MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   CAR WASH Questions & Answers (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/445447-car-wash-questions-answers.html)

300DTurbo 04-29-2012 09:35 AM

CAR WASH Questions & Answers

What type of carwash do you suggest?

Those hanging curtain cloths that move up/down, side to side and then the spinner?

Pay 4 dollars and do the deed at a self serve place?

Hand Wash for $20 bucks by a bunch of highschool students?

Do it in the driveway with the which products from Autozone?

I have had swirls develop on some of my other vehicles and don't want to start that process on the ml.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shrdlu 04-29-2012 09:55 AM

I've always used those drive-yourself-through, touchless car washes. High pressure wash and rinse; no brushes or curtains. And no attendant adjusting the seat and mirrors to his liking.

LaserWash is one such franchise. But you'll have to clean the inside yourself.

shortspark 04-29-2012 10:40 AM

I'm a little different in that I like to work on my cars. I do all the general maintenace, tire rotations, filters, fluids, etc. I also do my own detailing. If the vehicle is really dirty I use a good shampoo (any name brand will work) with a little lubricant added such as Quick and Easy Wash. If the car is not really dirty or the weather is such that I have to wash in the garage, I will use the Quick and Easy Wash or Optima's No Rinse. Very easy, no rinse required and gets the finish as clean as soap. I always top after a wash with Duragloss AquaWax or Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. Twice a year I do my sealant work with Klasse products or Duragloss but that is more than you asked.

Unless you don't have the time to do it, you are better off caring for the finish yourself using top brand products. Not only the detailing and cleaning products but pay attention to things like buffers and towels as well (I use Cobra). You will be rewarded with incredible looks and protection and no swirls either if you take your time - it is fun too! Machines and brushes can cause too many problems and I simply can't believe they are good for the finish. Although I just asked my salesman to get me a BlueTec I have had my eyes on in another city, I currently own a seven year old Ridgeline that has never seen the inside of a mechanic shop or been through a car wash. It looks and runs better than new!

300DTurbo 04-29-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 5170718)
never seen the inside of a mechanic shop or been through a car wash.

Like you, my 300D has only seen the mechanix for them to tell me the seal between the trans and engine is worn out and leaking. $2800 no thanks.

I've done everything from Glow Plugs to Rotors to HeadGaskets. BUT! If you are looking at any new benz. Forget the good old days of greasy finger nails and bloody knuckles. I dropped 5K on the 7YR 125mile warranty. Yes, getting older, but also if a computer goes out you are out $295 for Diagnosis and then the part and then the install. AVG post 50K mile issue at MBUSA is ~$2000. \

Thank you for the detailed info. (pun intended)

NickTH 04-29-2012 01:02 PM

I also have a 12 yr old BMW 7 Series that I used to hand wash for first few months, but then been using a local car wash place that uses brush-less, but just cloth curtains, for past 11 yrs. I print out tons of coupons, so express washes are $7 - $10, & full service washes are $9 - $13. Well worth it since car still looks almost like new, with brilliance shine.
Think the key is to pay $35 - $50 twice a yr for a hand wax, & wash your car at least once a wk or at the longest every 2 wks.

shortspark 04-29-2012 05:30 PM

Yep, washing once every week or two is very helpful. I try to at least wash my windshield several times a week and use Protectant pads on the windshield blades once a month. Getting the bugs off is almost a daily experience, at least in the summer. I find that Duragloss Rain Repel is one of the best products for the glass as it not only repels water but cleans and polishes the glass as well. Stoners is good for just bugs, bird bombs and general cleaning.

As far as things going wrong with the car and diagnostic costs, etc., I think the secret there is to get a new car (if you can) as soon as the warranty expires. That is what I intend to do from now on. I don't have many four year intervals left in my life to begin with and since I retired in 1995, I have only put on about 8,000 miles a year on my vehicles. At the end of the warranty, I will just get a new car. I know some people won't or can't do that but that is the only sure way I know of to avoid those problems. A new car every few years is good for the soul too!!

NickTH 04-29-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 5171189)
As far as things going wrong with the car and diagnostic costs, etc., I think the secret there is to get a new car (if you can) as soon as the warranty expires. That is what I intend to do from now on. I don't have many four year intervals left in my life to begin with and since I retired in 1995, I have only put on about 8,000 miles a year on my vehicles. At the end of the warranty, I will just get a new car. I know some people won't or can't do that but that is the only sure way I know of to avoid those problems. A new car every few years is good for the soul too!!

I must halfway disagree here. Yes, we do this for my wife's car, as she gets a new car every 4 yrs, & always drives a car under warranty.
As for me, I drive try to make my car last 12 - 15 yrs, so as to maximize the bang for the buck. My routine is to always change the oil every 3 - 5 miles, using Mobile 1, replace fluids & other wearable items according to maint manual, & wash the car every wk or two. So after the $1000 or so "easy monthly payments" for 48 months, the folowing years' of maintenance & replacement items are dirt cheap. Plus I'm proud of driving an old dependable maintained car.

As to "A new car every few years is good for the soul...", does that applies to a new wife/girlfriend every few yrs...?

shortspark 04-29-2012 08:22 PM

"As to "A new car every few years is good for the soul...", does that applies to a new wife/girlfriend every few yrs...?"

Ha! I'm not sure how to answer that one! Do I lie or tell the truth? Well, I think someone's age is a factor in how long they hold on to a car. You like to hold on for 10-15 years and of course that makes the most economic sense. If I buy this ML350 I've got my eye on and hold it that long I'll be nearly 80 years old when I get my next vehicle! I don't doubt that with proper maintenance that BlueTec diesel I'm looking at will still be around and driving well even after all those years, but that is just too long for me. I like new and/or different cars too much for that to happen. I've had my current ride nearly seven years and I've had the itch for quite a long time now already.

What you say makes economic sense for sure but I for one have neither the time left on this earth (at least quality time) or the patience for it.

AcesUp 04-30-2012 09:23 AM

I try to take my ML350 to a hand car wash every 2 weeks. In between I use meguires brand soap to wash and Armor All foam for the tire shine.

I'm pretty happy with the meguires but not too sure if i'm damaging the tires by using the armor all foam every week. Does anyone have any experience with this or can anyone reccomend anything better for the tires.

thanks

venchka 04-30-2012 08:56 PM

Shortspark,
I'm going to send the GLK 350 to you for detailing. Grinning.
EDIT:
In the meantime, M-B of Tyler washes our GLK whenever we go to town.

Wayne

MAmendola 04-30-2012 09:24 PM

Have been using Griot's products for the past 18 years. I especially like the rubber cleaner and tire care products. My experience with the tire dressing is that it lasts for approximately 4 - 6 weeks. Water beads when it rains and the tires look new all of the tie. The key I have found is using the rubber cleaner and applying the dressing in multiple applications. Their products are ment to be used sparingly. A little goes a long way. Their web site is www.Griotsgarage.com. Well worth the price in my opinion.

krazyvshank 05-01-2012 09:55 AM

Do you think Auto Bell is a good option? I am not sure if they use brushes in their automated car wash.

jweezy 05-01-2012 02:01 PM

I wash my own cars, always have. It's good workout and burn some calories.

Does anybody else do this? Now that I think about it, no one else in my hood washes their own cars...am I missing something?

MinnBobber 05-01-2012 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jweezy (Post 5174349)

Does anybody else do this? Now that I think about it, no one else in my hood washes their own cars...am I missing something?

No----they are missing something, quality bonding time with their cars :)

jweezy 05-01-2012 02:08 PM

Some told me I have a Benz & BMW I shouldn't be washing my own cars. If I had a DB9 or a 911 Turbo S I would still wash it by hand. Like you said MinnBobber quaility time.

Not knocking anyone who pays to get the car washed, it just seems like I am the only one.

batuceper 05-01-2012 02:11 PM

Wash your own car

Originally Posted by jweezy (Post 5174364)
Some told me I have a Benz & BMW I shouldn't be washing my own cars. If I had a DB9 or a 911 Turbo S I would still wash it by hand. Like you said MinnBobber quaility time.

Not knocking anyone who pays to get the car washed, it just seems like I am the only one.

Could not agree more. I have always washed my cars whenever possible. I get some exercise, and some quiet time to reflect on life etc. Plus you get to know your car better!

twodivers 05-01-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by krazyvshank (Post 5173926)
Do you think Auto Bell is a good option? I am not sure if they use brushes in their automated car wash.

I use Autobell. They are "brushless" in that the use the oscillating and spinning cloths. I can't say that I have noticed any negative impact - better to have a clean car when you don't have time to wash it yourself than to have the dirt sit and grind away that the finish.

Hendrick will do a free wash too, but not as effectively as Autobell does, plus, you have to dry it yourself (which may not be all bad).

Hope that helps.

2012MLBlue 05-01-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jweezy (Post 5174364)

I wash my own and nobody could do a better and more careful job. Unfortunately every times wash it it's guaranteed to rain the next day!

dgiturbo 05-01-2012 11:27 PM

The owners manual of my wifes 2012 GLK says
":report: Never clean your vehicle in a Touchless Automatic Car Wash as these use special cleaning agents. These cleaning agents can damage the paintwork or plastic parts."

I always thought touchless was better, but maybe times have changed?
Pretty sure the ML manual will say the same thing as they both use MB paints etc.

jweezy 05-01-2012 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo (Post 5175459)
":report: Never clean your vehicle in a Touchless Automatic Car Wash as these use special cleaning agents. These cleaning agents can damage the paintwork or plastic parts."

Pretty sure the ML manual will say the same thing as they both use MB paints etc.

GREAT FIND!

krazyvshank 05-01-2012 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by twodivers (Post 5174445)
I use Autobell. They are "brushless" in that the use the oscillating and spinning cloths. I can't say that I have noticed any negative impact - better to have a clean car when you don't have time to wash it yourself than to have the dirt sit and grind away that the finish.

Hendrick will do a free wash too, but not as effectively as Autobell does, plus, you have to dry it yourself (which may not be all bad).

Hope that helps.

Thanks twodivers. BTW, I've decided to change mine to a 2013 order. I think I might have to wait until September to get mine.

venchka 05-02-2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo (Post 5175459)

On the road, given the choice between caustic, paint eating bug splat and a touchless car wash, we drive through the car wash. The paint hasn't fallen off yet, and the GLK looks great when we arrive at our destination.

Wayne

GA350 05-03-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jweezy (Post 5174349)

i always wash my own car like you. Its a great fun....

300DTurbo 05-03-2012 11:38 PM

anyone do their own oil changes still?

batuceper 05-04-2012 11:15 AM

Change your own oil?

Originally Posted by 300DTurbo (Post 5179088)
anyone do their own oil changes still?

How? :)