MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Roof Rack set up? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/430734-roof-rack-set-up.html)

harvid 01-12-2012 11:44 PM

Roof Rack set up?

Has anyone outfitted their ML with a Thule or Yakima roof rack yet? Does the panoramic roof affect your choice? I suspect I'll need the extra space for the ML, especially if we travel with our dogs. Any suggestions for cargo boxes that won't interfere with the rear hatch opening?

Thanks!

Shrdlu 01-13-2012 11:26 AM

The MB accessories brochure lists roof racks, storage containers, etc. Pricey though.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...ts/accessories

GregW / Oregon 01-13-2012 02:13 PM

Rack options

Originally Posted by Shrdlu (Post 5003517)
The MB accessories brochure lists roof racks, storage containers, etc. Pricey though.

The Mercedes bars are nice, though as you say, pricey. The Yakima "Whispbar" looks like a similar aero design, but also pricey. http://www.yakima.com/learn/whispbar

jweezy 01-13-2012 04:18 PM

What is considered pricey? For a standard setup?

GregW / Oregon 01-13-2012 05:03 PM

Rack systems

Originally Posted by jweezy (Post 5004028)
What is considered pricey? For a standard setup?

A standard Yakima setup is around $200 for many cars, but I don't see an adapter for the round bars to the ML rails. The MB bars are $300 and the Whispbar rails are $349 without accessories.

Shrdlu 01-13-2012 05:23 PM

The MB Roof Rack Basic Carrier ($300) provides the capability to attach a variety of cargo accessories, such a Roof Cargo Container ($700), not to mention the Fitted Luggage Set ($270).

Then there's always the Collapsible Shopping Crate ($20).

harvid 01-14-2012 12:36 AM

I had seen the MB brochure online, but the MB Canada site is not so helpful when it comes to accessory pricing. As well, I'm not sure the MB rack is as aerodynamic as the Yakima whispbars rails or the newest Thule load bars, the aeroblades. Maybe I'll stop by the local Benz shop and see if I can nail down some prices.

Anabolic Frolic 01-24-2012 12:54 AM

I can tell you that the Yakima Whispbar interfere with the panoramic sunroof. I went to install mine tonight on the new ML and the sunroof could barely begin to open before having an interference.
Looks like the best option is the Thule setup shown here:
http://rackattackmississauga.wordpre...s-benz-ml-350/

Either that or OEM. I really like the smooth lo-pro look of the Whispbar, but the potential of somebody accidentally trying to open the pano roof while the racks are on top is too high to take the risk.

venchka 01-24-2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by harvid (Post 5002980)
Has anyone outfitted their ML with a Thule or Yakima roof rack yet? Does the panoramic roof affect your choice? I suspect I'll need the extra space for the ML, especially if we travel with our dogs. Any suggestions for cargo boxes that won't interfere with the rear hatch opening?

Thanks!

Do you have a trailer hitch? Have you considered a hitch mounted platform?
PROS: No sunroof problems. Not nearly as fuel robbing as a roof top box. I have a made by Thule box for my Volvo XC 70 wagon. It costs a minimum of 5 mpg to use it.
CONS: Probably a PITA to get to the rear hatch when loaded. Weathertite containers are a requirement. Back up with caution! :eek:

Wayne

GregW / Oregon 01-24-2012 12:33 PM

Rack cross bar options

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Anabolic Frolic (Post 5019018)
I can tell you that the Yakima Whispbar interfere with the panoramic sunroof. I went to install mine tonight on the new ML and the sunroof could barely begin to open before having an interference.
Looks like the best option is the Thule setup shown here:
http://rackattackmississauga.wordpre...s-benz-ml-350/

Either that or OEM. I really like the smooth lo-pro look of the Whispbar, but the potential of somebody accidentally trying to open the pano roof while the racks are on top is too high to take the risk.

Thanks for the info on the Whispbar fitment issue. The MB bars are pretty aero (pic attached), but the Thule AeroBlades look better, and the slide out ski rack feature is pretty neat! Looks like $150 for the bars plus $190 for the feet = $340, so a little more than the Mercedes ones. I have the older MB bars (purchased 2006) that look very much like the current ones - I find them very quick to put on and off with a cordless screwdriver with hex bit, and they are quiet.

T Class 01-24-2012 02:26 PM

I have the MB bars. I cant manage to get a quiet ride with them on.

What is the ideal location for the bars?

GregW / Oregon 01-24-2012 04:13 PM

Cross bar location

Originally Posted by Dr.GL450 (Post 5019848)
I have the MB bars. I cant manage to get a quiet ride with them on.

What is the ideal location for the bars?

On my W164 I have the front one about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the sunroof and the rear just behind the junction of the C-pillar and roof. Seems to be quiet; W166 could be different, of course.

Anabolic Frolic 01-25-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 5019687)
Thanks for the info on the Whispbar fitment issue. The MB bars are pretty aero (pic attached), but the Thule AeroBlades look better, and the slide out ski rack feature is pretty neat! Looks like $150 for the bars plus $190 for the feet = $340, so a little more than the Mercedes ones. I have the older MB bars (purchased 2006) that look very much like the current ones - I find them very quick to put on and off with a cordless screwdriver with hex bit, and they are quiet.

Greg,
I went to "Rack Attack" on Morrison St. yesterday after work and spoke with them about a solution. After looking at the Thule side-rail mounting adapters, I was not super impressed with how they looked... They are pretty ugly. Instead of the Whispbar "rail" bar (the lowest profile solution which is not compatible with the PanoRoof), I will need to use the K-328 whispbar side-rail adapter kit and then choose either the flushbar or through-bar system. The K-328 were out of stock, but they should have them this week. I think this system will look better than the Thule crossbar set up, but will cost more than the Mercedes parts (maybe +$100). I will be using the Thule Pull-out ski racks that are modified to work with the t-slot in these aerobars. I will post pics once it is installed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6...15eced61_z.jpg

GregW / Oregon 01-25-2012 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Anabolic Frolic (Post 5021267)
Greg,
I went to "Rack Attack" on Morrison St. yesterday after work and spoke with them about a solution. After looking at the Thule side-rail mounting adapters, I was not super impressed with how they looked... They are pretty ugly. Instead of the Whispbar "rail" bar (the lowest profile solution which is not compatible with the PanoRoof), I will need to use the K-328 whispbar side-rail adapter kit and then choose either the flushbar or through-bar system. The K-328 were out of stock, but they should have them this week. I think this system will look better than the Thule crossbar set up, but will cost more than the Mercedes parts (maybe +$100). I will be using the Thule Pull-out ski racks that are modified to work with the t-slot in these aerobars. I will post pics once it is installed.

Thanks for the research. Here is a post from a VW owner that had the same sunroof clearance issue showing the final installation with the K328 kit: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-a-Sportwagen. Looks pretty clean.

Anabolic Frolic 01-26-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 5021947)
Thanks for the research. Here is a post from a VW owner that had the same sunroof clearance issue showing the final installation with the K328 kit: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-a-Sportwagen. Looks pretty clean.

Thanks for the link/photo, Greg. On a side note, I wanted to explore the MB factory rack system since it would guarentee a perfect a fit and was also quite a bit less $$ than the Whispbar system. I called MB of Portland, MB of Wilsonville, MB of Bend and Dealerfit.com. They are universally backordered from MBUSA and it actually looks like none of these dealers have ever had the basic roof carrier in stock. So that pretty much rules out the OEM option for me.
That being said, i cannot decide if I want to go with the through-bar system like you posted above, or go with the flush-bar system like this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3WVUHcESzP4/S_...tall%20009.jpg

Officially, Yakima/whisbar does not show a fitment for the flushbar setup, but with the huge variety of lenghts available for the Flushbar, I am sure RackAttack can find one that will fit. Not sure which style I like best... and they are both the same price.... hmmm decisions.

dougiebear 01-27-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by harvid (Post 5004661)
I had seen the MB brochure online, but the MB Canada site is not so helpful when it comes to accessory pricing. As well, I'm not sure the MB rack is as aerodynamic as the Yakima whispbars rails or the newest Thule load bars, the aeroblades. Maybe I'll stop by the local Benz shop and see if I can nail down some prices.

Look same to me except benz locks and made for rack

T Class 03-28-2012 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon (Post 5020023)
On my W164 I have the front one about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the sunroof and the rear just behind the junction of the C-pillar and roof. Seems to be quiet; W166 could be different, of course.

So when you look up out of your sunroof you can see the rack?

GregW / Oregon 03-28-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.GL450 (Post 5122071)
So when you look up out of your sunroof you can see the rack?

I was going from memory, but it's actually just a few inches in front of the rear edge of the sunroof.

CharlieB. 04-09-2012 06:38 PM

250 pounds of cargo

Check out this site http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...ola/59109.html

Great looking cargo carrier that will work work the liftgate.

T Class 06-01-2012 03:24 PM

I still haven't been able to get these MB roof racks positioned correctly for a quiet ride, would you beleive the dealer said "it doesn't matter where they sit, you will always have noise from them"!

Any ideas?

misra 06-01-2012 05:22 PM

I have the Thule 450 with standard bars and a thule evolution ski box. I tried the aero bars wthe the 450r and both have major noise with the pano roof with or without the box.

My neighbor has a GL that came with chrome bars that I was going to try but just assume the wind will be an issue.

dougiebear 06-03-2012 02:52 PM

You may think I'm wrong but you have to have Noise Boys there is no way around it> ALL racks make noise and Im sure they are very close in db levels and the hrz level of anoyance.
(similar sound)
We stick something where it interupts airflow. Add a box or ski's etc and it all increases that much more Buy what you think you can afford and like the look of....
I have not heard of any supply issues for MB racks here. Quite a few of showroom floor.
Some of the non oem are good for transfer to other vehicles but more money.

GregW / Oregon 08-05-2012 04:05 PM

W164 bars no go on W166

Just tried the OEM bars from my '06 and discovered the rear is wider on the '12, so they won't fit.

cburda 04-07-2013 08:00 PM

2009 ML 350 basic roof rack

Even with only the cross bars in place you don't want to open the sunroof at highway speeds.:beat:
The noise will annoy:smash:

GregW / Oregon 04-07-2013 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by cburda (Post 5605551)
Even with only the cross bars in place you don't want to open the sunroof at highway speeds.:beat:
The noise will annoy:smash:

Well, there are trade-offs for function. I only put the bars on when I need to use them, so not a big deal if I can only open the sunroof part way.