MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Airmatic noise while driving? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/451394-airmatic-noise-while-driving.html)

Vancity 06-12-2012 01:37 PM

Airmatic noise while driving?

My ML350 has about 5K on it so far, and the airmatic makes the normal hissing noises as it raises and lowers the vehicle. And automatically lowers itself when parked after a few minutes. But since a few days ago I’m hearing a hissing noise while driving, it is very brief sounds like a sneeze but occurs every 5-10 minutes while driving. It seems like it happening from the right passenger side. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
VC

iankayem 06-12-2012 01:56 PM

I certainly hope not.

I did not get airmatic with the W164 as I was scared off by the incredible noise of the ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement) in the 2000 Landrover Discovery.

However after several tests in different vehicles (2 MLs, & Porsche) I found the suspension completely noise free, so I will have it in the W166.

Perhaps yours has some minor leak which the dealer would be only too happy to repair.

Shrdlu 06-12-2012 03:13 PM

Perhaps let it sit overnight and then see if that corner is lower than the other side. Assuming the vehicle is parked on a level surface, you could measure the distance from the floor to a point on the fender, then compare the same measurement on the opposite fender.

Airmatics have been prone to slow leaks in the past, but not at your low mileage.

GregW / Oregon 06-12-2012 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vancity (Post 5237422)
My ML350 has about 5K on it so far, and the airmatic makes the normal hissing noises as it raises and lowers the vehicle. And automatically lowers itself when parked after a few minutes. But since a few days ago I’m hearing a hissing noise while driving, it is very brief sounds like a sneeze but occurs every 5-10 minutes while driving. It seems like it happening from the right passenger side. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
VC

My W166 Airmatic emits no apparent noise during driving. I'd get that checked out.

Correction: Meant W164

AZHiker 06-12-2012 11:41 PM

Greg, does this mean that your MY12 has been delivered? I remembered that it was to come off the line about today. So then the question is: what are you doing at the computer instead of in the driver's seat?

dougiebear 06-13-2012 03:04 AM

Guys if it works when you drive and its supposed too it has to make noise when you drive. It is supposed to be constantly changing and adapting. Try a different setting it may be less reactive.

GregW / Oregon 06-13-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by AZHiker (Post 5238417)
Greg, does this mean that your MY12 has been delivered? I remembered that it was to come off the line about today. So then the question is: what are you doing at the computer instead of in the driver's seat?

See my correction above - brain fart. Mine is supposed to be finished this Friday. Will come early July, but won't be able to pick up until July 18 because I'll be in Spain for 3 weeks. Just accepted an offer on my '06 yesterday.

Vancity 06-14-2012 12:29 AM

Thanks for the replies....I'm new to Benz's Airmatic system, I have been reading the manual more closely and the vehicle does change height when in drive, and visibly when in park. It lowers in sport mode compared to comfort, at different temperatures and at speeds between 40-50mph it lowers also.

I will keep monitor the situation if I notice any significant changes while driving.
And have the dealer check it out next time I’m in the area....I'm sure it's nothing though.

Cheers!