M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ML320 CDI 2113 code missfire on 1 (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 06:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
ML320 CDI 2113 code missfire on 1 (intermittent)

I have an intermittent 2113 code (Missfiring detection cylinder cylinder 1 - the number of missfirings is too high - cylinder 1) and engine missing constantly - sounds and feels like running on 5 cylinders (which is consistent with code). There is no CEL

Problem has only just started in the last 60 or so km - car has 320,000 klm on it

Symptom first came with wife driving - she parked it up after driving about 50km with it. I then drove it (a few days later when I was back with scanner) and definitely ran rough for about 10km but just as I was getting back home it started running smoothe. Erased code and it stayed off.

Will this code come up if injector is clogged etc or just if there is something wrong with the electrical side of the injector?

I have a motor from a wreck - would it be safe enough to put in a used injector from it - same OM642 etc.

I have an AUTEL code reader only

Old 08-30-2022, 12:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
Injector harness/connector getting flaky connection?
Seems to me all the plastic bits near the motor get heat fatigued. The glowplug connections are crazy-brittle, for example.

Yes, you could swap a spare from your extra motor, the IQ adjustment number will self-adjust over time if you aren't able to code the replacement injector number in.
Since you're nearing 200K miles, you might avoid needing to do another one 6 months from now by doing them all. (another guy on this forum mentioned 200k as a ballpark service life)
Maybe do the one to get comfortable with the procedure, and do the rest whenever it's convenient to your schedule.

Accessing the ones in back under the wiper drain tray, is a bit of a reach. I'd recommend removing the wipers and tray.
Careful with the fuel return line fittings, the circular snaps break easily, the o-rings are tiny and could use a dab of silicone grease to keep the snaps from tearing them.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
wannawagon (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 06:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Originally Posted by B34chBum
Injector harness/connector getting flaky connection?
Seems to me all the plastic bits near the motor get heat fatigued. The glowplug connections are crazy-brittle, for example.

Yes, you could swap a spare from your extra motor, the IQ adjustment number will self-adjust over time if you aren't able to code the replacement injector number in.
Since you're nearing 200K miles, you might avoid needing to do another one 6 months from now by doing them all. (another guy on this forum mentioned 200k as a ballpark service life)
Maybe do the one to get comfortable with the procedure, and do the rest whenever it's convenient to your schedule.

Accessing the ones in back under the wiper drain tray, is a bit of a reach. I'd recommend removing the wipers and tray.
Careful with the fuel return line fittings, the circular snaps break easily, the o-rings are tiny and could use a dab of silicone grease to keep the snaps from tearing them.

Good luck!
many thanks. Great to know I should get away with swapping injector.

i will have a good look at plug to injector

I put new injector washer seals about 25000km ago so should come out easier this time

does the code only come with an electrical failure of the injector? Will it also come on with clogged injector?

Was trying to work out how the ecu would know which cylinder didn’t get combustion from sensors