M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Bought and ML500 with so many issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 ML500
Bought and ML500 with so many issues

Hello All,

So unfortunately, my entry into the bens world has been horrific so far. I bought a 2007 ML500 with 117k miles the week before Thanksgiving. With in a week the issues started popping up and there have been more issues than any other car I had in my life. I have no idea how the seller hide all the issues. What I thought and my researched told me would be a good deal turned out to be the worst car experience of my life so far. How I still fully believe that once I fix the issues It will be a great car.

Let’s start from the beginning:

I lost my Lexus in a storm that flooded the NY area so I had to buy a new car. I have a baby on the way so I looked for an SUV with good safety features but I didnt like the Lexus RX. My research lead me to the w164. I researched all the negative and positive on the w164 and thought i found a good candidate from a private seller. When test driving and looking for all the issues the internet told me to look for, It drove great and I saw no issues. I told him I’d take it. He asked if i could come back next week because he needed the car until his new one arrived. I said ok asked him to take it to the mechanic and to get it checked out by the mechanic in the mean time. When I can back the next week it had 2k more miles on it and he didnt take it to Mercedes’ or a mechanic. He gave me an excuse that his family life got in the way and he didnt have the time. I unfortunately bereaved him. And purchased the car.

Within one week of ownership all the stuff he hid came to light. So far I’ve spent over $1k in repairs and its still climbing. When I say he scammed me, I mean he even switched the tires to bold ones. I didnt think to recheack them. That’s my fault for trusting him.

Anywho here are the issues I’m dealing with and will fix 1 by 1. Ordered by most annoying.

Issues:

Heater: The heater is not blowing hot air. Had one of the models replaced and will bring the car in on Monday to get the thermostat replaced. Hopefully this will fix it. I have already gotten sick driving the car in the cold.

(Update): Had the thermostat changed, still no heat. Flush is next.

Oil leaks: There were 2 big leaks got them fixed, but again I have no idea how he hid them from me. When I checked the car the first time, no signs of oil leaks (however I never lifted the car to check under either, but I didnt check under as much as I could on the street and saw no signs of oil leaks on his driveway. However after parking it in my garage for 1 day I have huge oil spots.

This problem is resolved as much as it can be but i will have to keep an eye on the oil.

Tires: like I said. I checked the tire tread when I first checked the car. they were good. Not new, but good. I picked up the car at night and didnt bother to recheck. the first night of rain fall i noticed lack of grip. Checked the tires and they were now all bold. Like who the heck does that.

Bought new tires, which are expensive.

Front end:

Lower control arm bushing need to be replaced

Brakes and rotors need to be changed.

Check engine light came on:

need to replace the gas’s cap and the gas door. Like he broke the door and glued it back on. Again he must have did this during the extra week he had it. I checked the gas tank door when looking at the body. It was fine then.

Rear view mirror:

it doesn’t stay in position. I have to constantly move it or reposition myself to see behind me.

Electrical: (So many issues don’t even know all of them.)

Keep getting light and turn signal warnings. Changed all the bulbs but still get these warnings intermittently while driving (rear turn signal, driver side break light, etc)
Trunk release bottom doesn’t work.
Hood open warning came on while driving. I fixed this, the sensor came loose.
Driver side mirror doesn’t move when pressing the controls.
Side mirrors dont fold in
sides mirrors dont auto adjust when reversing,

Well that’s all for now. I’ll update as I fix and find more issues.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,150 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Redlox82
Hello All,

So unfortunately, my entry into the bens world has been horrific so far. I bought a 2007 ML500 with 117k miles the week before Thanksgiving. With in a week the issues started popping up and there have been more issues than any other car I had in my life. I have no idea how the seller hide all the issues. What I thought and my researched told me would be a good deal turned out to be the worst car experience of my life so far. How I still fully believe that once I fix the issues It will be a great car.

I lost my Lexus in a storm that flooded the NY area so I had to buy a new car. I have a baby on the way so I looked for an SUV with good safety features but I didnt like the Lexus RX. My research lead me to the w164. I researched all the negative and positive on the w164 and thought i found a good candidate from a private seller. When test driving and looking for all the issues the internet told me to look for, It drove great and I saw no issues. I told him I’d take it. He asked if i could come back next week because he needed the car until his new one arrived. I said ok asked him to take it to the mechanic and to get it checked out by the mechanic in the mean time. When I can back the next week it had 2k more miles on it and he didnt take it to Mercedes’ or a mechanic. He gave me an excuse that his family life got in the way and he didnt have the time. I unfortunately bereaved him. And purchased the car.

Within one week of ownership all the stuff he hid came to light. So far I’ve spent over $1k in repairs and its still climbing. When I say he scammed me, I mean he even switched the tires to bold ones. I didnt think to recheack them. That’s my fault for trusting him.

Anywho here are the issues I’m dealing with and will fix 1 by 1. Ordered by most annoying.

Issues:

Heater: The heater is not blowing hot air. Had one of the models replaced and will bring the car in on Monday to get the thermostat replaced. Hopefully this will fix it. I have already gotten sick driving the car in the cold.

Oil leaks: There were 2 big leaks got them fixed, but again I have no idea how he hid them from me. When I checked the car the first time, no signs of oil leaks (however I never lifted the car to check under either, but I didnt check under as much as I could on the street and saw no signs of oil leaks on his driveway. However after parking it in my garage for 1 day I have huge oil spots.

This problem is resolved as much as it can be but i will have to keep an eye on the oil.

Tires: like I said. I checked the tire tread when I first checked the car. they were good. Not new, but good. I picked up the car at night and didnt bother to recheck. the first night of rain fall i noticed lack of grip. Checked the tires and they were now all bold. Like who the heck does that.

Front end:

need to replace the gas’s cap and the gas door. Like he broke the door and glued it back on. Again he must have did this during the extra week he had it. I checked the gas tank door when looking at the body. It was fine then.

Rear view mirror:

it doesn’t stay in position. I have to constantly move it or reposition myself to see behind me.

Keep getting light and turn signal warnings. Changed all the bulbs but still get these warnings intermittently while driving (rear turn signal, driver side break light, etc)

Welcome! Sorry to hear of the challenges. There are lots of helpful owners here that can make suggestions along your way. Please post a photo of the ML.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,060 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 (W212 @100K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @96K)
I am sorry to hear the trouble you are going through with your new-2-you car, but from your description, it should be manageable and you can then enjoy it for a long time

Since winter is upon us, you probably want to tackle that heater issue (I used to live in Ontario, and a car w/o heating is not fun in the winter). Before flushing, warm up the engine enough that you can touch the hoses and notice they are warm/manageable hot. Turn the engine off, and follow the heater hoses from the engine towards the firewall and try to find out if suddenly (after some component, junction, else) the hose is not that hot, i.e. found your problem. The core may be clean, but a single T-Junction may be clogged and create all these issues.

You have not mentioned how many miles, nor the state of the coolant. If it looks dirty, the flush was needed anyways and likely something is clogged, usually around narrow connectors.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Mileage is mentioned below, 117K

Sorry about your experience. If the car was good when you checked it out, but not in the same condition when you picked it up, I would have challenged the seller. Especially the tires, that's ridiculous.

Knock on wood, in all the years I have been buying used vehicles, I have usually been a good judge of character and have never run across a douche bag like that.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (12-20-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Red, with all these problems, especially the CEL light, you must own your own scanner to read codes in all 25 control modules. If you do not own one, everything will be guess work.

You might have water entry in the rear SAM.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-21-2021, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 ML 500
Originally Posted by Redlox82
Hello All,

Issues:

Front end:

Rear view mirror:

Hi
I also own a W164 ML 500 but a 2006 and is a great vehicle to drive

Coming to your problems, don't get dishearten by thinking that you have bought a lemon, its a solid built car, once maintained it will run for years, i understand the frustration and i was also in the same situation mine was worse and no once could have predicted it (had a petrol leak from the neck filler line upon doing a tank full, spare part was not available, made a custom order from the OEM and after 1 month came to know that the spare part is lost in space and no once could track it where the spare part was? how insane, finally fed up and went to the local scrap yard picked up a different neck filler line but ended up in an exact fit, so i thought the problem would go away, now there is no more a leak BUT there is an insane petrol smell in the car, which i cam till this date trying to sort it out)

Out of all your problems heater and oil leaks could be easily identified the root cause but the electrical problem which you have mentioned will gave a big headache to trace out, are you replacing/ fixing the items by yourself? if not i would suggest to go to a good certified tech and get all the issues sorted out 1 by 1 as you mentioned and you will be good to go

To save the cost, you can also go to your local junkyards and would find plenty of spare parts, classic example would be to get a good set of used rotors that would save big money

Keep us posted about your progress and on your way to the chequered flag!

Old 12-30-2021, 06:24 PM

2007 ML500
I’m definitely going to sue him. My mechanic took lots of pictures to help me prove my case.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:26 PM

2007 ML500
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Red, with all these problems, especially the CEL light, you must own your own scanner to read codes in all 25 control modules. If you do not own one, everything will be guess work.

You might have water entry in the rear SAM.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglin...omotive&sr=1-4
Thanks. The scanner I have wasn’t working with this car so I need this.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:32 PM

2007 ML500
Originally Posted by YasirKhan
Hi
I also own a W164 ML 500 but a 2006 and is a great vehicle to drive

Coming to your problems, don't get dishearten by thinking that you have bought a lemon, its a solid built car, once maintained it will run for years, i understand the frustration and i was also in the same situation mine was worse and no once could have predicted it (had a petrol leak from the neck filler line upon doing a tank full, spare part was not available, made a custom order from the OEM and after 1 month came to know that the spare part is lost in space and no once could track it where the spare part was? how insane, finally fed up and went to the local scrap yard picked up a different neck filler line but ended up in an exact fit, so i thought the problem would go away, now there is no more a leak BUT there is an insane petrol smell in the car, which i cam till this date trying to sort it out)

Out of all your problems heater and oil leaks could be easily identified the root cause but the electrical problem which you have mentioned will gave a big headache to trace out, are you replacing/ fixing the items by yourself? if not i would suggest to go to a good certified tech and get all the issues sorted out 1 by 1 as you mentioned and you will be good to go

To save the cost, you can also go to your local junkyards and would find plenty of spare parts, classic example would be to get a good set of used rotors that would save big money

Keep us posted about your progress and on your way to the chequered flag!
The heat is now fixed and I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I plan on fixing as much as I can by my self. My Mechanic is really good. I definitely will go to a junk yard if i need too. Maybe they will have an AMG i can take the break system off of :-) and do a swap.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,060 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 (W212 @100K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @96K)
Have you been able to fix the petrol/gasoline smell in the cabin?
Old 08-08-2022, 01:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 ML 500
Originally Posted by juanmor40
Have you been able to fix the petrol/gasoline smell in the cabin?
Hi
Yeah finally the petrol smell in the cabin is now gone
The petrol was coming out from the fuel tank and was getting spilled just the below the rear passenger side seat, solution was to put a lot of silicon to properly seal the area where the end of the neck filler line goes into the fuel tank,

The access hatch for that area could be found below the rear passenger side seat

Sorry cannot provide a photo, the mechanic already closed and sealed off everything