzzken near Toronto ON.
PM me if you want any details/info on the above

Gazwould 01-10-2019 07:20 PM

For sure get a map to accommodate gutted dpf preferably egr off too.

I wouldn't of thought it would regen post gutting as the pressure sensors wouldn't detect a resistance to trigger one .

Trevor Simpson 03-15-2019 05:38 PM

Courtney- What ended up happening with this? What happened after DPF was gutted? Did it run right? I am going through similar issue.

Maj. Dundee 03-15-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor Simpson (Post 7706501)
Courtney- What ended up happening with this? What happened after DPF was gutted? Did it run right? I am going through similar issue.

courtney only has 4 posts since 2017. I doubt he is visiting this forum.

CourtneyW 04-17-2019 09:04 AM

Apologies for the late Reply!

Originally Posted by Trevor Simpson (Post 7706501)

Im horrible about checking this site on a regular basis. So my SUV ran great up until a week ago. Out of the blue it stopped accelerating normally. I immediately replaced the Bosh pressure sensor (has 2 tubes that connect to the DPF), didn’t fix it. I replaced the bat wing (black plastic that turbo inlet seal fits inside shattered), still no fix. It drives but once I get up to 3000-4000 RPM, I can press the accelerator all the way down and RPM’s don’t increase and no acceleration. I pulled codes and fear the worst!
Codes:
P2463-DPF accumulation, soot restriction.
P0234-Turbo overboost condition.
P0299-Turbo underboost
P2002-DPF efficiency below threshold bank 1.

Husband and I removed DPF on Monday to verify it wasn’t clogged (it was still hollow). Shot compressed air through the lines on the DFP that the 2 DPF sensor tubes connect to and black soot came flying out. Still no fix.

I have a messy oil leak on top of this (I think it’s the PCV valve). So I removed everything off the front of the motor, steam cleaned what I could, replaced orings/gaskets and put everything back on. Replaced my fuel filter and air filters. Last night I removed the EGR and it’s very dirty. Going to clean it today and reinstall. I have removed the turbo actuator and it looks fine but I’m no electrician and not a mechanic! I worry that the problem is within my Turbo. Husband is out of town and said I have no business tearing apart the turbo blah blah blah lol (he is worried I might F it up). So yeah, that’s where I’m at if the EGR cleaning doesn’t fix my no acceleration it’s on to the turbo.....

I have talked to Malone Tunning (they have a shop in Dallas) but I personally feel more comfortable shipping my ECM to them in Canada for the tune and installing the new pipe/EGR block myself. I’m probably going to ship them the ECU in the next 1-2 weeks.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. And if there is anything I can shed light on please feel free to ask! (I will be checking my gmail often for notifications to this forum!)

Cheers!
-Courtney

Trevor Simpson 05-31-2019 09:01 PM

Courtney, what happened after all of that? I just pulled my DPF off. I am debating on whether or not to hollow it out or have it professionally cleaned/baked. So are you telling me that you drove it for almost 2 years hollowed out without doing the software delete? I was wondering what would happen if I did that.