MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   My low Adblue light came on at 3000 miles! (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/432628-my-low-adblue-light-came-3000-miles.html)

caf 01-27-2012 03:42 PM

My low Adblue light came on at 3000 miles!

The tank must not have been filled very well at the factory, is my guess. I was planning on buying and filling my own Adblue, but 3000 miles seems kind of premature.

GregW / Oregon 01-27-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by caf (Post 5025037)
The tank must not have been filled very well at the factory, is my guess. I was planning on buying and filling my own Adblue, but 3000 miles seems kind of premature.

Your dealer should do it for free since it's supposed to go at least 10k miles.

caf 01-27-2012 04:49 PM

Called the dealer. I think they'll fill it for me. They also want to look to make sure it's not leaking anywhere. They say you might see some crystal like residue on the underside. Of course, right now my vehicle is covered with crystal like residue--the snow melting combo being put on our streets right now!

Regardless, my working theory is still inadequate initial fill.

listerone 01-27-2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by caf (Post 5025144)
Regardless, my working theory is still inadequate initial fill.

Incomplete fill and/or leak almost certainly the case.A faulty sensor could also be the culprit however.I'm at 11K miles since delivery and no light yet.

GreginNH 01-27-2012 11:21 PM

Mine did the same although I only used 3 gallons. The dealer reprogrammed sensor parameters on Ad blue tank and everything is fine now.

caf 01-31-2012 02:29 PM

Stopped by the dealer today about my "AdBlue--Check additive" message. As above, I currently only have 3K miles on my ML. I thought they would top off the tank, but instead they told me they have another 2012 Bluetec that's doing the same thing. They said the tank is not low, and the sensor is correctly sensing that, but that the computer isn't interpreting the information correctly so triggers the light.

Apparently there is no fix for this at present, but they're "working on it". The service advisor inspected for external signs of leaks (didn't see any) and recommended I schedule an appointment so that they could take a closer look. I ventured that I might wait to see if a solution is found for the presumed computer problem before I take the ML in for the day.

I asked the service advisor if I would eventually get the "30 more starts" message, but he didn't know. Just wanted to post where I stand on the issue in case someone else experiences the same.

listerone 01-31-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by caf (Post 5030793)
Stopped by the dealer today about my "AdBlue--Check additive" message. As above, I currently only have 3K miles on my ML. I thought they would top off the tank, but instead they told me they have another 2012 Bluetec that's doing the same thing. They said the tank is not low, and the sensor is correctly sensing that, but that the computer isn't interpreting the information correctly so triggers the light.

Apparently there is no fix for this at present, but they're "working on it".

Sounds pretty lame to me.I would have demanded that they fill the AdBlue tank "just in case".But then,maybe I'm less tolerant and understanding than you.:nix:

Originally Posted by caf (Post 5030793)
I asked the service advisor if I would eventually get the "30 more starts" message, but he didn't know.

This,IMO,represents a potentially serious safety hazzard.The wife and kids are in the middle of nowhere (or in a bad part of town) and the car,for no legitimate reason,refuses to start? No thanks!

caf 01-31-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by listerone (Post 5031064)
Sounds pretty lame to me.I would have demanded that they fill the AdBlue tank "just in case".But then,maybe I'm less tolerant and understanding than you.:nix:

This,IMO,represents a potentially serious safety hazzard.The wife and kids are in the middle of nowhere (or in a bad part of town) and the car,for no legitimate reason,refuses to start? No thanks!

Yeah, I'm playing it pretty low key so far, but that just makes it more effective if I have to raise hell later!

lbun 02-01-2012 02:50 PM

CAF, I have exactly the same issue as you are, the only difference is that my warning light came up at 2800 miles.
I really hope the AdBlue tank wasn't full when they delivered my ML350, otherwise i do have a problem with filling DEF at every 3k miles. I did fill it myself with 2.5 gallons and drove well over 10 miles, close to 30 by now with at least 10 starts (someone mentioned that it will go away after driving couple miles/a few starts).
I also called mbrace to get some info from them, even though it didn't sound like the rep. was knowledgeable he also said that warning light supposed to go away after refuelling DEF. I wonder if there is a reset procedure for it similar to resetting Service A,B,etc. notifications?
After taking it to the dealer for 2 hours, as i was waiting for it, dealer said that i have to bring the car back it probably leave it for the day. As i was driving away the "AdBlue warning" went away but on the next start it did come up again. A few days later i left the car with a dealer for 2 days. Dealer says there is a glitch in 2012 ML350 BTC software and they are waiting for a new release to clear adBlue warning malfunction. Dealer says release supposedly has to come out in a week or so.....
I think this goes for all 2012 BTC's.....

caf 02-01-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by lbun (Post 5032739)
CAF, I have exactly the same issue as you are, the only difference is that my warning light came up at 2800 miles.
I really hope the AdBlue tank wasn't full when they delivered my ML350, otherwise i do have a problem with filling DEF at every 3k miles. I did fill it myself with 2.5 gallons and drove well over 10 miles, close to 30 by now with at least 10 starts (someone mentioned that it will go away after driving couple miles/a few starts).
I also called mbrace to get some info from them, even though it didn't sound like the rep. was knowledgeable he also said that warning light supposed to go away after refuelling DEF. I wonder if there is a reset procedure for it similar to resetting Service A,B,etc. notifications?
After taking it to the dealer for 2 hours, as i was waiting for it, dealer said that i have to bring the car back it probably leave it for the day. As i was driving away the "AdBlue warning" went away but on the next start it did come up again. A few days later i left the car with a dealer for 2 days. Dealer says there is a glitch in 2012 ML350 BTC software and they are waiting for a new release to clear adBlue warning malfunction. Dealer says release supposedly has to come out in a week or so.....
I think this goes for all 2012 BTC's.....

Yeah, sounds like you have the same issue. This sounds like a software fix, so I guess that's good. Your experience reinforces my decision to not return to the dealer until the fix has been confirmed. No sense in dealer visits if they can't fix it yet.

goinflyn 02-11-2012 11:05 PM

I might as well chime in. 3k miles and the Adblue display came on. I filled the tank and it took almost 2.5 gallons so I know the tank was full on delivery. After a week the check Adblue display is still on. I'm going to call the dealer on Monday and see if he has any new info. Btw, I get my def from a local truck distributor. 2 2.5 gallon containers for $25. At least you don't need the special bottles like mb made you use in the previous model. And yes, the aftermarket def is ISO spec for mb use.

300DTurbo 02-12-2012 12:51 PM

where to buy adblue?

Shrdlu 02-12-2012 02:05 PM

WalMart, Autozone, etc. Ask for "DEF" (diesel exhaust fluid). Comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. DEF is the generic AdBlue.

300DTurbo 02-12-2012 02:20 PM

thnx

http://www.amazon.com/Old-World-Indu...9074321&sr=8-1

its in the mail.