M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

W164 tail light seals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W164 320 cdi MY 08
W164 tail light seals

Hi everyone,
After searching a lot in forums i failed to find detailed information on sealing the new tail light seals on my w164. I had my tail light seals replaced in January 2021 with OEM parts from the dealer. A local mechanic installed and applied silicone but 3 months later i discovered that the right seal (where the SAM is located) had some rain drops. From my search it results that the adhesive in the seal should be installed on the body of the car and not in the tail light. Now my questions are:
What have you used to seal the tail lights? Silicone? Is silicone necessary to apply on the side of the seal that already has adhesive? After installing the seal to the body of the car should I apply silicone in order to seal the part where the tail light attaches to the seal? Any additional information is appreciated.
Locally i could find sealant for the windshield and I am having difficulties finding other sealing products. Is it okay to be used in this case?
Thank you.