MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   2012 ML Speakers (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/423279-2012-ml-speakers.html)

T Class 11-16-2011 12:55 AM

2012 ML Speakers

I have a non HK 8 speaker system, and would love to replace the speakers as a start to enhance the sound.

I was wondering if anyone knew what size speakers come in the 2012 ML.

lboudreau 11-16-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fongletez (Post 4919676)
Try the link below.. shows size and placement of alll the speakers in the HK system.

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...al.aspx#detail

I don't think the OP has HK, hence the "non HK" comment

T Class 11-16-2011 12:45 PM

@Fongletez amazing link, thank you, but lboudreau is right...

Unfortunately I have the standard equipment sound system.

T Class 12-21-2011 12:36 AM

I managed to get all the PN's for the speakers but the dealer description is vague and doesn't list the sizes. Will follow up if I find out anything...

jtorrebl 12-21-2011 02:43 AM

It's probably gonna cost too much. Might as well go aftermarket

Waykool plantz 12-21-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 4970709)

Has anyone upgraded the speakers or head unit yet ?
I would like the HK system but only available with Premium 2 package...which has more than I want.
I am a JL Audio dealer so I have access to upgrade parts but don't know how integrated the system is or if the head unit can be upgraded & still retain steering wheel control

jtorrebl 12-21-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Waykool plantz (Post 4970829)
Has anyone upgraded the speakers or head unit yet ?
I would like the HK system but only available with Premium 2 package...which has more than I want.
I am a JL Audio dealer so I have access to upgrade parts but don't know how integrated the system is or if the head unit can be upgraded & still retain steering wheel control

ThE light up Mercedes plate and different color LEDs are totally worth price of addmission tO get the Hk system. Just get it instead of the headache of aftermarket

Waykool plantz 12-21-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 4971006)
ThE light up Mercedes plate and different color LEDs are totally worth price of addmission tO get the Hk system. Just get it instead of the headache of aftermarket

$$5300 worth ?

katiesdad7 12-21-2011 11:22 AM

Its really just like $1800 because it includes all of P1. Its not $5300 in addition to the P1 package. We listened to the standard system and the HK system and were hooked. We ordered the P2 pkg just for the HK system. We also tried the leather and MBtex and didin't see any difference so we went the standard MBTex.

T Class 12-21-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 4970709)

Im looking to get aftermarket but hoping to get the sizes from the existing PN's.

Waykool plantz 12-21-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7 (Post 4971050)
Its really just like $1800 because it includes all of P1. Its not $5300 in addition to the P1 package. We listened to the standard system and the HK system and were hooked. We ordered the P2 pkg just for the HK system. We also tried the leather and MBtex and didin't see any difference so we went the standard MBTex.

I really dont want P1...i fear the distraction of nav & dont need the rest, Just the HK tho Keyless-Go & Disco lighting mite be cool

katiesdad7 12-21-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Waykool plantz (Post 4971229)
I really dont want P1...i fear the distraction of nav & dont need the rest, Just the HK tho Keyless-Go & Disco lighting mite be cool

I don't even know if they make any without at least the P1 pkg.

Waykool plantz 12-21-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7 (Post 4971307)
I don't even know if they make any without at least the P1 pkg.

the only way is BTO...mine is ordered without
But maybe not for long

DMan 01-12-2012 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.GL450 (Post 4971114)
Im looking to get aftermarket but hoping to get the sizes from the existing PN's.

any update on speaker sizes for non-HK trucks? I'm looking to go the aftermarket route as well. thx.

GregW / Oregon 01-12-2012 11:00 AM

Standard speaker sizes

Originally Posted by DMan (Post 5001411)
any update on speaker sizes for non-HK trucks? I'm looking to go the aftermarket route as well. thx.

Center and rear surround speakers are 80mm, apparently: http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/vehicles/m-class/

T Class 01-12-2012 01:02 PM

Ahhh I see... Just read this in regards to the HK system compared to Non-HK

"The 14 premium sound transformers have been partially modified to allow for the increase in amplifier power. This takes the diameter of the center speaker and rear surround speaker up by 20 mm to 100 mm"

Im wonder if that is referring to the depth of the speaker because 3" speaker doesn't sound right... I saw on another forum a C Class with specs of 6.5" with 80mm depth. hmmmm.

Marcus3171 01-19-2012 12:41 PM

Add an amp and sub

Got the p1 package. Couldn't wait for p2, anyway I'd like to add a sub and an amp. Is it possible and I'd like to put sub in rear in the same place hk has it. Any suggestions.

Shrdlu 01-19-2012 02:31 PM

Meridian?

Bluerum 01-19-2012 02:51 PM

meridian is overrated due to some room correction quackery I heard - HK and especially Bose blow it away...

YYZ-E55 01-19-2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shrdlu (Post 5013007)
Meridian?

Amazing. :zoom:

jbondox 01-19-2012 05:15 PM

without the HK system, you can add a 3 way to the front 6.5", 70mm, and 1" tweeter in the factory locations, rear door is weird but a 6.5" coaxial will fit, the rear D pillars, have no provisions however you can add something though I really wouldnt waste my time

Audison and hertz is my first choice for speakers, and i would recommend the mille 6" for the front doors, rear doors would be a hi energy from Hertz also.

I would run the Audison Bit1 processor, 4 speaker wire pairs from the radio f/r & l/r straight into the bit1, auto eq, output to the amps, depending on your flavor,, personally if I am upgrading I am going all out and will do the older LRx from audison or the Voce' line. expensive, but I do like my music. for a sub, you can easily add a mille 10" to the left rear trunk area in a custom fiberglass enclosure... just power the speaker with alot of power.

Of course, my system aforementioned would be way more than the HK system, but would sound better also. HK amp isnt all that special either, looking at it is pretty small to be powering 12 speakers. Though... that is the difference between using cheap chips and alot of EQ'ing vs building a quality amplifier and letting the music be as close to natural as possible.

Keep the factory headunit if you have nav and multimedia capability, as a DVD player from MB will play like a DVD player from any of the after aftermarket "quality" companies. Aftermarket is pretty much junk now a days, I dont care what brand it is...

Hope that helps you out.. also if you want on the front door speakers which is not necessary, but you can run a 3 way component from Hertz also... their hi-energy line has the 6"/hl70/1" and is very good, just would be some overkill in the mid range area and past experience would say you will need to EQ the mid (70mm) alot to make it blend well... but not totally impossible...

Hope it helps yas out

Also JL is a good brand and they have helped me out in the past tremendously on a few custom built systems.

Marcus3171 01-19-2012 07:10 PM

Wow thanks but I'm only looking for a moderate system. I'm looking to see if I can add one amp to one sub and try to fit sub in rear left compartment

T Class 01-24-2012 02:37 PM

I'm with Marcus on this one..

jbondox could you dummy it down a bit for us...

Marcus3171 01-27-2012 03:48 PM

Sub woofer

Was thinking about installing a 10 inch sub in the rear drivers side in the tailgate area. There's a black door which is easily removed to expose a decent amount of space. I was thinking of replacing the black door and installing the sub on a rugged piece of wood and install it where black cover was. Does anyone think the speaker will sound right? There seams to be a lot of insulation and looks kinda sound tight. Any suggestions on type of speaker and size and type of amp. Thanks Mark.

canpel 01-28-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus3171 (Post 5025049)
Was thinking about installing a 10 inch sub in the rear drivers side in the tailgate area. There's a black door which is easily removed to expose a decent amount of space. I was thinking of replacing the black door and installing the sub on a rugged piece of wood and install it where black cover was. Does anyone think the speaker will sound right? There seams to be a lot of insulation and looks kinda sound tight. Any suggestions on type of speaker and size and type of amp. Thanks Mark.

I am also planning to install something like your idea. i have the HK system and am planning to replace the subwoofer with JL Audio 8W1v2-4 with is an 8" driver. As for the amp , the JL XD600/1 looks small and powerful enough. But my dilemma is where to install the amp and get the power from. In my old W164 , i had installed the amp under the trunk liner, in the middle of the spare tire and power was taken from the fuse panel in the trunk.But W166 does not have enough room on top of the spare tire and no fuse panel in the trunk.

Marcus3171 01-28-2012 10:20 AM

Sub

So the hk don't have enough bang? I like the choices you picked. Do you think the 8 inch is a better fit then the ten? As far as the amp I'm looking to hide that in the same left compartment. I just need an amp that accepts high inputs so I can tap right in from a rear door speaker. 8 or 10 hmm.

Waykool plantz 01-28-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus3171 (Post 5025983)
So the hk don't have enough bang? I like the choices you picked. Do you think the 8 inch is a better fit then the ten? As far as the amp I'm looking to hide that in the same left compartment. I just need an amp that accepts high inputs so I can tap right in from a rear door speaker. 8 or 10 hmm.

I'm confused a bit as to your terminology....high inputs are line level or speaker level ? And don't you think the H/K amp has a separate sub out that would be preferable to that for the rear door speaker ?

JL is about 3 miles from my home....and we are a JL dealer.
I could ask for advice...tho not keen on them using MY ML as science project.

Marcus3171 01-28-2012 06:47 PM

Sub

I don't have hk system. That's why I need to tap into wires from one of my speakers to either an RCA converter or directly to an amp. And after measuring the space I'm leaning towards an 8 inch sub. By the way what's size is hk sub, and does anyone know if there is a center speaker in the dashboard on a stock radio? I see the grate but can't tell if sound is coming from there??

canpel 01-28-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus3171 (Post 5026443)
I don't have hk system. That's why I need to tap into wires from one of my speakers to either an RCA converter or directly to an amp. And after measuring the space I'm leaning towards an 8 inch sub. By the way what's size is hk sub, and does anyone know if there is a center speaker in the dashboard on a stock radio? I see the grate but can't tell if sound is coming from there??

HK sub is 8 inch and is in an enclosure on the left side of the trunk wall. Where are you planning to install the amp and get the power from?

Marcus3171 01-29-2012 10:21 AM

Sub

Anyone know if it's possible to buy the hk enclosure from dealer? Would make install a little easier. And I was looking to power amp from the battery and put amp under driver seat or where spare tire is located

GregW / Oregon 01-29-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus3171 (Post 5027127)
Anyone know if it's possible to buy the hk enclosure from dealer? Would make install a little easier. And I was looking to power amp from the battery and put amp under driver seat or where spare tire is located

Speaker enclosure should be orderable, though you might have to wait a while for it given the initial shortage seen on some parts.

azcats2 04-28-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
can somebody with knowledge of car audio tell me if this quote is high for what i am getting? i want to put aftermarket upgraded sound system in. i only have p01 package. thank you kindly.

Attachment 449785

azcats2 05-03-2012 07:17 PM

bumping

stas2007 06-04-2013 05:43 PM

bumping this thread back, so has anyone had a aftermarket system installed?
I in the research stage getting ready for my install, will be using my old system thats been in storage for over 2 years (JL Audio 500/1v2 and old school infinity 12" sub)

side0ut 08-10-2015 02:15 PM

Just bought a 2015 ML250 and base stereo. Wanted to see if anyone has successfully added a small subwoofer to the system? If so, please share. Placement of subwoofer/amplifier. Where did you tap into the existing system to connect amplifier? Any help would be great. Need some Bass.... :)

greasykid 08-11-2015 03:56 PM

Have upgraded audio

Have 2015 ML250 with base audio--NO HK. Have upgraded the door speakers & amplifier.

Speakers (6 1/2" ) are HERTZ--rated @ 100 watts each. $500 total

Amp 400 watt ALPINE. $400

Bought the above on line for about $950

Had 4 doors covered with HUSHMAT Elite. $250

Had audio shop (high end) do install. No change in appearence-looks stock. Took installer about 16 hrs labor plus another $400 in misc parts. No subwoofer in my case. Was able to get all the base I wanted. Also need to mention that there is some time involved to properly "balance" the new system.

This is no job for an amateur if you want the results I got. I can turn the volume higher than I will ever want and there is NO distortion! Have LIFETIME GUARANTY on the installation.

Finally My backround is electronics & audio. The prices that I quoted I got by buying wholesale Online. You can get an improvement in just a good upgrade in speakers but the amp really needs a GOOD upgrade as it feeds the speakers. Remember GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.

side0ut 08-11-2015 05:12 PM

Awesome. Thanks. I tried to go to Crutchfield but they did not have any data. Are the front door speakers 6.5 Components and the rear door speakers coaxial? Is there a speaker in the middle dash or is that just a placeholder for the HK system? Where did you put your amp?

Thanks,

Rich

greasykid 08-12-2015 01:54 PM

Audio installation info.

Originally Posted by side0ut (Post 6524004)
Awesome. Thanks. I tried to go to Crutchfield but they did not have any data. Are the front door speakers 6.5 Components and the rear door speakers coaxial? Is there a speaker in the middle dash or is that just a placeholder for the HK system? Where did you put your amp?

Thanks,

Yes. Front-Component-tweeters in "A" pillar. Rear-Co-ax. From what we could determine front dash speaker is for COMAND audio only. Placed Amp @ drivers/rear wheel behind carpet. Believe slightly behind wheel. There was enough room there. Everything looks stock. Amp size needs to be compact. Alpine PDX-F4
Purchased above from WoofersEtc.com---- Jim

Rich

ok