MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Mud Flaps (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/427911-mud-flaps.html)

T Class 12-20-2011 09:34 PM

Mud Flaps

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to get some opinions on mud flaps on ML's with or without running boards...

Any one had them? Pros - Cons?

Any photos of them on the new ML?

jweezy 12-21-2011 07:05 PM

I think it would look good with wider rims and tires - anyone have them?

Shrdlu 12-21-2011 07:54 PM

I have an ML350 on order, and I investigated the mud flaps because I have always had them on my diesel pickups and I drive on gravel roads from time to time. I decided against them for two reasons:

--Cost: $500 for a four-wheel set seems expensive
--The photos show a black section under the rocker panels, which would help hide any rock chips.

Markled 02-16-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shrdlu (Post 4971943)
I have an ML350 on order, and I investigated the mud flaps because I have always had them on my diesel pickups and I drive on gravel roads from time to time. I decided against them for two reasons:

--Cost: $500 for a four-wheel set seems expensive
--The photos show a black section under the rocker panels, which would help hide any rock chips.

Not too expensive
166-890-00-78 - $113.00
166-890-02-78 - $113.00
Shipping - $13.00
TOTAL $239.00

was the quote i got from mb of bedford

venchka 02-16-2012 05:37 PM

I have had mud flaps on 3 vehicles since 1999, including my new GLK. The lower body panels stay looking new. Don't leave home without them.
As I recall, they were about the price quoted above including installation. Maybe less. Cheap insurance.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wayne

71406 02-17-2012 08:55 AM

While i dont like the look if i was kicking up gravel i would get them. If its only mud, dirt, salt or snow, i would go to the car wash more frequently and avoid installing.

jean7of9 02-17-2012 12:00 PM

I lost many rear mud flaps during parking maneuvers on snow/ice banks after snow storms. My previous MB mud flaps were fit to the body with clips only to prevent corrosion. When replacing one lost flap you need to buy a set of two. Unless MB improved the fitting procedure you risk leaving some behind when parking on ice banks, unless you are very careful.

300DTurbo 02-25-2012 03:41 PM

http://youtu.be/6yxmjHXpBaI

AT 1:33 you can see the front by design is Ok without mudflaps, but it looks like the rear would be where they are most needed.

geeaccord 02-25-2012 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 300DTurbo (Post 5072817)
http://youtu.be/6yxmjHXpBaI

AT 1:33 you can see the front by design is Ok without mudflaps, but it looks like the rear would be where they are most needed.

Glad to know it would do well off road but I will never be that far off..lol

300DTurbo 03-05-2012 10:22 PM

Has anyone installed these?

I went to the dealer and saw them they don't really give you much in terms of install hardware.

Flaps come with some red tape and 2 plastic retainer clips?

If anyone has a tip/clue on how to get this thing set up please do share!

Markled 03-05-2012 11:26 PM

Mud flaps reuse existing pins as well. Rear ones have about 5 per flap, you will need to drill one extra hole. Front ones have 2 clips and reuse about 3 pins. Plus another drill it yourself hole I think. Looks like you'll need to remove the wheels to get a drill in position. It's not difficult, just takes a while. No instructions so this is an educated guess.

300DTurbo 03-06-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Markled (Post 5088243)
Mud flaps reuse existing pins as well. Rear ones have about 5 per flap, you will need to drill one extra hole. Front ones have 2 clips and reuse about 3 pins. Plus another drill it yourself hole I think. Looks like you'll need to remove the wheels to get a drill in position. It's not difficult, just takes a while. No instructions so this is an educated guess.

how do you remove the pins?

Markled 03-07-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 300DTurbo (Post 5089784)
how do you remove the pins?

I'll update when I get to installing. At this rate it may be a while, given the weather and my laziness. Looks like a thin jewelers screwdriver might pop the inner part of the pin out.

ML12NYC 03-07-2012 12:01 PM

I installed the rear flaps over the weekend. Took about 5 minutes each flap. The clips have 2 parts. An outer ring which has rivets which holds the clip in place and the inner ring/pin which expands the outer ring. You have to remove the inner pin first. Use a blade or very thin flat head screw driver and also a needle nose pliers. Then remove the outer ring.
I installed the bottom of the flap first since you need to wedged it into the panel. This will hold up the flap when installing the remaining clips.

Note: The rear flaps does not come with or require screws. There is an additional clip hole in the inner most part of the flap. To utilize this hole you will need to drill a hole into the panel (you may need to remove the wheel). I defered and decided not to use that hole.

Hope this helps.

jweezy 03-07-2012 03:10 PM

Pictures?

300DTurbo 03-13-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ML12NYC (Post 5090653)
I installed the rear flaps over the weekend. Took about 5 minutes each flap. The clips have 2 parts. An outer ring which has rivets which holds the clip in place and the inner ring/pin which expands the outer ring. You have to remove the inner pin first. Use a blade or very thin flat head screw driver and also a needle nose pliers. Then remove the outer ring.
I installed the bottom of the flap first since you need to wedged it into the panel. This will hold up the flap when installing the remaining clips.

Note: The rear flaps does not come with or require screws. There is an additional clip hole in the inner most part of the flap. To utilize this hole you will need to drill a hole into the panel (you may need to remove the wheel). I defered and decided not to use that hole.

Hope this helps.

thanks i see what you mean. do you have any pics of the front install?

NickTH 03-26-2012 01:17 AM

According to MB website:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...W4#accessories

It says mud flaps are only $45...?

Wonder if they are avail at MB dealership at that price?
& how much for them to install...

300DTurbo 04-08-2012 12:57 AM

adhesive on the mudflaps is useless and doesn't stick to the body panels.

Mastcell 01-19-2014 01:56 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Within two weeks of taking ownership of my ML350BT, I was shocked to find numerous paint chips on the bumper and tailgate panel of the truck. Looking around, it seems that almost all Japanese/Korean SUV/4WDs include mud flaps as standard but not the Europeans', go figure! I also think the large 265/45 R20 tyres are also kicking up way too many stones.

Anyway, I decided to install the mud flaps. Like other posters, it is quite easy but the inner most pop-rivet took the greatest effort. The installation is quite self-evident once you have received the mud flaps.

Tools required:
Small Flat head screwdriver
2-2.5mm drill for pilot hole
Stair shape bit T20 or IP15
4.5-5mm drill to make holes for the screw and the additional pop rivet
car jack, wheel choke, torque wrench (optional)

1. Locate the plastic rivets in the wheel arch and remove them with the small flat head screw driver. The outer ring easily lift away once the middle pin is lifted. There should be 3 rivets for front wheel and 4 for rear wheel (one is underneath), use the holes in the mud flaps to locate all the plastic rivets that need removal.
2. Clean the painted fender panels, then take off the double sided adhesive backing which is prepositioned on the mud flap. Position the mud flap by re-inserting the rivets back and then apply pressure on the adhesive to get a seamless finish against the fender panel.
3. The front flaps uses two additional metal clips to hold the flap, but make sure the backwards barbs is on the same side as the rubber.
4. Line up the flaps against the wheel arch plastic moulding and drill a 2 or 2.5mm pilot hole. Once you are satisfied with the positioning, drill the final hole with the 4.5mm drill bit. It is plastic and take few seconds. However, either the wheel has to be removed or it needs to be turned to make room. I turn hard right for left wheel and vice versa. The screw is installed using a T20/IP15 star shape bit.
5. The inner most rivet for the rear wheel is installed the same way, except you need a larger hole, from memory, I used the 5mm drill bit. The tyres has to be removed first.

It took a few hours to do this, once all the tools are gathered, the longest time was spent taking and putting the wheel on. Local MB dealer wants to charge me A$660 for the set of 4 flaps, excluding fitting. I got mine on ebay for A$260 (US$210+freight), including shipping from US. Thanks ebay and thanks USA.

Chasvs 01-19-2014 09:33 AM

How about some pictures from a distance to show what the finished product looks like. May just want to put these on my ML350 BT. Don't have running boards, so front and rear would make sense.

Streamliner 01-19-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chasvs (Post 5912786)
How about some pictures from a distance to show what the finished product looks like. May just want to put these on my ML350 BT. Don't have running boards, so front and rear would make sense.

I would very much like to see photos of the finished install, from different angles as well. I didn't even know these things were available from MB. Thanks mate.

frtdog 01-19-2014 11:27 PM

I have them on my '13. Because they are a bit rigid you have to be careful when off roading or backing in deep wet snow as they can break. Other than that I think they look good and do help prevent rock chips on the underside.

Mastcell 01-20-2014 11:04 AM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 5912830)
I would very much like to see photos of the finished install, from different angles as well. I didn't even know these things were available from MB. Thanks mate.

Ok, I am posting more photos, but honestly, it is just mud flaps, they do the job and imo, looks good on my family wagon. Please forgive as I don't have time to take artistic photos, here are a few quick grabs. Sorry about the lens flare, the morning light here is really contrasty.

Streamliner 01-20-2014 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mastcell (Post 5913780)
Ok, I am posting more photos, but honestly, it is just mud flaps, they do the job and imo, looks good on my family wagon. Please forgive as I don't have time to take artistic photos, here are a few quick grabs. Sorry about the lens flare, the morning light here is really contrasty.

Just what I wanted to see. They look great. Thanks very much!

kmMLBT 03-07-2015 12:10 PM

Mud flaps for 2015 ML350BT with AMG sport pkg

Will either or both sets of these mud flaps fit on the AMG sport pkg lower body kit? We have the running boards on ours too. Looks like the front would not be a problem but not sure of the rear. Any other source of mud flaps that would fit??:nix: