MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Production Delay!!!! (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/424972-production-delay.html)

vetfed 11-29-2011 03:37 PM

Production Delay!!!!

I ordered a 2012 ML350 a couple of months ago and was given a November 14, 2011 production date. I sold my 2003 ML350 today, anticipating the delivery of the new car any day now. MBUSA was down to about a week after the production date for delivery to the dealers in the NE USA and some midwest locations. I read in another thread that someone picked up their new ML in the midwest on November 18 after a November 11 build date. So, guess what????? I received a call back today from the dealer after inquiring for a week and was told that the Alabama plant RAN OUT OF WHEELS!!! Production is delayed until at least mid December, and I have no car. Stranded. Out of luck. I called MBUSA and they of course were unaware of the delay. Any suggestions/ comments??? The dealer is looking for a substitute, but not a chance.

2012 ML350 (gas)
Black (040)
Almond Beige MB Tex
S02
Running boards
Wood/leather steering wheel
Pre wire for rear seat entertainment system

sosh 11-29-2011 04:01 PM

Request a loaner vehicle from the dealer. Have done that several times over the years. My dealer has never refused me. Usually a new or near new MB.

vetfed 11-29-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but a slight problem. The dealer is 350 miles away near my summer place in New England.........I was going to fly up there to pick up the car, but I don't thing they would let me take the loaner so far out of the area. Plus, I'd have to fly up twice.

YYZ-E55 11-29-2011 04:13 PM

Enterprise will pick you up!

Shrdlu 11-29-2011 05:11 PM

I hope they have plenty of 20-inch wheels, which come with the Dynamic Handling Package (Jan availability).

sosh 11-29-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by vetfed (Post 4937897)
Thanks for the suggestion, but a slight problem. The dealer is 350 miles away near my summer place in New England.........I was going to fly up there to pick up the car, but I don't thing they would let me take the loaner so far out of the area. Plus, I'd have to fly up twice.

350 miles is not really that far. Dont know why you would have to fly up twice. When your car comes in drive the loaner to pick it up. Can't hurt to ask for one.
The big question I have is why on earth would you order a car from a dealer 350 miles away? Is it really worth any of the savings you have gotten? One more thought perhaps you can convince them to deliver the new car to you and pick up the loaner at the same time.

listerone 11-29-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by vetfed (Post 4937897)

Seems to me that this is an MBUSA problem (not a dealer problem) so *they* would be responsible for making you "whole".A delivery date may not constitute a legal contract so you may have no *legal* recourse but "good will" may well mean something to them.

katiesdad7 11-30-2011 05:40 PM

Hard to believe that they ran out of wheels. I can't see them laying off all the production workers at Christmas time. I have a 12/12 build date and was told that they are coming in early. So who is BS'ing? We may never know.

jweezy 11-30-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55 (Post 4937901)
Enterprise will pick you up!

:zoom:

300DTurbo 11-30-2011 07:13 PM

They are stuck at "port" without wheels.

Does this imply they are sent to port without wheels? (maybe so they can't be stolen>?)

Sean76NYC 11-30-2011 07:24 PM

Honestly...I've had 3 Benz's over the years...My ML that I'm picking up tomorrow will be my 4th.

This may be my last! For a car that's close to 60k, xenons (HID's) should be standard, and searching for a truck with 20inch RIMS shouldnt be such an ordeal!

I've been reading post after post about lighting package delays, shoratages of cars with the P2 package, etc...And I must say in this day and age it's not cool! Audi and BMW have zero problems delivering a car with the specs that we as Benz owners have to search high and low for...And then to Order a truck like the OP, only to be given some BS excuse about a plant running out of wheels,,,,,WHAT?????

Like I said, this may be my last!

katiesdad7 11-30-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 300DTurbo (Post 4939889)
They are stuck at "port" without wheels.

Does this imply they are sent to port without wheels? (maybe so they can't be stolen>?)

How do you get a car to "port" without wheels?

vetfed 11-30-2011 07:55 PM

There's an end to my story. It looks like the wheel delay would have set me back to possibly mid January, because MB couldn't specify a build date between December 15 and December 31. My dealer found me a similar car ( finding Package 2 is like the proverbial hen's teeth) somewhere in PA versus New England. No running boards and no wood/leather wheel, but it has the heated wheel and the Lane Assist/Blind spot option. They charged me $500 extra for the delivery, but so what!!!!!

USAA pricing, incredible money factor of .00155 (Tier I credit), big discount on service, and the winter mats to boot. Delivery in 7-10 days. They caught it enroute from the factory to the PA dealership. I guess it was built prior to the November 14 "run out of wheels" date. In short, this has been the worst fiasco of a launch in MB history!!!

Friends working at other dealers told me that the delays are due to outsourcing of build items, including leather, wheels, xenons, and more. Good luck.......

Sean76NYC 11-30-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by vetfed (Post 4939948)
There's an end to my story. It looks like the wheel delay would have set me back to possibly mid January, because MB couldn't specify a build date between December 15 and December 31. My dealer found me a similar car ( finding Package 2 is like the proverbial hen's teeth) somewhere in PA versus New England. No running boards and no wood/leather wheel, but it has the heated wheel and the Lane Assist/Blind spot option. They charged me $500 extra for the delivery, but so what!!!!!

USAA pricing, incredible money factor of .00155 (Tier I credit), big discount on service, and the winter mats to boot. Delivery in 7-10 days. They caught it enroute from the factory to the PA dealership. I guess it was built prior to the November 14 "run out of wheels" date. In short, this has been the worst fiasco of a launch in MB history!!!

Friends working at other dealers told me that the delays are due to outsourcing of build items, including leather, wheels, xenons, and more. Good luck.......

Lol....P2 is like looking for a Glacier in Hells kitchen....super rare right now!

My dealer found one yesterday, however it didn't have running boards or pano ....so I skipped it for a P1 with Pano and Running Boards. Honestly I could live without the Keyless go and upgraded sound. I entertained the idea of getting the Running Boards put on from my dealer...About $2K...But in my eyes i would just rather that stuff be done at the factory, so I went for the P1.

dougiebear 12-01-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7 (Post 4939724)
Hard to believe that they ran out of wheels. I can't see them laying off all the production workers at Christmas time. I have a 12/12 build date and was told that they are coming in early. So who is BS'ing? We may never know.

Its the 20 inch AMG wheels in Canada that are delayed.
Part of our sport pkg (Airmatic without curve assist)

dougiebear 12-01-2011 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sean76NYC (Post 4939905)
Honestly...I've had 3 Benz's over the years...My ML that I'm picking up tomorrow will be my 4th.

This may be my last! For a car that's close to 60k, xenons (HID's) should be standard, and searching for a truck with 20inch RIMS shouldnt be such an ordeal!

I've been reading post after post about lighting package delays, shoratages of cars with the P2 package, etc...And I must say in this day and age it's not cool! Audi and BMW have zero problems delivering a car with the specs that we as Benz owners have to search high and low for...And then to Order a truck like the OP, only to be given some BS excuse about a plant running out of wheels,,,,,WHAT?????

hey ying yangs who cares????

Its a BRAND NEW truck made in a plant supplied by the world on a just in time basis to supply the WHOLE FEAKIN WORLD!!!!!

Tell me how do you think THE WORLD will want their vehicle ordered?????
So MBUSI can build it on time and CHEAP
Remember too folks in America for our lack of choice we pay MANY THOUSANDS LESS for our ML's like half or more less then the World

Stop the whinning and B****ing shut up and wait!!! or buy a Ford or Dodge lots of them maybe even a Jeep LOL

Sorry for sounding harsh (especially Sean) but so many of you act like someone owes you something.
My ML starts at 60 G's Europe's trucks about 150,000 or more

:slap:

dougiebear 12-01-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sean76NYC (Post 4939905)

Have you tried to order an AUDI???? how about a 6 month wait with about 2-3 plants building them LOL

Fongletez 12-01-2011 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by dougiebear (Post 4940451)
Have you tried to order an AUDI???? how about a 6 month wait with about 2-3 plants building them LOL

I canceled my Q7 order, March delivery, at 5k less with same setup including xenon lights since MB dealer said a December delivery date is No problem and i liked the interior more the the Q. rethinking my choice after one delayed build date and this thread....

Correct, MB owes me nothing but to deliver on what they said they are going to do. easy as that.

dougiebear 12-01-2011 03:51 AM

Fongletez
I think the dealer gave a date from previous stock order changed to priority 1.
Main thought is these lights NOT AT ALL like Audis. Most don't swivel on Audi only up and down unless top models. Its a fine print thing you will love the adaptive high beams. PC hard drives are climbing as factory under water and no suppy soon. Have to bite it on the Bi Xenon AHA lights for a grand its a steal. Heck 2013 saves me more $$$ but now would be nice

Sean76NYC 12-01-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by dougiebear (Post 4940448)
hey ying yangs who cares????

Its a BRAND NEW truck made in a plant supplied by the world on a just in time basis to supply the WHOLE FEAKIN WORLD!!!!!

Tell me how do you think THE WORLD will want their vehicle ordered?????
So MBUSI can build it on time and CHEAP
Remember too folks in America for our lack of choice we pay MANY THOUSANDS LESS for our ML's like half or more less then the World

Stop the whinning and B****ing shut up and wait!!! or buy a Ford or Dodge lots of them maybe even a Jeep LOL

Sorry for sounding harsh (especially Sean) but so many of you act like someone owes you something.
My ML starts at 60 G's Europe's trucks about 150,000 or more

:slap:

e

Whinning? Especially Sean?

Sorry pal....this is a botched launch on Mercedes Benz's part! I've owned countless cars and truck from various makers...BMW, Porsche, Audi.... Never ever a problem to get a lighting package...EVER! Never any crazy delays in building because of a shortage on WHEELS...(seriously)

I have friends in and around NYC that deal with leasing and selling cars and they all agree that they have never encountered the issues with ordering cars that they do with Mercedes Benz at the current time....case closed my friend.

Your tone is uncalled for and honestly very uncool! This is a public Forum where voicing your feelings on a subject is pretty commom, and where folks share they're experiences. However coming of as smart and smirk is just not cool wise Guy.

Fongletez 12-01-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by dougiebear (Post 4940476)
Fongletez
I think the dealer gave a date from previous stock order changed to priority 1.
Main thought is these lights NOT AT ALL like Audis. Most don't swivel on Audi only up and down unless top models. Its a fine print thing you will love the adaptive high beams. PC hard drives are climbing as factory under water and no suppy soon. Have to bite it on the Bi Xenon AHA lights for a grand its a steal. Heck 2013 saves me more $$$ but now would be nice

Dougiebear, I should have mentioned or been more clear, the xenons availability were not the reason for the delay. I choose not to add the lighting package on the MB since it is not a make or break for me. I ordered end of Oct for Dec build and delayed.. Either way, as long as i get the car on the new Jan build date i'll not complain. Any additional delay... have to cross that bridge when i get there!

Fongletez 12-01-2011 05:34 AM

Side Question while we are talking production... When in the build cycle am i to expect notifications from my SA on the VIN number, going into production, time to delivery... ect?

dougiebear 12-01-2011 09:08 AM

Sean maybe you have not read enough in these threads. NYC has never experienced what Japan has did recently and I hope they never do. So yes stop whining the apology was what was "especially" for you because you happened to be the trigger last night. UR responding as you have shows that you really do get what has happened and why. And that MBUSI has a world bigger than NY even bigger then North America. Almost every ML that came to Ontario had the optional wheels totally unexpected.
MBUSI has about a 3 day window of parts supply and only if I read it correct about 8-12 hour window on the assembly floor? So for me this over.

Sean76NYC 12-01-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dougiebear (Post 4940645)
Sean maybe you have not read enough in these threads. NYC has never experienced what Japan has did recently and I hope they never do. So yes stop whining the apology was what was "especially" for you because you happened to be the trigger last night. UR responding as you have shows that you really do get what has happened and why. And that MBUSI has a world bigger than NY even bigger then North America. Almost every ML that came to Ontario had the optional wheels totally unexpected.
MBUSI has about a 3 day window of parts supply and only if I read it correct about 8-12 hour window on the assembly floor? So for me this over.

If your referring to me knowing about what is going on in the World, Yes.. I have a pretty good grasp on reality and follow what takes place in areas besides NYC (And America) However...No other car maker to my knowledge is having such a shortage on parts on vehicles right now,,,What is mercedes the only car maker affected by current events?

Either way...I've been around many Forums for many years...And I take Someone calling me out as a whinner as an insult...All I'm doing is stating the obvious..Which is that in this day and age with a company as big as Benz these things should not happen,,,,Case Closed!

To the OP...Sorry your thread got derailed by this nonsense! Hope it all works out for you.

And Doug...And more issues,,,PM Me and we'll go from there pal.

caf 12-01-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sean76NYC (Post 4941544)
No other car maker to my knowledge is having such a shortage on parts on vehicles right now,,,What is mercedes the only car maker affected by current events?

Uh, seriously?

Mass air flow sensors, engine management control systems (Hitachi, for instance), back up cameras on Audis and Volkswagens. Most Japanese manufacturers have taken major production hits this year because of disruptions, and European and American auto makers have also been affected. The list goes on and on and on. The Honda plant in our state recently announced a 50% production cut back until the end of the year due to parts shortages. Yes, that's a 50% cutback in production.